Error opening Dashboard on Client computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have connector software loaded on three client computers. 2 clients will open the dashboard without problems, but one computer just returns this error message: "Windows Server Dashboard has stopped working - a problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."   Of course I have never received any kind of notification or solution.

Event viewer on affected client shows these two errors at every attempt to start dashboard:

Log Name: Application

Source: .NET Runtime

Date: 8/1/2011 10:29:02 AM

Event ID: 1026

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: ndp-PC

Description:

Application: DashboardClient.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException

Stack:

at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)

at System.Windows.Application.Run()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DashboardClient.App.Main()

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-01T14:29:02.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>22277</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>ndp-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Application: DashboardClient.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException

Stack:

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)

at System.Windows.Application.Run()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DashboardClient.App.Main()

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 8/1/2011 10:29:03 AM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: ndp-PC

Description:

Faulting application name: DashboardClient.exe, version: 6.1.8800.16385, time stamp: 0x4d6ed24f

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17625, time stamp: 0x4de88429

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x000000000000cacd

Faulting process id: 0x239c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc50575790ec8f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\DashboardClient.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 9aa6ccc1-bc4a-11e0-8893-20cf3071ec1f

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-01T14:29:03.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>22278</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>ndp-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>DashboardClient.exe</Data>

<Data>6.1.8800.16385</Data>

<Data>4d6ed24f</Data>

<Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>6.1.7601.17625</Data>

<Data>4de88429</Data>

<Data>e0434352</Data>

<Data>000000000000cacd</Data>

<Data>239c</Data>

<Data>01cc50575790ec8f</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\DashboardClient.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>9aa6ccc1-bc4a-11e0-8893-20cf3071ec1f</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Monday, August 1, 2011 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hy,

are the server and the client up to date?

have you installed the newest .NET on the client/server?

Best regards hudré
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Both client and server have all current updates.  I uninstalled the existing .Net and the connector, then re-installed the connector which informs along the way that it is installing the .Net Framework 4.  Got the current updates to the .Net from MS update.  Still end up with the same error message trying to start the Dasnboard.
    norman parks
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:08 AM
  • I had the same problem. What I did was to run the DashboardClient.exe as an administrator and I was able to run the program. Hope this helps. Val
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Val. This past weekend I did a complete clean re-installation of the server and the client connectors. I have three clients - two desktops and a laptop. One desktop and the laptop came back without issues, but the other desktop still suffers from the "Windows Server Dashboard has stopped working" problem. This desktop has a 64GB SSD boot drive with 2 secondary 1TB hard disks in a Raid 1 config. My Users folder, user profile, and some programs are on the secondary disk to keep the boot drive "lean and mean". I am wondering if this arrangement could be the cause or contibuting to the Dashboard stoppage. Have not found any info relating to this in multiple searches. Anybody got ideas? This desktop is the machine I really need to use to administer the server.

ndp
    • Proposed as answer by palski12 Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ndparks Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:20 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:41 AM
  • Still have the same problem, can't open the dashboard on one client computer;  other two clients work fine.  Unfortunately I have not been able to spend much time on this because of work related issues, and, oh yeah, a little hurricane named Irene killed the power on my street for 6 1/2 days!   Now that we are back up, any suggestions on solving this little problem would be great.
    ndp
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Has anyone solved this problem yet?

I have the exact same issue: Several other computers are able to log into the server via the Dashboard, but on just one Win7 64 bit PC I get the message:

"Windows Server Dashboard has stopped working - a problem caused the program to stop working correctly". 

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the Connector software on the Client PC.

Thanks for any help.

