WHS Restore CD does not detect on-board NIC RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore a brand new HP-Mini netbook with Windows XP SP3.

This machine was backed up over ethernet to WHS and the wireless connection is encrypted.

I have copied drivers from the backup on WHS to a jump drive and then booted from the WHS Retsore CD.

After scanning for hardware it says that no networking devices have been found - so I let it scan the jump drive and it only finds the Wireless NIC.

Because the wireless is encrypted it can't find the WHS.

Why can't it detect the ethernet port and use that?

Anyone got any ideas other than turn off encyption? (I have to completely reset my wireless router as DHCP is handled by another router and I don't know the IP of the wireless router).
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:06 AM

Answers

• Drivers are sometimes difficult, since they may not be designed for Windows PE environment.
    Try to get the Windows Vista 32 Bit drivers for the network chip and unpack those to the USB stick.
    Also disable the WLAN adapter in the Bios.
    Another attempt would be, to remove encryption of the WLAN connection temporary, if your PCs are all protected by a firewall or the environment of your appartment is safe enough.
    Finally (I don't know the device) it may be possible to follow the procedure outlined in this FAQ, if a second PC is available.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by prickly Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:28 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:47 AM

All replies

• You can try to download the drivers for your device from hp's website and use those during restore.  It's a mini so I suppose removing the drive and putting it into another pc is not really an option.  Where on the jump drive did you put the drivers?  
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:10 AM
  • I tried adding the drivers from the HP site to the jump drive: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3832471

I added the Marvel LAN driver (clicked on the .exe and extracted the files and copied them to the jump drive).

The actual folder on the jump drive is called hp-mini-restore-drivers (which works for finding drivers for the wireless).

I just went back into the "Windows Home Server Drivers For Restore" folder on WHS and started looking at the .inf files and did see the driver for the on-board ethernet: 

; Supported hardware: Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller

So the drivers for the ethernet are there and I have since enabled the option to boot from the onboard ethernet (I can see the green LED on the ethernet port now).

The problem has to be either the driver (which seems less likely?) or simply the fact that the hardware is not being detected properly? The port works fine when the machine is booted so I guess that this is an issue with the WHS Restore process?

Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:56 AM
  • If you haven't yet done so, I'd suggest installing (to your WHS) and burning the latest version (from July 2008) of the WHS Restore CD:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26881305-91cc-4f37-b1fc-3813c423df2c&displaylang=en

It does a bit better with hadrware detection than the RTM version did.
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:27 AM
  • Chris Cupler said:

If you haven't yet done so, I'd suggest installing (to your WHS) and burning the latest version (from July 2008) of the WHS Restore CD:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26881305-91cc-4f37-b1fc-3813c423df2c&displaylang=en

Thanks for the advice Chris, that is actually the version that I am booting from.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:42 AM
  • Drivers are sometimes difficult, since they may not be designed for Windows PE environment.
    Try to get the Windows Vista 32 Bit drivers for the network chip and unpack those to the USB stick.
    Also disable the WLAN adapter in the Bios.
    Another attempt would be, to remove encryption of the WLAN connection temporary, if your PCs are all protected by a firewall or the environment of your appartment is safe enough.
    Finally (I don't know the device) it may be possible to follow the procedure outlined in this FAQ, if a second PC is available.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by prickly Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:28 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:47 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Olaf

Thank-you Olaf - that worked a treat!

Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:27 PM