New computer RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Onenote 2007 on my work computer (had to purchase it myself - ouch).  I am also going to install it on my tablet.

My work computer will be upgraded in January.  Of course, I don't want to give my license to my employer.  How do I shift my Onenote license from my old work computer to my new work computer (i.e., de-authorize the old work computer).  I will not at any time use Onenote on more than one desktop plus my tablet pc.

Heath

Friday, November 2, 2007 9:07 PM

Answers

• Hello Fork,

First did you read the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) and check if your permitted to install One Note 2007 on a mobile device as well as your desktop? Please read the EULA prior installing this one multiple systems. 

I would recommend checking with the system administrator as well as your Boss prior installing any software on a work system. There may be policies against outside software because of security as well as other issues. First you would be required to completly remove OneNote 2007 from the old system prior re-installing it to another system. Also again please read the EULA. What version of OneNote did you purchase, OEM, Retail, other? This may have limitations as how you intall. After you remove OneNote from the old system you may be able to install to the new system. You will be asked to activate again. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:15 PM
  • Fork,

I apologize if I offended you but all I was only trying to provide you additional information. Your product key is used during the OGA activation. Example should a have Office installed on multiple systems and they try to update say a template then it would be able to tell. Hope this has provided you with the information you requested. Should you need any further assistance please post back. 

Thank you Fork and have a great week.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 10:12 PM
  • Hello Fork,

Please review Description of the Office Activation Wizard knowledge based (KB) article located here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293151/ . This should address your questions. As far as, "What do I do to reassign the license?" Please uninstall the Office Suite from the computer and install to an other system. Next visit http://www.microsoft.co/genuine then locate the "Validate Office" button in the upper hand corner of your monitor. Please click on the button. You may be requred to call the activation center and reactivate. You should be legal after removing the software and reinstalling to another system. 

Thank you very much and if I may be of further assistance please post back. Take care Fork and have a great week.

regards,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 8, 2007 11:41 PM

All replies

• Anybody?

Saturday, November 3, 2007 6:21 PM
  • If I uninstall, will the uninstallation register with the Microsoft activation servers?

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:04 PM
  • Hello Fork,

First did you read the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) and check if your permitted to install One Note 2007 on a mobile device as well as your desktop? Please read the EULA prior installing this one multiple systems. 

I would recommend checking with the system administrator as well as your Boss prior installing any software on a work system. There may be policies against outside software because of security as well as other issues. First you would be required to completly remove OneNote 2007 from the old system prior re-installing it to another system. Also again please read the EULA. What version of OneNote did you purchase, OEM, Retail, other? This may have limitations as how you intall. After you remove OneNote from the old system you may be able to install to the new system. You will be asked to activate again. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:15 PM
  • For the 2007 office suite (including Onenote) it's actually called the Microsoft Software Licensing Terms (MSLT).  My license designation is FPP (that is, I bought it as a stand-alone retail product).  The Retail License Terms state specifically that

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device. That device is the "licensed device." A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

a. Licensed Device. You may install and use one copy of the software on the licensed device.

b. Portable Device. You may install another copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.

c. Separation of Components. The components of the software are licensed as a single unit. You may not separate the components and install them on different devices.

Please don't treat me like some law-breaking idiot.  If Onenote didn't come with this feature I would not have bought it.

As for my employer, I have explicit permission to install software on my computer.  Why would that be any of your business?

Finally, as for the uninstall, I want to know how the OGA activation servers know I've uninstalled the software from the old computer.  Does the uninstall process send some kind of notification to Microsoft that the software has been removed from the old system?

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:47 PM
  • I will also note, that, according to the MSLT,

REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE. You may reassign the license to a different device any number of times, but not more than one time every 90 days. If you reassign, that other device becomes the "licensed device." If you retire the licensed device due to hardware failure, you may reassign the license sooner.

How do I reassign the license to new hardware?  That's basically the gist of my question.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:55 PM
  • Fork,

I apologize if I offended you but all I was only trying to provide you additional information. Your product key is used during the OGA activation. Example should a have Office installed on multiple systems and they try to update say a template then it would be able to tell. Hope this has provided you with the information you requested. Should you need any further assistance please post back. 

Thank you Fork and have a great week.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 10:12 PM
  • Thank you Stepehn.

It's still pretty opaque for me. 

So I install Office on a computer and I have to activate it.  Microsoft logs one computer.  I install it on my tablet.  Microsoft logs another computer. 

Now, if Office doesn't send an online message to Microsoft that I've uninstalled it from one of those two computers, when I go to install it on the new work computer I will try to activate and Microsoft will likely tell me that it's already installed on two computers.

My question is, how do I activate it on the third computer?  That is, how do I reassign the license to the new computer (obviously stripping the license from the old computer)?  Do I call Microsoft?  Or will the OGA activation servers already have some log that I uninstalled office from the original computer (presumably from some online communication when I uninstalled it from the old computer).  I cannot, however, believe that's the case.  Otherwise, say my old computer burned up in a fire.  I'd never be able to transfer the license.

So again, what do I do to reassign the license.  Do I call Microsoft, or will they already know?

What I don't want to have happen is for this to become an issue down the road when I no longer have access to the old computer.  I don't want to wait for some periodic validation for Microsoft to say, "hey wait, you have this installed on three computers."  I just want to reassign the license.  I want to be legal.  Why does Microsoft make it so hard?

Thursday, November 8, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Hello Fork,

Please review Description of the Office Activation Wizard knowledge based (KB) article located here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293151/ . This should address your questions. As far as, "What do I do to reassign the license?" Please uninstall the Office Suite from the computer and install to an other system. Next visit http://www.microsoft.co/genuine then locate the "Validate Office" button in the upper hand corner of your monitor. Please click on the button. You may be requred to call the activation center and reactivate. You should be legal after removing the software and reinstalling to another system. 

Thank you very much and if I may be of further assistance please post back. Take care Fork and have a great week.

regards,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 8, 2007 11:41 PM