Connector: Unable to Establish a Trust Relationship RRS feed

• Question

• 20 some years working in IT and I cannot solve this.

I cannot install the connector software on my PC's. One is Win7 Professional (new system) and the other is Win7 Ultimate (Upgraded from Vista Ultimate when Win7 was initially released).

When I go to: http://server/connect, I immediately get the website to download the software. When I click on the link, I immediately get the option to save or run. Everything is running snappy, which suggests that DNS is happy. The software gets to a certain point where I get:

"Cannot connect this computer to the network

This computer is unable to establish a trust relationship with the server. Verify that the computer's date and time are accurate and try again. "

I checked the time on the workstation and server - they are both correct with time and time zone.

These are some of the things I can tell you:

1. I ran Certification Authority to check what was going on with certificates. every time I try to install the connector and got that failure message, I get an entry in Revoked Certificates. Unfortunately, my many years of IT work didn't educate me all that well with certificates, so I am uncertain what that means or what I can do with that information.

2. I ran the Dashboard from the RDP session and took a look at Computers and Backup. Even though the connector install fails, I do in fact get to the point where the computer object is created. If I try a second time to install the connector, I get a warning that there is already a computer by that name so what I have been doing during my trials, is just deleting the computer object before every attempt to reinstall it.

3. I have gone into Server Settings and turned off Remote Web Access and even tried to reconfigure my domain name in hopes that a new certificate would fix it. Nope. I didn't change my domain though - instead, I released my current (which then makes it available to anyone at that point) and then I created a new one using the same name again. I never did try a different domain name - perhaps I should try that tonight.

4. I verified all systems and servers are up to date with all windows updates.

5. I also want to note that I do have the original WHS on the same network as my new 2011. I am doing this because it takes time to copy over 1.4T of data and I am doing it in phases. I wouldn't think that would be the issue though but *shrug*. I ended up turning off remote access on the older WHS box so that install of WHS 2011 would go smoothly. It did.

6. I verified that I can access my server remotely through my domain name and I am able to access files, remote the server, and stream audio/video without a problem. I see no slowness or oddities that would suggest incorrect setup in this aspect.

7. I verified router settings but I am using a Verizon FIOS router which have way too many settings in it so perhaps I could have missed something. A router is a router though.

8. I tried giving my router and workstations DNS suffixes but noticed that I couldn't do so on the WHS but that didn't fix it so I then removed all DNS suffixes from router and PC's - no help.

9. I tried going to http://[ipaddress]/connect instead of going to the host name, and that didn't change anything.

10. I looked at the workgroup name of the server and made sure I named my PC's workgroup name the same. No help.

11. I tried Renewing CA certificate. That finshed but resulted in no change.

12. I forgot to tell you that when I first installed WHS 2011, I immediately made the server a static IP through RDP and added that to that Host Name and IP to the DNS list in the router. That is really the only tweaking I did to the server. Well, not really, I also RDP'd into the 2011 box and in there went to explorer and browsed my 2003 WHS so that I could copy my data files from one server to the other. I copied the data into the share folders on the 2011 box. Other than that, stock system.

13. I verified all IP information via IPconfig. I have proper Host Names, IP's, no suffix atm, proper DNS (primary is Router and secondary is an internet DNS), proper gateway.. All looks fine.

14. I did as one link suggested and disabled IP6. That didn't work so it is active again.

15. I tried to do as one link suggested and changed security settings on ...Crypto/... (don't have full path handy atm) folders but that advice didn't pertain to Win7, only XP. I wasn't able to locate the folders they wished to change so I never did it.

I am at a loss here gang! I don't know what to do but my extreme excitement for 2011 has turned to hatred. I really don't want to feel this way because WHS 2011 is superior to the first release in so many ways.

Please aid me in my quest for answers.

Thank you.

