Redeployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In the Installation course material, it says on page 6-9 Step 3 to install MSDCRM and connect to existing DB. How is that possible when the DB isn't restored on the new server before Step 4.

Is this a mistake, or am I misunderstanding the text?

Another question; on the next page, 6-10, it explains the Import Org Wizard. Do I need to use that when I connect to existing DB during the installation of MSDCRM?

Thanks for any response!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:00 AM

Answers

• If you are importing an organization, all you need is the MSCRM database because the config database already existed in the current MS CRM 4.0 installation. 

The name of the databases doesn't have to be the same as the org name.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:48 PM

All replies

• I forgot to mention, this is version 4.0.

dnort wrote:

Hello,

In the Installation course material, it says on page 6-9 Step 3 to install MSDCRM and connect to existing DB. How is that possible when the DB isn't restored on the new server before Step 4.

Is this a mistake, or am I misunderstanding the text?

Another question; on the next page, 6-10, it explains the Import Org Wizard. Do I need to use that when I connect to existing DB during the installation of MSDCRM?

Thanks for any response!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:01 AM
  • The installation guide assumed that the DB is already backup from the old server and restore to the new server before MS CRM 4.0 installation.

Import Org Wizard is available after MS CRM 4.0 has been installed on your server.  The idea is to let you to import an existing MS CRM 4.0 database (with unique org name) to the existing MS CRM instance.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

my advise for a redeployment under CRM 4.0 is to Install CRM normally (not against an existing DB) and after this use the Import Organisation Wizard to Import your Data.

When you use a CRM "Professional" edition during the reinstallation you should set a dummy-name for the new organisation, because the "Import Organisation Wizard" must a assign different name the the existing organisation name.

A good "How To" will you find under the follwing KB-Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947272

The procedure for a redeployment is the same like for a downgrading a licence key.

Matthias

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:37 PM
  • Hello Jude,

What about the config database, is that one imported as well then. If not, what about customizations?

And another question, do you if it's crucial that the name of the databases are the same as the org name?

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:39 PM
  • If you are importing an organization, all you need is the MSCRM database because the config database already existed in the current MS CRM 4.0 installation. 

The name of the databases doesn't have to be the same as the org name.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for the name clarification!

But as I am moving DB server, I am also installing CRM 4.0 on a new server. That's why I'm a bit worried a bit about the config DB....

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:35 PM