WHS Connector Install Issues RRS feed

• Question

• OK - you guys got me through hurdle number 1. Now on to hurdle number 2

So, the PP1 update is now installed. However, after a few minutes, my WHS "health" icon turned yellow, inciating I need to install an updated WHS Connector. However, when I run the exe file, I keep getting an error message stating that WHS Connector has stopped working (or words to that effect). Thus, I cant get the updated connector installed.

Any suggestions?

Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:31 PM

Answers

• Ok I think I found the problem, atleast I fixed my issues.

There needs to be a folder within the shared software folder named the following

• Home Server Connector Software

Inside of this folder you need to have the following files.

• setup.exe
    • WHSConnector.msi
    • WHSConnectorInstall.exe
    • WHSConnector_x64.msi
    • WHSVersionUpgrade.dll
    • WHSVersionUpgrage_x64.dll
    • WHS_ConnectorHelp.chm

For me I found all of the files in the C:\WHS directory of the server. I copied and pasted them into the folder that you may have to make (Home Server Connector Software). There are other files that should also be in there which I could not find, so I left them out. Once I had the above files in the folder, I restarted my server.(maybe not needed) then I went to <servername>:55000 and ran the update. It worked as expected, it also worked by going directly to the shared folder and running the WHSConnectorInstall.exe.

Somehow, I must have deleted that folder although I don't know why (maybe someone else that had access did) anyway this is what fixed my issue. I hope this helps. I got this information from various other posts not directly related to this issue but piecing it all together came up with this answer.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Deleted
    Monday, June 16, 2008 12:28 AM
  • All replies

• On your home server do you have a sub-folder named "Home Server Connector Software" in the "Software" shared folder?

What files are in this folder?

what happens if you enter http://<servername>:55000 in a browser window from a home computer? 

Note: please replace <servername> with the name of your home server.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:41 PM
    •  

Ill check this out when I get home from work - thx
      Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:00 PM
    •  T. Headrick wrote:

On your home server do you have a sub-folder named "Home Server Connector Software" in the "Software" shared folder?

What files are in this folder?

what happens if you enter http://<servername>:55000 in a browser window from a home computer? 

Note: please replace <servername> with the name of your home server.

The files in the folder are:

Autorun

Install

Setup

WHS_ConnectorHelp

WHSConnector

WHSConnector_x64

WHSConnectorInstall

WHSVersionUpgrade.dll

WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll

When I go to the http:// site I am able to download the file WHSConnectorInstall

Friday, June 13, 2008 12:40 AM
    • Sorry for being impatient, but any follow-ups?
      Friday, June 13, 2008 1:41 PM
    • When you went to http://<servername>:55000 did you click on the big button to install the Connector?   Did it succeed?  or did it fail?

If it failed, please read the Release Documentation and file a bug report on Connect with the logs from this home computer and your home server.

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:36 PM
    •  

I need some clarification - currently my "health" icon is yellow. If I go the WHS console and cliock on the "Network At Risk" icon, i see a message that states to surf to http://MEDIASMART:55000.

Is that where I should be going because I dont see any "big button" when I navigate there.

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:56 PM
    • 1.  On your home PC open up the browser application, Internet Explorer

2.  In the address bar - type http://MEDIASMART:55000

3.  You should see a page come up with a button that allows you to install the Connector software

4.  Click the button to install the software, follow the prompts and steps from there.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:27 PM
    •  

Went to that address; clicked on "Download Now"; click on "run" in the next dialogue box. Still the same issue.

I will submit a bug report

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:41 PM
    • Stixx2002,

Just trying to understand where your problem lies. When I installed PP1 on my machine and the connector software on my clients needed to update I:

1. Went to the "shared folders on server" shortcut on my client desktop

2. Opened the "Software" folder

3. Clicked on "Home Server Connector Software"

4. Double Clicked on the "Setup.exe" icon.

These steps worked on my machne. I just followed the steps as required.

Also you could first remove the connector software from the client with "Add Remove Programs" and then do a reinstall as above to see if that will get the connector issue solved.

Possibly your install has other issues that will not allow the install if so I am sure sending in the proper codes to Connect will get the issue resolved.

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:45 PM
    •  

Previously tried everything you outlined - no luck.

Strange because it seems noone else is experiencing this problem. Using the current (non PP1 connector), everything installs and works perfect.

Friday, June 13, 2008 7:23 PM
    • I to am having the exact problem I cannot install using http://servername:55000. It already has my correct server name and adds  /setup/WHSConnectorInstall.exe after the 55000. In the end I get a message stating page cannot be found.  HTTP error 404 file not found.  This happens for all computers. A word about uninstalling connnector, I did so and lost all my share drives and any manual attempt to install WHSConnectorInstall.exe fails as well. Now I have a computer that is completely disconnected from my WHS, and no way so far to get it back together.