Friday, August 5, 2011 2:47 PM

Answers

• I believe I may have found the answer to this.  If you've renewed the CA certificate on your WHS, the connector software will attempt to use the original certificate from the WHS, and not the new one.  I was able to resolve this by manually adding the CA certificate from my WHS server into the Trusted Root Certificate Store of my local computer account on the client that was reporting trust issues.  Here is the process I followed:

1. On the WHS, launch Certification Authority from the Administrative Tools menu
    2. Right-click on the <Server>-CA node and select Properties.
    3. In the Certificates tab of the Properties window, you should see at least two certificates, numbered sequentially.  Double-click the newest certificate.
    4. In the Certificate window, select the Details tab, and click the Copy to File button
    5. Step through the certificate export wizard, choosing any of the first three formats (I used the PKCS #7 format, and selected to include all certificates in the certification path).
    6. Save the file to a location that is accessible to the client you're trying to connect (or a USB drive).
    7. On the client machine giving trust issues, open the certificate management console for the local computer by performing the following:
    8. From a Run line, enter mmc.exe
    9. In the empty console, go to File -> Add/Remove Snap-in
    10. Double-click Certificates
    11. Select Computer Account and click Next
    12. Choose Local Computer, and click Finish
    13. Find the Trust Root Certificates node, and expand Certificates
    14. From the Action menu, Choose All Tasks -> Import
    15. Ensure that the Store Location is Local Machine, and click Next
    16. Browse to the file you exported earlier, click Next
    17. Finish the wizard, and ensure that the new certificate appears in the certificate store
    18. Re-run the Connector software.  It should now run successfully.

• Proposed as answer by Stuart Brennand Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Monday, September 5, 2016 9:31 AM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:53 PM

All replies

• I was getting ready to post the EXACT same problem. However, I have Pfsense for my router and no WHSv1 on my network. I have two machines (1 vista 32bit and 1 vista 64bit machine) that I connected a month ago still running backups fine, but a Vista Business 32bit machine, Windows 7 starter machine (netbook), and another 32bit Vista machine that won't connect and give me the "This computer is unable to establish a trust relationship with the server. Verify the computer's date and time are accurate and try again." garbage.

Certificates and the machine entry in the dashboard are the same for me, I've disabled ip6, removed net framework 4.0, time zone syncing for both my own and Redmond,  etc. This is day 2 for me..... Sigh...

I'll be watching this thread and I will let you know if I have any luck....

Friday, August 5, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Oh, your reply reminded me of a very important note I failed to mention:

16. I did have the Win7 Ultimate PC connected when I originally setup the server a week ago. The connector installed just fine on it. During last nights testings, I thought I would uninstall the connector on that PC, delete the computer from the Dashboard, and try from scratch again. My thought process was this: Is the problem only with this new PC (Win7 Pro) or is it all PC's that try to install the connector? I was trying to narrow down my tests. Well, when I tried to reinstall the connector on that box, it failed.

So with that said, yourgod78, I'd be curious that if you uninstalled the connectors on your working units and tried to reinstall them, would they fail like mine? It is a dangerous test though so I'd be completely understanding if you wanted to leave them well alone :)

Anyway, in my case, I have a brand new PC that fails and my older one that I uninstalled and reinstalled the connector on..

Do me a favor Yourgod78, RDP into your server and click on the start button. Look for your Certificate Authority application and double click on any one of your Revoked certificates. When the certificate opens, click on the details tab and make sure you Show <All>. Scroll down the list and see if you see two entries that appear unhappy (either an ! or a tringle or something - I am going by memory here so I appologize). I have two that appear in every failed cert but I am uncertain what they mean.

Maybe our answer lies in there. Post what you find and I will do the same tonight when I get home from work.

Friday, August 5, 2011 4:13 PM
  • I'm not ready to unistall the software on the two working machines, yet, but, if I decide on flattening the server I'll be sure to try that first so at least we know if it's similar in behavior. However, I'll bet I get the same result.

I just checked a few revoked certificates and found two entries with problems: Key Usage and Basic Constraints. Actually, all the revoked certs pertaining to adding machines have these two entries showing up with this problem.

