Hotfixes RRS feed

• Question

• The best practice is to not install hotfixes if you do not have issues or symptoms of issues or specific problems addressed by said hotfix.  But, if your issue may be related or is similar to an issue a hotfix addresses, it is safe to install it correct?

Can they be 'uninstalled' if it does not fix the issue or breaks other things?

But I always like to keep my systems as up-to-date as possible with all current patch levels.  Thoughts?

John F. DiFelice
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:40 PM

Answers

• In addition to Gary's comments, there is a cost (downtime, effort, etc..) everytime you apply a software update (whether its a hotfix, CU or SP), so depending on how automated software updates are applied and the requirements for tests should drive the frequency of updates. For instance I assume you test every update on a staging/pre-production environment; lets say it takes 4 hour to apply (including backup etc...) and 16 hours to test, then you will have to repro these steps on your production environment so a total of potentially 40 hours etc... And don't just look at applying Project Server updates but also updates to Project Professional, and SharePoint as well..

I have seen customers apply CU every time they ship, others every 6 months, etc... so in the end it depends :)

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:47 PM

All replies

• John:

There's a big difference between a hotfix and a Cumulative Update. Hot fixes (a.k.a. QFE) are one-off fixes that Microsoft issues to address a specific customer concern. These may or may not become part of CUs and eventually service packs. So, the best practice is not to apply a QFE unless you know that you need it. Cumulative updates, on the other hand, are essentially building blocks toward the next Service Pack. Instead of making you wait for the entire package, Microsoft now provides these in 2-month installments, which is very nice for the community. The recommendation here is that you test these fully in a non-production environment before deploying to production. The order of danger is thus:

High - Hotfix (QFE)
    Medium - Cumulative Update (CU)
    Low - Service Pack (SP)

Anyone who has been in the business knows that even service packs can cause problems, so test, test, and test again and always have a means to fully recover your previous state no matter what change you make to your system.

Great question.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:15 PM
  • In addition to Gary's comments, there is a cost (downtime, effort, etc..) everytime you apply a software update (whether its a hotfix, CU or SP), so depending on how automated software updates are applied and the requirements for tests should drive the frequency of updates. For instance I assume you test every update on a staging/pre-production environment; lets say it takes 4 hour to apply (including backup etc...) and 16 hours to test, then you will have to repro these steps on your production environment so a total of potentially 40 hours etc... And don't just look at applying Project Server updates but also updates to Project Professional, and SharePoint as well..

I have seen customers apply CU every time they ship, others every 6 months, etc... so in the end it depends :)

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:47 PM