Import & Activity Feeds RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom solution that was prepared on a 30-day trial account. I now try to import this into an on-premise setup but get the error "Import of solution ... failed. The following components are missing.... msdyn-ActivityFeeds.Form.js required by Contact (Form), msdyn_/RecordWall.htm required by Contact(Form), etc"

I understand from the linke http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2012/01/26/activity-feeds-solution-amp-development-environment.aspx that I could remove the Activity Feeds by going to Settings->System->Activity Feeds Configuration... Under settings I have the sub category System but under system there is only Administration, Data Management, etc but no Activity Feeds Configuration. Where is that or can I just remove the solution ActivityFeeds and it will take care of the rest?

I also found a link that shows how to install the Activity Feed on a targe system http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2012/01/26/activity-feeds-solution-amp-development-environment.aspx However, it seems to me that the solution will be more compatible if it does not depend on Activity Feeds or is there something I might be missing?

Friday, July 6, 2012 6:46 AM

Answers

• Hello -

The issue that you come across is that your solution was built on an environment that had activity feeds installed, but your current on premise environment does not have the solution.  I suggest going to http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-us/applications/microsoft-dynamics-crm-activity-feeds-12884926310, downloading the solution, and importing it into your on premise organization.  After that, make sure you enable activity feeds on all of the entities that you had it enabled on in the trial online environment (contact entity at least).  Once you have enabled contact (and other entities), publish the changes, immediately disable the entities for activity feeds, publish changes, then delete the activity feeds solution.

Going through these steps will remove all of your dependneices on the Activity Feeds solution.  Note that, if you do want a dependency on the Activity Feeds solution, then you can leave your solution as is.

Hope this helps!

-Brandon

• Marked as answer by hfaun Friday, October 5, 2012 5:31 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:08 PM

All replies

• Hello -

The issue that you come across is that your solution was built on an environment that had activity feeds installed, but your current on premise environment does not have the solution.  I suggest going to http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-us/applications/microsoft-dynamics-crm-activity-feeds-12884926310, downloading the solution, and importing it into your on premise organization.  After that, make sure you enable activity feeds on all of the entities that you had it enabled on in the trial online environment (contact entity at least).  Once you have enabled contact (and other entities), publish the changes, immediately disable the entities for activity feeds, publish changes, then delete the activity feeds solution.

Going through these steps will remove all of your dependneices on the Activity Feeds solution.  Note that, if you do want a dependency on the Activity Feeds solution, then you can leave your solution as is.

Hope this helps!

-Brandon

• Marked as answer by hfaun Friday, October 5, 2012 5:31 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Thanks Brandon. I didn't to mess up my on premise installation so here is what I did:

* Create new CRM 2011 trial account
    * Import my solution which depends on the Activity Feeds
    * In "Settings"->"System"->"Activity Feeds Configuration" delete all but User
    * "Publish All Customizations" for my solution and "ActivityFeeds" (might not be necessary)
    * In "Settings"->"System"->"Activity Feeds Configuration" delete User (now there is nothing there)
    * "Publish All Customizations" for my solution and "ActivityFeeds" (might not be necessary)
    * In "Settings"->"Customizations"->"Solutions" delete "ActivityFeeds" solution
    * Publish all customizations (required)
    * Export my solution
    * Import solution in my on premise CRM

The import now succeeded. Actually, I think I did the same thing before but I deleted all entities in "Activity Feeds Configuration" at the same time. I also might not have published the customizations or if I did only just before exporting. Anyways, with those steps it worked.

• Edited by hfaun Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:04 PM Make it more readable.
    Friday, October 5, 2012 5:20 AM