Friday, August 5, 2011 4:35 PM
  • OK, then it sounds like to me then that you probably have the same two as I. Can you give the details on those two entries? I will be happy to research them throughout the day if I can figure out what they mean. I will do the same if they are not identical to yours.

Thanks!

Friday, August 5, 2011 4:46 PM
  • This is interesting:

(Taken From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700843.aspx )

Revocation Reasons

When a certificate is revoked, it is possible for a certificate issuer to specify why the action was taken. This is done by specifying a revocation reason; these reasons are defined by RFC 2459 and include:

• KeyCompromise. The token or disk location where the private key associated with the certificate has been compromised and is in the possession of an unauthorized individual. This can include the case where a laptop is stolen, or a smart card is lost.

• CACompromise. The token or disk location where the CA's private key is stored has been compromised and is in the possession of an unauthorized individual. When a CA's private key is revoked, this results in all certificates issued by the CA that are signed using the private key associated with the revoked certificate being considered revoked.

• AffiliationChanged. The user has terminated his or her relationship with the organization indicated in the Distinguished Name attribute of the certificate. This revocation code is typically used when an individual is terminated or has resigned from an organization. You do not have to revoke a certificate when a user changes departments, unless your security policy requires different certificate be issued by a departmental CA.

• Superseded. A replacement certificate has been issued to a user, and the reason does not fall under the previous reasons. This revocation reason is typically used when a smart card fails, the password for a token is forgotten by a user, or the user has changed their legal name.

• CessationOfOperation. If a CA is decommissioned, no longer to be used, the CA's certificate should be revoked with this reason code. Do not revoke the CA's certificate if the CA no longer issues new certificates, yet still publishes CRLs for the currently issued certificates.

• CertificateHold. A temporary revocation that indicates that a CA will not vouch for a certificate at a specific point in time. Once a certificate is revoked with a CertificateHold reason code, the certificate can then be revoked with another Reason Code, or unrevoked and returned to use.

Note: While CertificateHold allows a certificate to be "unrevoked", it is not recommended to place a hold on a certificate, as it becomes difficult to determine if a certificate was valid for a specific time.

• RemoveFromCRL. If a certificate is revoked with the CertificateHold reason code, it is possible to "unrevoke" a certificate. The unrevoking process still lists the certificate in the CRL, but with the reason code set to RemoveFromCRL.

Note: This is specific to the CertificateHold reason and is only used in DeltaCRLs.

• Unspecified. It is possible to revoke a certificate without providing a specific reason code. While it is possible to revoke a certificate with the Unspecified reason code, this is not recommended, as it does not provide an audit trail as to why a certificate is revoked.

Look at the last one. That is what I get for an explaination... I think Godaddy does the certs if my brain serves me right. Again, not at my home server atm.

Friday, August 5, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Again, that's me too. I'm given no explanation in the details. I'm going to keep searching, but I might just reinstall the server, Sunday.

Friday, August 5, 2011 5:43 PM
  • I was thinking of the same thing, but it took me over a week to copy my data to it. Do you know if a reinstall will wipe it out or or will it keep that data partition intact? Either way, you will probably have a result sooner than I so please let me know your results afterwards. I am curious if it was all the windows updates that took place on the server too.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Do you know if a reinstall will wipe it out or or will it keep that data partition intact?
    If your data is on the same HDD as your system partition then it will wipe it clean - you will need to restore data either from the original source or a server backup. If it's on a separate HDD it will still be there - you will just have to move shared folders around.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:09 PM
  • I'm not sure, but I always wipe all the drives with Gparted and start fresh. I'll likely be done the same day since I have all 3.5tb of data backed up to external drives and I'll be copying over esata. I'm still going to try everything between now and then... Naturally, I'll be more willing to try risky thing as I get closer to the point of starting over.

I still want WHS 2011, but this kind of stuff is why it was doa product for its intended market. It's a real mess.

