Microsoft Money International Version - Conversion to Australian Quicken RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the International Version 14 of Microsoft Money in Australia, using XP Pro, and have 15 years of data, which I need to retain access to. 

There is a third party conversion tool (Quicken) for Australian Customers - using the International version 17 of MS money.

Does anyone know how I can convert my Version 14 Money files to International Version 17 files, so that I can use the Quicken converter?

The Microsoft website has a Version 17 Money for download, but it is a US-only version, and won't work with my Version 14 International files.

Even if I was able to locate an International Version 17, I believe that it needs activation, and that Microsoft has disabled their activation facility.

I look forward to hearing from someone who has been able to succeed in getting their Version 14 International Money files converted using the Australian Quicken Converted. 

Regards 

Les Coyne

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:06 AM

All replies

• Is there an Australian version of Quicken?

Before doing anything else, I suggest you make a disk that you could use to reinstall your current version of Money.

See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx for a method of making a self-contained disk for reinstall of Money 2005 with the updates in place.  Do not lose the disk.

To answer your question, you could use QIF export from your Internationoal version of Money and import to get data to Money Plus Deluxe Sunset -- a US version. This does not transfer everything.

If you install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset on the same computer as your current installation and take defaults, it is going to uninstall your current version of Money. You will be "up the creek without a paddle" if you have not already saved out all of the QIF files.

Chances are, Quicken can import QIF files directly anyway.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:43 AM
  • Cal,

I'm not sure whether Australia is catered for by the international version or an Australian version.  However, I tried the sunset version 17 and it refused to process my file. 

I only recently discovered that Microsoft had end-gamed Money, so I've got a lot to learn.

Thank you for the link, which I've read and will action.  Until today, I had no idea that there might be problems reinstalling V14, so I'll definitely be creating my own reinstallation CD.

I'll also be trying the conversion technique you described.

Regards

Les

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:25 AM
  • Cal,

I'm not sure whether Australia is catered for by the international version or an Australian version.  However, I tried the sunset version 17 and it refused to process my file. 

I only recently discovered that Microsoft had end-gamed Money, so I've got a lot to learn.

Thank you for the link, which I've read and will action.  Until today, I had no idea that there might be problems reinstalling V14, so I'll definitely be creating my own reinstallation CD.

I'll also be trying the conversion technique you described.

Regards

Les

For Money, it is the International version. For Quicken, is there an international or Australian version to convert to? If there is not, then continuing to use the International Money version may be your  best course of action. You can import quotes and maybe transactions with some helpful software.

If you already uninstalled Money 2005, it would be too late to make your own disk with that computer. I hope you are not in that situation.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:58 AM
  • Thanks for your help, which I greatly appreciate.

Money 2005 remained installed on my production PC, so I have been able to create two CDs incorporating the 1105 fixes.

I have an XP program testing environment, and have now verified that I can reinstall Money 2005 in a standalone (ie no Internet access) environment using the CDs I have just created.

I also have Windows 7 test environment, and to my surprise, I was also able to install the patched Money 2005 and successfully test it.  (This, despite the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor saying Money 2005 was not Windows 7 compatible.)  Both these test versions of Money 2005 have now been uninstalled.

Turning now to Quicken.  Their documentation states that it has been tailored to meet the Australian Goods and Services Tax reporting requirements, and that their conversion tool is Australia specific, taking its input from the Sunset Money 17 version.

I have the documentation for Quicken’s Australian “Money conversion” tool.  Would there be value in attaching it?

Where to from here?

Now that I know that I can reinstall Money 2005 if I should have a calamity, I feel much happier.  Knowing that it runs under Windows 7 (32 bit) is also reassuring.  However, also knowing that it will never be upgraded, and that there is no vendor support, is a big negative.

I would still like to pursue the migration to Quicken, but this requires that I convert my data (15 years worth) to US Money 17.

