Just installed Windows One Live Care RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Windows One Live Care program and uninstalled ALL of the Norton programs after 15 + years using them, service has gotten bad.

Am running the "tune up " and so far am 35% and 4 1/2 hours later. Is this normal? With Norton System Works in 2 hours it was done scanning 675 files / folders. Did I make a mistake by switching?

Please advise, Thanks

Manny J

mjp5911@hotmail.com

Thursday, October 2, 2008 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hello Manny;

Since you didn't specifically say, did you use the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall ALL of the Norton programs?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Unless you utilized that tool, you could concievably have traces of the Norton products burried into your system and be running into conflict because of it.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Thank you Dave_M:

I was so upset that I gave Symantec the provilege of removing ALL of their programs from my system. After trying to give me Norton 360 for free and me refusing, they finally remove all Symantec products from my system including from the registry.

I have not installed Windows One Live Care I heard it slows your system way down. What do you think?

Thank s for your help,  Manny

mjp5911@comcast.net

Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:19 AM

All replies

• Hello Manny;

Since you didn't specifically say, did you use the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall ALL of the Norton programs?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Unless you utilized that tool, you could concievably have traces of the Norton products burried into your system and be running into conflict because of it.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Dave:

Thank you for your expeditious answer it is well appreciated. No I did not think of the removal tool, but am doing it first thing in the morning I just got home is late and am tired.

Thank you again and even for the link I may run it several times just in case and if I get the courage I will look into the registry for any more Symantec products.  Let us stay in touch.

Thanks and God Bless,   Manny

Friday, October 3, 2008 4:16 AM
  • I really think that the Removal Tool will solve your problem, Manny.  Please keep us advised if it works or not, perhaps we can offer some further suggestions if for some reason it doesn't correct the problem, but I think even one run with it should work wonders for you athough it strangely takes a while, maybe 15 minutes to run it.

Friday, October 3, 2008 5:48 AM
  • Thank you Dave_M:

I was so upset that I gave Symantec the provilege of removing ALL of their programs from my system. After trying to give me Norton 360 for free and me refusing, they finally remove all Symantec products from my system including from the registry.

I have not installed Windows One Live Care I heard it slows your system way down. What do you think?

Thank s for your help,  Manny

mjp5911@comcast.net

Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:19 AM
  • Manny J;

I think that the reports you've seen were from people who like in your own experience have tried to install OneCare with traces of previous security products still remaining on their systems.  The consequence of not removing all previously installed pieces before a new AV goes on is usually contention and an application that's perceived to be slow.  Although were the situation reversed, with OneCare installed initially followed by another AV, then that other app would be the perceived slow one, since it was the most recent install and OneCare was so much faster by itself.  OneCare like the other AVs does have a special un-install program of its own.

Personally, I'd just automatically run the previous publishers removal tool without waiting to see if any contention develops.  These forums have report after report of this "slowness", with the end result that the OP usually just fades away after they realize that it was their own failure to completely remove the prior installation before installing OneCare, even with the written installation warnings.  Take a look at how McAfee handles this and the extensive incompatibles removal tool list they maintain, and you'll see that this is a problem for all security publishers when users switch AVs:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107064&lc=1033

The really important point is to get some security installed, particularly if the Symantec removal has left you with no protection.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:00 AM