Friday, August 5, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Bummer... Yeah, I have one 2Tb HD in there. It is a small form factor PC and I only have enough room to expand to one more drive in there so I figured I would have as large of a primary disk as possible to get me through and then later, expand one more time. That should get me through until the next version of WHS comes out (if it even does). So yeah, I am a bit bummed to hear that there is no repair or install on top of itself feature.

Maybe now is the time to think about getting a USB3 controller and an external USB3 drive to quickly move that data...

Friday, August 5, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Just checking but I assume you just had C: and D: (with data) drives - if so then the above is true.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:28 PM
  • I'd opt for an external enclosure with esata support and and adapter for your server.  Funny (kinda) I kept a Freenas machine around for backing up data during the Vail beta over last year, and I'm wondering if I should of just made that permanent.

Friday, August 5, 2011 7:18 PM
  • @ PhilipJH: Mine is one drive: partitioned C which is something like 80 gig and D, which is the remainder of the 2TB drive. So are you saying I will not lose my data or it is still inevitable?

Sorry I derailed the topic a bit. I just want to know what all my options are. I really want to use WHS2011... Ok, Back to our original program. :)

Friday, August 5, 2011 7:21 PM
  • @ PhilipJH: Mine is one drive: partitioned C which is something like 80 gig and D, which is the remainder of the 2TB drive. So are you saying I will not lose my data or it is still inevitable?

Under those circumstances, you will loose all your data.

Friday, August 5, 2011 9:38 PM
  • I started with the error while trying to launch Dashboard
    "The server appears to be offline Do you want to sign in to offline mode?"
    I followed the suggestion of uninstalling the Connector software, and uninstalling all .NET 4 framework things in Prorgrams/Features (control panel)
    I rebooted, ran windows update, and the .NET 4 was re-installed. (after a few checks)

I also followed the suggestion from here:

"Try this:

1. Remote Desktop to the home server.

2. Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Certification Authority.

3. Right click the SERVERNAME-CA. All Tasks - Renew CA Certificate."

It did say what do when asked about revoking so I said yes. (mistake? see below)  :(

Now it's worse!

I cannot re-install the connector software at ALL after having it uninstalled.

When I go to: http://server/connect, I immediately get the website to download the software. When I click on the link, I immediately get the option to save or run.   I run it, enter the Administrator password, and the I get:

This computer is unable to establish a trust relationship with the server. Verify that the computer's date and time are accurate and try again. "

I checked the time on the workstation and server - they are both correct with time and time zone.

I found this but it doesnt help and sounds like I'm totally screwed/hosed now

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/71708425-bdbb-44c7-a280-ec3f7b51ca03

Did I miss something?   When I messed with the Certificate stuff on WHS 2011, did I really F things up bad?    I guess I can re-install the whole server and laptop from scratch if I "need" to but I'd rather not of course!  :-(

Saturday, August 6, 2011 1:24 AM
  • I also followed the suggestion from here:

"Try this:

1. Remote Desktop to the home server.

2. Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Certification Authority.

3. Right click the SERVERNAME-CA. All Tasks - Renew CA Certificate."

It did say what do when asked about revoking so I said yes. (mistake? see below)  :(

Now it's worse!

OK, this may be the common link betwenn you and I. I wish I could remember why I did that, but I did Renew CA Certificate in attempt to fix something. It wasn't my current issue though but I tried to fix something. Man, my brain is failing me on what though.

Nevertheless, after I had my first system connector installed, I renewed the Cert. I was working fine all along with the system that already had the connector installed so I thoguht everything was OK. That was until I tried to install my second connector on another PC.

I would be curious if YourGod78 also renewed a Cert early on, because of a recommendation on another thread, and he is in the same boat as us?

