CRM 4.0 - Workflow only runs when record is created or when started manually RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workflow that is suppose to update two fields on the form of a custom entity when it is a) run manually, b) triggered by the record creation, or c) triggered by the record attribute change of a particular lookup field. It works fine when the record is created or when it is run manually, but for some reason it will not run when the lookup field on the form is changed. At first I thought it was having problems recognizing that the lookup field had been updated, so I tried getting it to check two other fields in order to run, one a picklist and the other a standard text entry field. No matter which of these it checks for it doesn't run (i.e. it isn't ever triggered). Strangely though, I have another workflow running against this entity that checks for a picklist of stages to change, and send an email, and it works just fine. It has me completely stumped. Anyone have any suggestions?

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:11 PM

Answers

• I've seen similar issues and I think they were caused by some sort of corruption in the workflow definition. The only way I found to resolve the issue was to create a new workflow rule and test that the trigger conditions were working properly. Then add all my business logic from the old workflow definition to the new one. A pain, but it worked.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by PCS-McGhee Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:32 PM

All replies

• I've seen similar issues and I think they were caused by some sort of corruption in the workflow definition. The only way I found to resolve the issue was to create a new workflow rule and test that the trigger conditions were working properly. Then add all my business logic from the old workflow definition to the new one. A pain, but it worked.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by PCS-McGhee Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Thanks Neil. That seems to have fixed it.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:55 PM