How do you add disk and clipboard redirection from a XP SP3 IE7 remote desktop client to Win 7 PC via WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• After using the previous version 1, I just installed WHS 2011 to overcome some lingering db corruption issues.  After some initial challenges it seems to be working ok, backing up PC's and laptops over a 1gb home LAN, serving up music, etc..  I have been trying to use web remote desktop services, via activex, to access a Win 7 PC on my network from an XP SP3 IE 7 client PC.  When the RDP dialog box comes up it only allows printer redirection.  Can someone tell me how to turn on/enable the local clipboard and disk access on the client PC?

thx...

Friday, July 8, 2011 4:24 AM

Answers

• This doesn't appear to be documented in the help:
    1. On the Remote Access Home page, click on the Connect to more computers link.
    2. Click on Remote Desktop Options.
    3. Set options as appropriate.
    4. Save.

This affects all remote desktop connections your server acts as a proxy for.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Friday, July 8, 2011 1:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by ADillo Saturday, July 9, 2011 5:00 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:33 PM

All replies

• This doesn't appear to be documented in the help:
    1. On the Remote Access Home page, click on the Connect to more computers link.
    2. Click on Remote Desktop Options.
    3. Set options as appropriate.
    4. Save.

This affects all remote desktop connections your server acts as a proxy for.

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Friday, July 8, 2011 1:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by ADillo Saturday, July 9, 2011 5:00 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Has this been communicated to the team? If not, I will post a suggestion for them?

--
    Don
    Friday, July 8, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Don, you may rest assured that my puzzlement gets communicated promptly, clearly, and concisely to the team, though channels that are faster than Connect. This is probably the most valuable benefit I see as an MVP, to be honest: the ability to reach out directly to the product team. :)

Often when I reach out, I get asked to "file a bug so it gets into our tracking system". Which I do as well.

Friday, July 8, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Ken, thank you for the feedback. I really forgot about this piece because I do it on install, new builds. There are many options here that should be looked at.

And, as a side note, you were gone for a bit so I thought I would ask... : - )

--
    Don
    Friday, July 8, 2011 7:07 PM
  • My "clear communication to the team" has been known to read like:

WTF is this b*llsh*t?! Fix it naow!

But usually (like this time) it's more like:

I happened to notice this very strange thing in the help. If you don't fix it, users are going to be wiping their servers en masse pretty soon. Of course, if that's what you want...

In other words, I'm not all that shy about rattling their cages. :)

All that said, I strongly encourage anyone who sees something like this to submit a bug report on Connect. Don't mention it here and assume someone else will do it.

Friday, July 8, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Ken;

Thanks for your help, answer worked to perfection...

-Alan

Saturday, July 9, 2011 5:02 PM