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Guess you and I are the only ones having this issue, mwolfod!  I still have the same problem on one client out of three.  Only saving grace is I can administer the server from one of the other clients, but that machine is not on my desk.  Hope somebody can help, because I'm stuck.  My impression from looking at the error logs in the event viewer (although I don't understand what it all means) is that the error is the same every time I try to start the dashboard.  Seems like somebody who knows what the error logs are saying would have some advice.  At this point I can only hope! 

ndp

• Edited by nd parks Monday, September 19, 2011 4:43 PM sign
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Guess you and I are the only ones having this issue, mwolfod!  I still have the same problem on one client out of three.  Only saving grace is I can administer the server from one of the other clients, but that machine is not on my desk.  Hope somebody can help, because I'm stuck.  My impression from looking at the error logs in the event viewer (although I don't understand what it all means) is that the error is the same every time I try to start the dashboard.  Seems like somebody who knows what the error logs are saying would have some advice.  At this point I can only hope! 

ndp

I'm famous for having unique problems.

"We can't duplicate your issue"

"I've never seen THAT before"

I'd laugh, but his is a true pain in the neck.  Like you, I am having the problem ONLY on the one computer I personally use to administer the server.  The other 8 or 9 connect just fine.

This is a MICROSOFT Forum, right?  And they have nothing to say?

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Microsoft rarely replies directly. Sometimes you'll see someone from Sustained Engineering pop up with a request for a Connect bug or logs, and sometimes you'll see someone from Microsoft putting in their own personal time to respond (like the guy who's been trying to help someone who can't get the connector to install; I doubt he's doing it on the company dime) but in general, no Microsoft responses in this forum. Remember and chant this mantra after me: "Windows Home Server is an OEM product; there is no support beyond that which the OEM provides, or that which I provide myself." (I'd put a smiley here, but overall I think this is really sad...)

As for issues where the dashboard works on one computer, but not another, it's not a server problem, and (if you've uninstalled and reinstalled the connector software) it's not likely to be a problem with the connector per se. I'd have to say it's probably going to be something wrong with the configuration of your Remote Desktop client, or something odd with networking on the PC with the issue. What exactly, I don't know.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Microsoft rarely replies directly. Sometimes you'll see someone from Sustained Engineering pop up with a request for a Connect bug or logs, and sometimes you'll see someone from Microsoft putting in their own personal time to respond (like the guy who's been trying to help someone who can't get the connector to install; I doubt he's doing it on the company dime) but in general, no Microsoft responses in this forum. Remember and chant this mantra after me: "Windows Home Server is an OEM product; there is no support beyond that which the OEM provides, or that which I provide myself." (I'd put a smiley here, but overall I think this is really sad...)

As for issues where the dashboard works on one computer, but not another, it's not a server problem, and (if you've uninstalled and reinstalled the connector software) it's not likely to be a problem with the connector per se. I'd have to say it's probably going to be something wrong with the configuration of your Remote Desktop client, or something odd with networking on the PC with the issue. What exactly, I don't know.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thanks for the reply, Ken.  Very educational, and I do appreciate it.

I'm going to try to remove the Client from the Server (at the Server), AND remove and reinstall the Connector software at the Client.  I'm not sure if the order in which I do this matters, or should matter.  I'll throw some Client and Server reboots in there somewhere as well.  Seat of the pants?  Yeah.  But that's all I have at this point.

I will post if I achieve success

• Proposed as answer by nd parks Monday, October 24, 2011 5:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by nd parks Monday, October 24, 2011 5:20 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:06 PM
  • I finally got the Dashboard working on my Client computer - without really trying!

I was working in my Music library updating album info and kept getting scripting error pop-ups. Did an internet search on how I might fix that issue and came upon a recommendation for SFC.exe, Windows System File Checker tool. Go to  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833  for instructions on using this tool.

Long story short - ran the tool on my client computer and it now opens the dashboard. It obviously repaired whatever file(s) were corrupted and crashing the dashboard. Unfortunately, it did not fix the scripting errors in Windows Media Player, but I am happier than a pig in ____ to have the Dashboard working on this computer.

• Proposed as answer by nd parks Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:15 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 6:42 PM
  • This worked for me! (run dashboardclient as admin) My setup had gotten to the point that when I clicked dashboard nothing happened except for an error message in event viewer.
    • Edited by renton_g Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:16 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:15 AM