A couple of years ago, I bought Money Plus Deluxe on EBay, intending to move to the then-latest Money version.  I knew nothing about International and US versions then, and was totally surprised to find that, when I installed it, it would not accept my data.  Today, I found my notes from my work at that time, and I had written “Tried to export the money data file to QIF format (one per bank account), but they wouldn’t import.  I’ve wasted my money.  Looks like I’ll have to stay with Money 2005.”

In the next few days, I’ll set up a test environment using Sunset Money 17 and my patched Money V14 to re-familiarise myself the the QIF export procedure.

Meantime, I’d welcome advice on the direction I should take, and any tips on any other ways I can convert my transaction to Money Sunset.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:30 AM
  • QIF export/import is the only available way.  The Sunset version should then let you run the Quicken converter.

You are well prepared. Good deal.

Not having updates is not all bad; you don't have to relearn the interface periodically. PocketSense can let you get quotes and downloads from OFX servers.

If you want to do the QIF export/import, I would follow the steps
    in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178830
    except in the first step 4, I would suggest this: start the name of
    the QIF file for the investment accounts with an underscore (_),
    and start the name of QIF files for the cash accounts associated
    with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
    _BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause
    the investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash
    account.  When the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify
    that you want to track the cash transactions.  Then specify that
    the cash transactions account for BrownInvestment was where the
    BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Then File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked.

Of course you will use a different filename for the new file, and
    you will have both versions to choose from when done.  I would also
    set up the backups to make sure they are using different names.

QIF dates can be MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY depending on regional settings. You are probably set up for DD/MM/YYYY. You would want the same regional settings in the machine you use for import as on the exporting machine.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:29 PM
  •  

It’s been a busy few days.

The conversion from Money 2005 to Money Sunset went smoothly, and all accounts in Money Sunset exactly reconciled with my Money 2005 data.  As expected, Reports and Bills did not come across.  Both are easily regenerated, in the event that I stay with Money for a while longer.

The conversion to Quicken completed successfully – though one account didn’t reconcile. I’ve yet to investigate this.

The Quicken product I’m trialling is very comprehensive, and my needs are simple.  Now that I know Money will run under Windows 7, and that the Quicken conversion tool has been verified, I’m thinking of staying on Money Sunset for a little longer.

I’d value any comments.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Hi Les,

Thanks for posting your experiences. I wish to do the same, but am starting from Money 2004 (International - Australia).

If I can somehow convert my file into 2005 (International) - are you saying that I can then convert it into Money Sunset without any issues?

I have tried directly converting my 2004 file into Money 2005 (US) and Money 2008 (US) and Money Sunset but failed in all cases.

Thanks,

Danny

Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Hi Les,

Thanks for posting your experiences. I wish to do the same, but am starting from Money 2004 (International - Australia).

If I can somehow convert my file into 2005 (International) - are you saying that I can then convert it into Money Sunset without any issues?

I have tried directly converting my 2004 file into Money 2005 (US) and Money 2008 (US) and Money Sunset but failed in all cases.

Thanks,

Danny

1. No. He is not saying that I can then convert it into Money Sunset without any issues, assuming you consider QIF export and import an issue.

2. Your available method is QIF export from Money 2004 International version, and import into Money Plus Sunset. See the discussions above for a method. There will be no advantage to using Money 2005 for you. It would probably be best to stay with Money 2004 International version if you have the install disk.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:59 AM
  • Thanks Cal - I knew it was a bit of a stretch.

Strange thing is, Quicken Australia, in their upgrade notes for Quicken 2011 Australia Version (http://www.quicken.com.au/library/pdf/2011_Quicken_Installation_Upgrade_Guide_final_CD.pdf), say that they only support conversion from Money v17 (ie Money 2008 / Money Plus / Money Sunset). Presumably this is because they are levergaing from the conversion program written by Intuit in the US. Even though they know that Australian Money users could only be on 2005 at best...

If the process was always expected to be from Money 2004/2005 to 2008./Sunset via QIF, before Quicken can convert it, why not just import the QIFs into quicken directly?? Anyway, have to weigh up spending the time to do what Les did, or just start next financial year (July 1, 2011) in quicken and transfger accross the balances only...

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:45 AM