Hello, would it be possible to do the following? RRS feed

• Question

• I just ordered the parts to build my own Windows Home Server, and I was wondering if the following could be done.

1.) Let's see I'm somewhere and say, Microsoft.com for whatever reason is blocked at this place. Could I connect to my home server and access Microsoft.com via my Home Server? (Which I am building to be always on).

2.) Say I'm somewhere I am browsing the internet and then suddenly want to start downloading a big file, but I want it to be on my home server instead of the computer I am using (maybe a library computer). Is there a way I could get a bunch of links (perhaps rapidshare, or batch download), copy them, and paste them into a downloader, which would download them for me? 

a. If the following is possible, does WHS have the functionality to unzip/rar files remotely? (Assuming I have WinRAR installed)

3.) Finally, I know WHS can store all my photos/music/videos, but can I get on any computer and play them back via YouTube type interface? Or, at the very least, download them?  And, I can buy a domain name and set it to be my windows home server name, right? (if I do this, could I have multiple home servers and have say the first one be www.domainname.com/server1/[serverfiles], www.domainname.com/server2[serverfiles]? Using multiple servers, but the same domain?

Thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:08 AM

All replies

• 1) Yes, you have to set up a VPN

2) Yes, there are tools to do bulk downloads... none specific to WHS that I know of
    There is an Unzipper addin I believe

3) You can download any file from the Remote Access page. There is no playback though, you're going to have to use a software like ORB
    You can set up your own domain name, but you'd need to set up the security certificate yourself. Also you would need to configure IIS to do the dynamic paths.

All and all, these are features that aren't necessarily built into WHS. But they are certainly possible as WHS is using Windows Server 2003
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 9:05 AM
  • I could swear I responded to this days ago. Oh well...

None of the features you ask about are supported in box by Windows Home Server. 
    1. Windows Home Server will allow you to connect to a home computer (running a supported version of Windows) using Remote Desktop and then view web pages from that PC. But connecting directly to your home server, no.
    2. Windows Home Server doesn't include a download service that you coult configure to download files for you. I'm also not familiar with any add-in that will do this in the way you describe.
      2a. No. You would need to unzip files manually, or find a third party add-in that would do that for you (I believe such an add-in exists or at least did at one point).
    3. Windows Home Server includes a simple file browser that will let you download files from your server and play them locally. The functionality to stream to a device somewhere on the internet would require third party software. I think some are using SageTV on their server, and others are using Orb. Note that these both require desktop access, as they are not Windows Home Server add-ins. SageTV, in particular, is likely to cause you headaches if you ever need to reinstall the Windows Home Server software (in case of OS corruption for example) due to the amount of customization it allows/requires.
    Regarding multiple servers all accessible from the internet at once, you have several options, all unsupported and rather complex. You could configure a "reverse proxy server", which would take care of that for you. Or you could configure one of your servers to change the ports it uses from the standards. This is unsupported, but you'll find information on doing so in these forums. You might even be able to configure your router to forward different ports to your server's standard ports.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 21, 2009 9:40 PM
  • I could swear I responded to this days ago. Oh well...

None of the features you ask about are supported in box by Windows Home Server. 
    1. Windows Home Server will allow you to connect to a home computer (running a supported version of Windows) using Remote Desktop and then view web pages from that PC. But connecting directly to your home server, no.
    2. Windows Home Server doesn't include a download service that you coult configure to download files for you. I'm also not familiar with any add-in that will do this in the way you describe.
      2a. No. You would need to unzip files manually, or find a third party add-in that would do that for you (I believe such an add-in exists or at least did at one point).
    3. Windows Home Server includes a simple file browser that will let you download files from your server and play them locally. The functionality to stream to a device somewhere on the internet would require third party software. I think some are using SageTV on their server, and others are using Orb. Note that these both require desktop access, as they are not Windows Home Server add-ins. SageTV, in particular, is likely to cause you headaches if you ever need to reinstall the Windows Home Server software (in case of OS corruption for example) due to the amount of customization it allows/requires.
    Regarding multiple servers all accessible from the internet at once, you have several options, all unsupported and rather complex. You could configure a "reverse proxy server", which would take care of that for you. Or you could configure one of your servers to change the ports it uses from the standards. This is unsupported, but you'll find information on doing so in these forums. You might even be able to configure your router to forward different ports to your server's standard ports.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Out of all of Kens' suggestions for the final portion, the easiest method will be to configure your router to route separate ports to the different servers.  Whether that will do what you're wanting, is a different question.

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.
    Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 9:08 PM