Downloadable software RRS feed

• Question

• I have a second hand computer that I have owned for six years.  I have just found out that the MS Office s/w is a copy and want to letigimise it but I am wary of buying downloadable software; I much prefer to have a disc that can be re-installed as and when it is necessary so to do.  If I replace my computer which I am likely to do because of its age I lose all the program software installed upon it.  Data is easily copied and saved but installed programs are distributed across different folders and directories and therefore cannot be easily copied for backup.  So here I am with a new computer and no software to run on it without the expense of buying it all over again, an extravagance that I cannot justify.  How do you square this circle for me?
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:16 PM

Answers

• Hi sebrofmit,

Downloadable software will usually come in a single file (usually an executable such as a <filenamehere>.exe type of file or in a compressed archive file such as <filenamehere>.zip).  To perserve the downloaded software to be used in future install or reinstalls, right click on the software file and select 'Copy'.  Now navigate to a folder (or a removable storage device like a USB thumb drive) where you want the software to be copied to and right click in the folder or drive and select 'Paste'.

I've bought a few download only programs in the past (some of which I have no idea how to re-download, if I wanted to) as well as some hard to find shareware/open source software (that I don't want to have to take the time to re-find out on the internet agin) and what I do is I have an external hard drive and in the hard drive I have a password protected folder called APP Archive.  I password protected it because along with the software, I will usually include a NotePad file with the Product Key and/or any other information needed to reinstall the software.  I also have a copy of that same folder on my Thumb Drive as well, but that's just because i'm mildly paranoid about lossing my data :-)

I hope that helps,
    Darin MS

Friday, October 9, 2009 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hello sebrofmit,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

Generally speaking, many of today's software vendors offer their products both ways, either in downloadable form or sold and/or shipped to you on media in a traditional retail package.

Personally, I like a Disc too:-)

In my experience, second-hand computers that came chock-full with programs are sporting older and most likely pirated programs, especially likely when there are no program CDs that come along with the computer.

Depending upon your individual needs for the different Office applications, you might be fine with Office 2007 Home and Student, which is the least expensive edition of Office.  I have seen full retail copies on sale for $79.99 with the purchase of a computer, and since H&S is permitted to be installed on up to three computers in a household as long as not used in a commerical setting, that works out less than $30 a copy.

There are alternatives as well.  Windows does come with a basic, passable word processor (WordPad) that is fine for simple documents.  If you work for a bigger company, many participate in the Office Home Use Program that lets you get and use one copy of Office for less than $15.  There are online office productivity programs from Google and others, and there is open source software like Open Office.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, most helpful but as I am not inthe dollar area it is unlikely that I will buy a computer from such a source.  More to the point though, how can I preserve downloaded software when I want ot populate the hard drive of a new machine and I don't have the original machine?
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Hi sebrofmit,

Downloadable software will usually come in a single file (usually an executable such as a <filenamehere>.exe type of file or in a compressed archive file such as <filenamehere>.zip).  To perserve the downloaded software to be used in future install or reinstalls, right click on the software file and select 'Copy'.  Now navigate to a folder (or a removable storage device like a USB thumb drive) where you want the software to be copied to and right click in the folder or drive and select 'Paste'.

I've bought a few download only programs in the past (some of which I have no idea how to re-download, if I wanted to) as well as some hard to find shareware/open source software (that I don't want to have to take the time to re-find out on the internet agin) and what I do is I have an external hard drive and in the hard drive I have a password protected folder called APP Archive.  I password protected it because along with the software, I will usually include a NotePad file with the Product Key and/or any other information needed to reinstall the software.  I also have a copy of that same folder on my Thumb Drive as well, but that's just because i'm mildly paranoid about lossing my data :-)

I hope that helps,
    Darin MS

Friday, October 9, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, it has put my mind at rest wrt downloadable software.  I just create my own disc with the download file and that can be re-used when necessary.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 9:15 PM