Sell or remove shares without changing the cost base RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm catching up on alot of corporate actions on an investment account. Where splits have happened as a quick fix it would have been ideal to just be able to remove shares and keep the cost base as the same for all the shares originally purchased.

Unfortunately MS money removes the FIFO average cost if you sell for 0 or remove shares, which doesn't reflect reality (these original elements of the cost base vanish). If I record a split it then keeps the cost base the same but adjusts the original transaction details - making it hard to track (and it doesn't log what it does). 

Would be grateful if anyone can advise a way to achieve what I'm trying to do?

Cheers, 

Friday, September 8, 2017 10:23 AM

All replies

• On my system, in the Price History display for the stock in question, one of the actions is Split Shares.  This works for both forward splits (e..g, 3 shares for every 2 currently owned - ATT in April 1999) and reverse splits (e.g., 1 share for every 5 owned - ATT in November 2002).  It adjusts both the number of shares owned and the price per share for all previous buys and sells.
    Friday, September 8, 2017 11:53 AM
  • Hi, 

I'm catching up on alot of corporate actions on an investment account. Where splits have happened as a quick fix it would have been ideal to just be able to remove shares and keep the cost base as the same for all the shares originally purchased.

Unfortunately MS money removes the FIFO average cost if you sell for 0 or remove shares, which doesn't reflect reality (these original elements of the cost base vanish). If I record a split it then keeps the cost base the same but adjusts the original transaction details - making it hard to track (and it doesn't log what it does). 

Would be grateful if anyone can advise a way to achieve what I'm trying to do?

Cheers, 

Money does not have a setting for what you are asking for, but it does keep the purchase price of each lot in the register. The Quantity is adjusted, and the adjusted price per share gets an s suffix to indicate the quantity and price have been adjusted by one or more splits.

In the US, the sale reporting does not ask how many share there were originally, but it asks how many shares were sold and what the basis was. Money provides that.

If you have reason to want to know the original quantity and price, you can look at the split history for a security.

To see the  split history for an investment, go to the investment details.
    UpdatePrices->UpdatePricesManually Look through the table and find the entries in the Source column that say "Stock Split". It is a bit tedious, but the splits stand out more than you might think.

Before entering a split, you could record what you like in the memo of the previous buys in that security. I understand that is not what you are asking for; it's what's available.

Incidentally, the Demerger/spinoff actions of Money 2005 are not that good at tracking the allocated basis. That is fixed in Money Plus.

Friday, September 8, 2017 12:40 PM
  • Many thanks both for the quick replies. Good to see the stock split information is saved in the price history and that it can also be undone.

Although not completely perfect (if you want the MS money displayed ledger to match your brokerage statements for the initial purchases) this will work okay so long as I keep my notes upto date for the original purchase lots.

Saturday, September 9, 2017 4:19 AM