I've tried to manually install both WHSConnector.msi and WHSConnectorInstall.exe both fail.

WHSConnectorInstall.exe fails with the message

"This operationcannor be completed at this time. please try again later. If the problem persists, Please contact Product Support"

I'm stuck!!!

Here is the exact window after attempting to reach http://servername:55000......

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

• Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
      • If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
      • Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
      Internet Information Services (IIS)

Sunday, June 15, 2008 1:38 AM
    •  jdbrewe1 wrote:
      I to am having the exact problem I cannot install using http://servername:55000. It already has my correct server name and adds  /setup/WHSConnectorInstall.exe after the 55000. In the end I get a message stating page cannot be found.  HTTP error 404 file not found.  This happens for all computers. A word about uninstalling connnector, I did so and lost all my share drives and any manual attempt at an install WHSConnectorInstall.exe fails as well. No I have a computer that is completely disconnected from my WHS, and no way so far to get it back together.

You don't have to install the connector software to access the network shares.  Put the WHS on the same workgroup as your computers, then your WHS will show up in your network places and you can access all of the network shares.  If you want to use the backup feature, you'll need the connector software installed.

Uninstall the connector software, then navigate to your WHS (since it is now in your workgroup, it's very easy to "jump" to your WHS) and find the /Software/Home Server Connector Software/ folder.  You can either copy this to your computer or run it from the share.  Hopefully it will install correctly.

Just a little FYI.
      Sunday, June 15, 2008 2:08 AM
    • Your correct they are there... guess I've never looked for them there before! Thanks

Sunday, June 15, 2008 2:16 AM
    • I am having the same problems but when i try to navigate past the "download software now" screen, i get the HTTP 500 error code and when i try to execute the files through Shared files or through the workgroup " i get  messages saying " invalid file handle" and it will not let me copy folder to client computer to execute that workaround.

If i cant get connector to work then i guess I will unistall PP1 until the official build is out.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:50 AM
    •  kegobeer wrote:
       jdbrewe1 wrote:
      I to am having the exact problem I cannot install using http://servername:55000. It already has my correct server name and adds  /setup/WHSConnectorInstall.exe after the 55000. In the end I get a message stating page cannot be found.  HTTP error 404 file not found.  This happens for all computers. A word about uninstalling connnector, I did so and lost all my share drives and any manual attempt at an install WHSConnectorInstall.exe fails as well. No I have a computer that is completely disconnected from my WHS, and no way so far to get it back together.

You don't have to install the connector software to access the network shares.  Put the WHS on the same workgroup as your computers, then your WHS will show up in your network places and you can access all of the network shares.  If you want to use the backup feature, you'll need the connector software installed.

Uninstall the connector software, then navigate to your WHS (since it is now in your workgroup, it's very easy to "jump" to your WHS) and find the /Software/Home Server Connector Software/ folder.  You can either copy this to your computer or run it from the share.  Hopefully it will install correctly.

Just a little FYI.

I have tried to install Connector from the software folder (as above) after failing via the http shortcut but always end up with the same error messages after inputting administrator password "This operation cannot be completed at this time. please try again later. If the problem persists, Please contact Product Support". Incidentally, my AV program quarantined some registry changes but I tried again with AV off and it made no difference.I really don't want to give up and uninstall PP1 so any help gratefully received.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 5:43 PM
    • Ok I think I found the problem, atleast I fixed my issues.

There needs to be a folder within the shared software folder named the following

• Home Server Connector Software

Inside of this folder you need to have the following files.

• setup.exe
      • WHSConnector.msi
      • WHSConnectorInstall.exe
      • WHSConnector_x64.msi
      • WHSVersionUpgrade.dll
      • WHSVersionUpgrage_x64.dll
      • WHS_ConnectorHelp.chm

For me I found all of the files in the C:\WHS directory of the server. I copied and pasted them into the folder that you may have to make (Home Server Connector Software). There are other files that should also be in there which I could not find, so I left them out. Once I had the above files in the folder, I restarted my server.(maybe not needed) then I went to <servername>:55000 and ran the update. It worked as expected, it also worked by going directly to the shared folder and running the WHSConnectorInstall.exe.

Somehow, I must have deleted that folder although I don't know why (maybe someone else that had access did) anyway this is what fixed my issue. I hope this helps. I got this information from various other posts not directly related to this issue but piecing it all together came up with this answer.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:31 PM
  • I tried that and it didnt work. I kept getting "invalid file handle" as an error message.

Maybe i should delete the folder for Home connector software that is in the shared folder and recreate it. 

I just wish someone would just write an guide that is understandable and has ALL the problems and solutions to it and is updated daily so a person who is trying to use what is obviously a excellent program to make it WORK.

Yes, I am ranting and I am frustrated. Someone help.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:39 PM
  • There is such a place - check out the beta documentation and go to the official beta feedback site.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:38 PM