This is what I have tried so far, none of which worked:

1. I release my existing domain and created a new one - new name.

2. I removed IE9 on the server.

3. I removed all the Windows Update patches I could on the server. 3 of them were not removeable though.

4. I turned off the firewall on the server and workstations to test.

I also made an observation that I want to pass along in case there are others that are more certificate proficient than I. On the server, I went into IIS Manager and clicked on Server Certificates. I noticed a whole list of certificates in there and thought to myself that they are probably the result of me removing/adding domains and/or renewing certificates. As I said earlier, I am not all that educated with certificates though so I am a bit hesitant to delete any. If anyone can shine a light on the list of Certs in IIS, please let me know what we can or can't do to them. In my list, I see 1 Nexus cert (Nexus is the name of my server) and I see 4 Nexus-CA certs. Is that the problem? I also see a cert for every domain I ever created in the Dashboard but those are external so I wouldn't think that would be the issue. I think my issue is something with Nexus and Nexus-CA, but then again, that is just a guess.

So at this point, I think the issue was caused by renewing the cert. Microsoft warned us to manage everything in the Dashboard so shame on me for thinking I could navigate this server like I do with normal Win2008 servers. Now, I will try to learn what can and can't be done with certificates. For me, wiping and reinstalling doesn't teach me anything so I would rather struggle with this in hope to learn. I am still officially running on my old WHS anyway - I want to slowly migrate to make sure 2011 was stable/ready.

Keep me posted gang! Thanks!

Saturday, August 6, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Don't you just know that's what I did:)  However, this was the result of another forum telling me it's what I needed, because I was having problems getting my web access reinstated with the web address I used during the beta. Long story short I had to create a new one and there was conflicts between the new and old address certs being issued (or so I was told, and the it did solve the problem at the time).  And, this was done right after adding the machines that currently backup without problem. We know the cause....

Anyway, we both did this as a result of some other part of Whs2011 failing to meet basic expectations of a home server product. It's really frustrating and I'd rather solve the problem, too. However, I have a 3 pcs that need backups and the last thing I need is one of these failing, and ending up with two machines on the table... Nevermind the Hyper-V Server I'm trying to get built on top of all this.... Double sigh with a facepalm.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:10 PM
  • Well I am glad we know what not to do in the future..

Moving forward, I think I trashed my server :P . I went into IIS and removed all the Nexus and Nexus-CA certs, hoping that renewing would recreate them. Nope. Now I cant even run the Dashboard in the server. It is a complete mess - lol. As a result, I just bought a USB3 controller and external 2TB HD. I installed it in the server and am copying my data over to it. I am getting about 40MB/S so it should only take about a day - hopefully.

Nonetheless I am going to have to reinstall and try again. I know what not to do now, that's for sure. I will keep you posted on my journey, if anything, to help out future victims :)

Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Agreed... Hope this can save somebody else the trouble. I'll try some crazy stuff before I flatten my server in hopes of finding a solution (doubtful as it may be), and report back if I have any luck.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:44 PM
  • I tried to get help from the home server show, but they are at a loss as well:
    http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2755-this-computer-is-unable-to-establish-a-trust-relationship-with-the-server/ 

Will it looks like I need to rebuild my server anyway. S.M.A.R.T is reporting potential problem with reallocated sectors. I know it's not officially bad, but out of all 9 of my hard drives the C: is the only one with errors :( I'm going to use both excuses to rebuild. The good news is I confirmed with Alex from Stable Bit that my Drive Pool shares will automatically be picked up again after the re-install of OS/Drive Pool. The only add-in I need to setup again will be My Movies. I don't mind letting the Loose rebuild happen automatically of the data base. (I didn't customize anything anyway)

As a double precaution I'm going to re-install my laptop too. I just got this new thinkpad w520 a few days ago so It's not that big of a deal. All my data is on my server anyway.  

Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:05 AM
  • OK, I did a fresh install and everything is working as a champ. I did the installation different this time than the first; the main difference being that I installed it as the idiot MS wants us to be. In other words, I didn't manually set the IP address on the server and did everything through the Dashboard.

Steps:

1. Installed Server

2. Created Users and Shares (on server itself)

3. Installed connector on 1 PC.

4. Setup all the tasks except backup on the home page of the Dashboard.

5. Restarted my PC to see if connector stuff launched OK and worked.

6. Checked for Windows Updates on server using Dashboard on PC. Installed all of them but I didn't install Optional this time. I don't think my server needs Silverlight.

