Blank Screen After Tune-up RRS feed

• Question

• I have been having problems with my wireless internet so I have not done a tune-up in a few weeks (5 weeks) so the other night 1-27-08 I left my computer on and turned on the tune-up and let it go at it.  I went and eat supper and when I came back the computer was blank.  So I ctrl-alt-del and restarted and I logged in (i am the administrator) and it did its little dance and then instead of Icons I get a black screen.  I can do the ctrl-alt-del and the screen for log off task manager etc comes up so I do task manager and try to pull up one care and it acts like it is going to come up but nothing.  Then i log off and log on as my husband reg user and I have icons etc.  I then log on as me again and nothing i try to pull one of my back-up files off the usb card i have and it tells me that I don't have one care installed on that computer well i just seen it....  I can still see all my files and programs just no icons etc.  I am not sure what to do with out formatting the whole computer.  I did a restore back to the 24th and it is still like that so I am not sure.  I also tried to access some things files and it told me I didn't have permission. 

HELP PLEASE!  I hate to format and lose a year almost of windows updates.....This is Windows Vista and this is the first problem I have ever had and I was just saying the other day how great both onecare and vista was....

Thanks,

Jen

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:25 PM

Answers

• I suspect that you have a blank desktop because your user profile is corrupt. I assume that your ctrl-alt-del action was to force a reboot of windows and upon restart, your desktop was blank.

You may want to contact OneCare support for help, since the problem originated with Tune-up running and your PC apparently appearing to be locked up.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

This link - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - explains how to preform a repair install of XP, but since your husband's profile is working fine, I think you may want to try System Restore first, and perhaps create a new user account for yourself and move your data files to this new account.

-steve

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Just wanted to let you know that I tried a couple of other programs after I really got into this Saturday and some would not even start up under other profiles.  One Care was loaded but was not working properly for some reason.  I reloaded back to the orginal and loaded one care back on there.  Then I did all the windows updates and it seems to be fine.  I am going to back this up to a disk now and pray this doesn't happen again.  I am also going to uncheck that little box for remove unwanted files at tune-up.  I don't know what happened but I appreciate your help!  I do know that One care did a update in that time frame because I had to do my moms computer which is on my account and it did one.  Also my PC shows twice under that one care circle now.  Not sure if I am going to like this one care or not.  I have had to actually uninstall it and reinstall it 3 times because they update it and it doesn't run correctly and that is the last option in their help section nice and user friendly of Mircosoft!

Thanks for your help!

Jen 

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:36 PM

All replies

• I suspect that you have a blank desktop because your user profile is corrupt. I assume that your ctrl-alt-del action was to force a reboot of windows and upon restart, your desktop was blank.

You may want to contact OneCare support for help, since the problem originated with Tune-up running and your PC apparently appearing to be locked up.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

This link - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - explains how to preform a repair install of XP, but since your husband's profile is working fine, I think you may want to try System Restore first, and perhaps create a new user account for yourself and move your data files to this new account.

-steve

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:10 PM
  • I did system restore and nothing same mess and I am Vista not XP....

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Do you have a Vista DVD that you can boot from to do a repair? Vista offers that option if you boot from the DVD.

-steve

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:25 AM
  • Sorry it is taking so long to reply but i am doing this from work kind of hard to do.  I bought this computer from Compusa in June 07 and is was a bundle so no I don't have a disk.  I have managed to chg my husbands acct to admin.  now I am pulling all my personal files off to a external hard drive and I think I am going to wipe it. 

It says the One Care is not working and not installed but it is there on both accounts.  I am not sure what happened.  I have went back in restore to 12-27-07 and still nothing.  I feel like by the time I go through the time and heartache of trying this and that I can just wipe it.  Thought maybe someone had it before and knew a quick fix but guess not.  One care help seems to be something you get help thru the internet thru the program which is a crock when the program is saying it is not installed!  HA  I give up.....  That is what I get for saying two days before that "i like vista"..  Smile 

Thanks for your help  will let you know if the format works if not I may kill the computer!  Warranty maybe????  la la la la   Jen

Friday, February 1, 2008 1:35 PM
  • I don't think you need to format the PC.

See this KB article as a starting point to create a new User profile. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318011

The article includes links to other articles for how to move your data from the old profile to the new profile.

Note that the article is written for XP, but the process will be similar for Vista.

Once you have done this, assuming that it works, if OneCare still complains that it isn't working or can't start, either uninstall and reinstall it or come back here for more help (or contact OneCare support)

-steve

Friday, February 1, 2008 4:51 PM
  • I will try and see.

jen

Friday, February 1, 2008 4:58 PM
  • Good luck, Jen. If you want to contact OneCare support, and the form isn't working for you, send me an email - sboots@mvps.org with OneCare in the subject line and a link to this thread in the message body and I'll try to hook you up with support.

-steve

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Thanks I will let you know how it goes.  I just did get my wireless internet from Alltel back after 2 weeks and now this!  The fun never stops!

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Just wanted to let you know that I tried a couple of other programs after I really got into this Saturday and some would not even start up under other profiles.  One Care was loaded but was not working properly for some reason.  I reloaded back to the orginal and loaded one care back on there.  Then I did all the windows updates and it seems to be fine.  I am going to back this up to a disk now and pray this doesn't happen again.  I am also going to uncheck that little box for remove unwanted files at tune-up.  I don't know what happened but I appreciate your help!  I do know that One care did a update in that time frame because I had to do my moms computer which is on my account and it did one.  Also my PC shows twice under that one care circle now.  Not sure if I am going to like this one care or not.  I have had to actually uninstall it and reinstall it 3 times because they update it and it doesn't run correctly and that is the last option in their help section nice and user friendly of Mircosoft!

Thanks for your help!

Jen 

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:36 PM
  • Thanks for the update, Jen.

Yes, there was an update to OneCare to version 2.0.2500.22 to address many of the 2.0 issues.

In the OneCare circle on any machine that is a hub, go to Manage OneCare Circle and expand the details for both entries for your computer. The last contact date will be shown. The older entry will be from when you reinstalled OneCare on that PC, so you can safely remove that entry. If you accidentally remove the current one, OneCare will become unsubscribed on your PC and will require another reinstall (!) so make sure to only remove the old one.

Personally, I uncheck the cleanup files option and do that manually myself.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:48 PM