none
VSS snapshot restore is failing due to SCSI serial number mismatch

Question

• Hi,

I have a win2k12R2 Vm with single VDisk. Triggered a VSS quiesce operation on this VM and took snapshot of the VDisk. Cloned a VM from the snapshotted Vdisk and the VM is not booting. If I don't quiesce VM using VSS, repeat the experiment, VM is able to boot. From the tedious debugging, finally found that this is because of the SCSI serial number mismatch. Looks like VSS is marking SCSI serial number in the BCD. When the VM is restored from this VDisk, On boot, VM does SCSI enquiry to get the disk serial number. If the serial n umber doesn't match, VM is not booting. In this case, As the Disk is snapshotted, hypervisor returning different serial number.

The question is, Where does VSS store this SCSI serial number information ? Is there a way to avoid this ? I am using hardware provider. I need application consistent snapshots of this VM. If i am able to take application consistent snapshots and not able to boot the VM from that, there is no point of taking the snapshots :). I am stuck here, Any suggestions how to avoid this ?

• Moved by Shu 2017 Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:22 AM off-topic
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:23 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, pranay.ega,

Thank you for posting on VC++ forum.

However, I think this thread is not related to VC++, and I do not know which forum is more appropriate. So I will help you move your post to “Where is the Forum For…?” forum, your post will be moved to the suitable forum if someone knows there. 

Best regards,

shu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:22 AM
  • Hello,

Windows Server forums are over here:

Windows Server

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:55 PM