7. Installed USB3 drivers on server so that I could connect my external HD.

8. Verified everything on server was "complete"

9. Installed connector on PC2... WORKED!! :)

10. Restoring data from external HD via drag and drop.

Mark my word, I will remain the idiot MS wants me to be and refrain from doing anything at the server level. So far so good for me. Hopefully you won't hear from me again using this product :)

Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:58 PM
  • I thought I'd being doing this today, but I've been fooling around with Hyper-V Server all day. I'm glad everything worked out well for you on the reinstall, and I'll likely be taking the idiot approach to WHS, too.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 12:08 AM
  • I believe I may have found the answer to this.  If you've renewed the CA certificate on your WHS, the connector software will attempt to use the original certificate from the WHS, and not the new one.  I was able to resolve this by manually adding the CA certificate from my WHS server into the Trusted Root Certificate Store of my local computer account on the client that was reporting trust issues.  Here is the process I followed:

1. On the WHS, launch Certification Authority from the Administrative Tools menu
    2. Right-click on the <Server>-CA node and select Properties.
    3. In the Certificates tab of the Properties window, you should see at least two certificates, numbered sequentially.  Double-click the newest certificate.
    4. In the Certificate window, select the Details tab, and click the Copy to File button
    5. Step through the certificate export wizard, choosing any of the first three formats (I used the PKCS #7 format, and selected to include all certificates in the certification path).
    6. Save the file to a location that is accessible to the client you're trying to connect (or a USB drive).
    7. On the client machine giving trust issues, open the certificate management console for the local computer by performing the following:
    8. From a Run line, enter mmc.exe
    9. In the empty console, go to File -> Add/Remove Snap-in
    10. Double-click Certificates
    11. Select Computer Account and click Next
    12. Choose Local Computer, and click Finish
    13. Find the Trust Root Certificates node, and expand Certificates
    14. From the Action menu, Choose All Tasks -> Import
    15. Ensure that the Store Location is Local Machine, and click Next
    16. Browse to the file you exported earlier, click Next
    17. Finish the wizard, and ensure that the new certificate appears in the certificate store
    18. Re-run the Connector software.  It should now run successfully.

• Proposed as answer by Stuart Brennand Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Monday, September 5, 2016 9:31 AM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:53 PM
  • I've also been using computers since the days of IBM/MS DOS.

I'm an amateur, which is probably the reason that I found a quick workaround.

I had this problem yesterday because all my machines are XP with SP3 and this happens there all the time. I searched the net and found so many complicated explanations for this problem, but they all had one thing in common! The causer is thje certificates ion the machinekey directory.

I 've connected three of my machines today each at the first attempt. I installed a new user and the connected the new user to the server.

This writes new certificates in the machinekey directory. I then just start again with the original user and The directory is available for all users and the connection which didn't work comes then automatically.

I'm fairly sure that it will work with allwindows versions.

I hope this helps

Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:35 PM
  • I've also been using computers since the days of IBM/MS DOS.

I'm an amateur, which is probably the reason that I found a quick workaround.

I had this problem yesterday because all my machines are XP with SP3 and this happens there all the time. I searched the net and found so many complicated explanations for this problem, but they all had one thing in common! The causer is thje certificates ion the machinekey directory.

I 've connected three of my machines today each at the first attempt. I installed a new user and the connected the new user to the server.

This writes new certificates in the machinekey directory. I then just start again with the original user and The directory is available for all users and the connection which didn't work comes then automatically.

I'm fairly sure that it will work with allwindows versions.

I hope this helps

Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:41 PM
  • Thank you. Your fix worked for me.
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:28 PM
  • My Windows 7 laptop was getting a bit flaky so I decided to reinstall Windows after getting a new SSD, and the WHS2011 Connector wouldn't install on it.

