Slipstreaming SP2 and or SP3 with the Disks Created by HP Recovery CD/ DVD Creator RRS feed

• Question

• I copied Sp2 and sp3 into separate folders on my hard drive.  I need to use an installation disc to slipstream together with either sp2 or sp3.
    Can I use the Discs created on my machine. Are these TRUE installation disks or a facsimile especially designed only for my one machine?

I occasionally restore my OS as to rid it of all the apps, that tend to accumulate over time.  I hate to download all of the updates to make this PC current
    when I do restore. Even a limited restore with my data staying intact.

Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks

Saturday, February 6, 2010 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hello lakotahope,

Although your post is off topic to the purpose of this WGA forum, I can briefly tell you what I have encountered.

It is my experience that HP/Compaq recovery discs are specialzed discs that contain the standard deployment hard disk image that reflects the contents of the computer's hard disk drive as shipped from the factory.

As a rule of thumb, it is not possible to slipstream service packs into this type of Recovery disc.  However, some enterprising folks may have been able to do so for HP/Compaq recovery discs, so don't give up until you thoroughly scour the posts at HP's user-to-user community forums.

In contrast, typically the Dell OS Reinstallation CD (at least for Windows XP) is a very very close cousin to the generic Microsoft Windows XP OEM CD, so with a little tweaking it is very possible to slipstream service packs into this type of Dell disc.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hello lakotahope,

Although your post is off topic to the purpose of this WGA forum, I can briefly tell you what I have encountered.

It is my experience that HP/Compaq recovery discs are specialzed discs that contain the standard deployment hard disk image that reflects the contents of the computer's hard disk drive as shipped from the factory.

As a rule of thumb, it is not possible to slipstream service packs into this type of Recovery disc.  However, some enterprising folks may have been able to do so for HP/Compaq recovery discs, so don't give up until you thoroughly scour the posts at HP's user-to-user community forums.

In contrast, typically the Dell OS Reinstallation CD (at least for Windows XP) is a very very close cousin to the generic Microsoft Windows XP OEM CD, so with a little tweaking it is very possible to slipstream service packs into this type of Dell disc.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Dan,

Yes, I discovered I was way off base when I made my post.  Wrong site, I discovered after I hit <submit>.
    Thanks for your prompt response. I will endeavor to persevere and find the correct forum next time.

Sunday, February 7, 2010 12:53 AM