Generated pdf not showing all characters? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am generating a pdf from a dll and showing in a new window. The pdf gets generated from normal string formats. On the site the pdf shows all chars but on the pdf the chars that are weird like an a with a stripe on top etc is not recognized. How would I either clean the string or let the characters show? These are the characters:

ü å à etc etc.

Is there like a font I can use in the System.Drawing.Font()?

I have no clue even where to start on this.

Jurie

• Moved by Rudedog2 Wednesday, May 19, 2010 12:27 PM : Issue is Off-Topic (From:Visual C# General)
    Monday, May 17, 2010 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi

I am generating a pdf from a dll??? and showing in a new window??? . The pdf gets generated from normal string formats. On the site??? the pdf shows all chars but on the pdf??? the chars that are weird like an a with a stripe on top etc is not recognized. How would I either clean the string or let the characters show? These are the characters:

ü å à etc etc.

Is there like a font I can use in the System.Drawing.Font()?

I have no clue even where to start on this.

Jurie

What are you talking about?  Not enough info for someone to understand your issue.

What dll?  What window?  What site?  "on the pdf" means what?

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Monday, May 17, 2010 4:56 PM
  • If you are generating a pdf from a data stream then you should be sure that the Encoding is correctly set. For non standard ASCII characters you have to use something like Unicode (Encoding.UTF32, Encoding.UTF16 etc.). If your pdf generator does not recognize these characters you have no way to win. For example Acrobat reader needs the download of "language support for..." (your favorite language here), or you see a lot of garbage on the screen.

I hope to have at least decoded your question... :-)

Giuseppe

• Marked as answer by Juran Human Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Juran Human Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:52 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I am using a dll called Gios. I have never really worked with such characters but the client I did the work for has some of these characters in their database. Now this is a sharepoint site where the data is taken from the list(database) and a pdf is generated in a datatable which is the imported into the pdf.

The characters display perfectly on the site, but as soon as you open the pdf for printing....some of the characters are missing.

I have seen that in the font() method there is something you can maybe use but I do not know if it will work called the byte gdiCharset?

Would I be able to use this? Or do I simply tell the client that I cannot support that characters?

Jurie

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:58 AM
  • If the page displays perfecly on the Sharepoint portal, the problem is not in the pdf but in the visualizer.

How do you open the pdf? Using Adobe or other apps? If you are using Adobe, try to download the additional language fonts for Adobe.

Giuseppe

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:48 AM
  • I am using adobe to open up the pdf in the browser in a new window (window.open(filepath)) but the pdf obviously gets saved to the server beforehand.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:16 AM
  • Oh and the text is displayed in a list in sharepoint....then converted to pdf and then not showing in the pdf
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Try opening in your Adobe another pdf with same non english characters. If it displays correctly it's the dll fault and you don't have much chance to win. If it displays incorrectly, update your adobe with the multilanguage support pack.

Giuseppe

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:25 AM

• Hi,

Yes, I am using a dll called Gios. I have never really worked with such characters but the client I did the work for has some of these characters in their database. Now this is a sharepoint site where the data is taken from the list(database) and a pdf is generated in a datatable which is the imported into the pdf.

The characters display perfectly on the site, but as soon as you open the pdf for printing....some of the characters are missing.

I have seen that in the font() method there is something you can maybe use but I do not know if it will work called the byte gdiCharset?

Would I be able to use this? Or do I simply tell the client that I cannot support that characters?

Jurie

Your questions are way off-topic on this forum, C# General, which deals with general programming issues.  Your 3rd party DLL is not covered here, and there are other non-Microsoft sites for programming PDF files, which are also a 3rd party product not directly supported by Microsoft.

SharePoint is a Microsoft product and is supported by a forum on this web site.  It would appear that your main issue resides with API for your "Gios" DLL, and the possibility that it contains bugs or inaccurate documentation.

Rudy  =8^D

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Dude....all I wanted to know was...that if if its the dll or is it the reader etc....!!!!!!!!!

So bug off!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you get enough or what????

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:59 AM