I've spent about 4 - 5 hours searching and trying all different suggestions for:

"This computer is unable to establish a trust relationship with the server. Verify that the computer's date and time are accurate and try again."

I was on the verge of giving up and reinstalling WHS2011 from scratch when I came to this thread.  And your solution worked!

I've taken a copy just in case I need it in future.

Many thanks

Graham

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:36 PM
  • Spoke too soon...

The Dashboard and Launchpad have now installed on my laptop but my laptop still shows as offline in the Dashboard.  When I try to run a backup it fails with "The server cannot authenticate the computer."

May be time to reinstall from scratch after all...

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Thank you SO MUCH! I know this is an old thread and I just installed Windows 8 Pro to two computers and neither could connect to my Windows Home Server 2011. I followed your instructions and it worked like a charm. Again, thank you so much! This is been bothering me for three days.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:38 AM
  • The new Windows Home Server 2011 Update Rollup 3 might address these issues.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2012/08/15/windows-home-server-2011-update-rollup-3/

Feature that is included in this update

You can now configure the Launchpad to start in the minimized state by selecting the “Always minimize the Launchpad at start” check box.

Major issues that are resolved by this update

Issue 1

When you try to connect a Windows 8-based client computer to Windows Home Server 2011, you receive an “Unexpected Error” message.

Issue 2

On a computer that is running Windows 8 and that has Internet Explorer 10 installed, thumbnails for Remote Web Access (RWA) media files and folders are not displayed correctly. Specifically, the thumbnails are displayed as black squares.

Issue 3

Assume that you connect a Windows 8-based client computer to a Windows Home Server 2011-based server, and then set the client backup property to “Automatically wake this computer up from sleep or hibernation to run a scheduled backup.” In this situation, the backup is not successful if the client computer is asleep or in hibernation.

Issue 4

You receive “Computer Monitoring Errors” alerts every 30 minutes. The following “Computer Monitoring Errors” alerts are fixed in this update rollup:

• Alerts that are triggered by client synchronization time-out
    • Alerts that are triggered by stale computer records that belong to client computers that were removed
    • Alerts that occur when the router manufacturer information is not retrieved
    • Alerts that occur when an RWA Domain socket connection is aborted

In addition, the description of alerts will include the name of the failed component, to improve troubleshooting.

Issue 5

You receive the following incorrect warning alert when UPnP is not available on the router:

The router is not configured correctly for Anywhere Access. You must configure the router to remotely access the network

Issue 6

Watson crashes because of an error in Wssbackup.exe. When this issue occurs, client backup may not work correctly, and you may receive alerts or error messages.

Issue 7

Performance improvements are made to Client File and Folder Restore.

Issue 8

When you try to download multiple files from RWA on a single request, the operation fails.

Issue 9

Some health alerts do not work in Windows 8. For example, the “The Network Firewall is turned off” and “Virus protection is turned off, not installed, or not up-to-date” alerts do not work.

Known issues

Issue 1

If you have installed Update Rollup 3 Beta, you must uninstall it (for more information about how to do this, go to the “How to uninstall Update Rollup 3 Beta” section).

Issue 2

Client computers may restart after you apply Update Rollup 3. Before this restart happens, some functionality may not work.

• Edited by JazJon Friday, August 17, 2012 2:57 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:57 AM
  • Thank you!!!!

I have been searching and googling for almost a week to resolve this.

You are the MAN!!!

Friday, October 19, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Thanks, I tried this, copying the certificate from WHS2011 to my Sony Vaio after getting the

issue when connecting. I caused the problem by changing my group name. I was a day trying to sort it, and was ready to re-install the server, when I read this. I am most grateful for your hard work. Cheers

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:58 PM
  • This worked! Excellent, detailed explanation. Thank you very much, Stuart. 
    Sunday, September 4, 2016 11:11 AM
  • This worked! Excellent, detailed explanation. Thank you very much, Stuart. 
    I assume you refer to Christopher. ;)
    Monday, September 5, 2016 9:32 AM