Media Library : Slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

my media library via the web interface is extremely slow. When I connect with a web browser - login - it takes 4-8 seconds with just "Please wait..." before the media library shows.

Then I click on either Browse Pictures, Music or Videos and it's painfully slow before next page is opened up. With "painfully slow" I'm taking about 4-6 seconds before next screen opens up. This may not sound like a lot, but if you want to navigate quickly through it's a pain.

No other issues for the rest, streaming, etc works great with decent speed. This is within the internal network and network speeds are not an issue.

Is this a hardware issue? Anything I can do to speed the web interface up ?

Hardware:

Intel Atom 330 w/ 2GB RAM

1GB Ethernet (getting about 30-40MBs actual speed)

Library (is it too large?):

Pictures: 13282 pictures

Music: 11924 songs

Videos: 376 videos

Many thanks for any help !

Monday, June 20, 2011 7:03 AM

All replies

• You're lucky that it's just "slow". Half the time, the Media Library just gives me errors - and it can take up to 30 seconds before it will announce the error.

Then there are the design shortcomings in searching the Media Library via the Remote Web Access - it doesn't support metadata searches.

In its present state, I find it pretty useless.

Monday, June 20, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Such a pity ... It's a killer feature if it would work/fast and without errors.

Monday, June 20, 2011 4:08 PM
  • I have much more powerful hardware than yours but it still takes 5 to 10 seconds, but that's when connected via the Internet
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 7:44 PM
  • I'm glad to hear others are having problems as well.  I've been searching for a solution to this for the past week and even through some beefier hardware at the problem without a lot of luck.  But I hadn't seen any other posts on the issue so I thought it was just me.

I'm seeing the same behavior - the Media Library is painfully slow.  The intial load is slow, loading thumbnails is slow, and launching the Silverlight media player is slow (although once it is launched it seems to be okay).

Monday, June 20, 2011 7:52 PM
  • I'm seeing the same behavior - the Media Library is painfully slow.  The intial load is slow, loading thumbnails is slow, and launching the Silverlight media player is slow (although once it is launched it seems to be okay).
    The Silverlight player is inconsistent in browsers other than Internet Explorer. In Chrome, sometimes it will halt after every song in a playlist (or album), requiring me to kick it to get it to play the next track.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 20, 2011 8:32 PM
  • There are three main issues I think:

• Speed of server. An intel Atom is really pushing it. WHS 2011 does a lot more than WHS v1. I have an Intel i7 860 with 8MB Ram, because I wanted the video streaming via the website. Memory use is usually around 50%.
    • Speed of pipe. You may only have around 500Kbit/sec outbound which is typical for ADSL. This is really limiting. Remember at home you are using 3-10 Mb/sec incoming. Obviously only applies whe using remotely. I went from ADSL (600 KBits/sec out) to Virgin at 1.5MBit out and remote access got a lot better. It has recently gone up again to 5Mbit/sec out and has got better again. 
    • Which browser is being used and speed of client.

I can run pretty fast  - mine does.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:13 PM
    • Hmmm, i have a decent processor on mine....AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad Core Processor....certainly not an i7, but it should be sufficient.  4GB of RAM, but my memory usage is also 50% or less.
    • I have the slowness problem on my 100Mb/s internal network, so my Internet connection speed isn't the issue (even coming over the Internet, I have 20Mb/s up and down from FIOS).
    • I've used IE8 and IE9 on fast clients with the same slow behavior.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:27 PM
  • I can run pretty fast  - mine does.

How large is your Media Library ?

I'm going to temporary install WHS2011 and test my Media Library on an i7 2600K, 16GB RAM.

I'm just scared that after a certain number of items or size it gets slow regardless of what hardware. I don't want to waste money on a hardware upgrade for the home server to find out it wont help.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:08 PM
  • On how big mine is! Well Pics (8500), Music (7400) and Video (4000), so pretty big.

The web site can be a bit slow the 1st time you use it in a while, but then gets a lot faster once it has presumably cached a lot of the thumbnails etc.

Also in a vanilla install IIS does time out after a while of inactivity so can take a while to get going on 1st use. I have no idea how Microsoft have set up WHS is this regard.

Overall I find it pretty good now - could it be faster, yes of course, as indeed most web sites doing this sort of thing could.

Justin
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:51 PM
  • How large is your Media Library ?

Currently 45,188 pictures, 12,538 songs and 118 videos (I'm not a video person). I get slowness and errors, not to mention the fact that WHS 2011 wants to overwrite my music metadata. I'm not impressed.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:39 PM
  • I can run pretty fast  - mine does.

How large is your Media Library ?

I'm going to temporary install WHS2011 and test my Media Library on an i7 2600K, 16GB RAM.

I'm just scared that after a certain number of items or size it gets slow regardless of what hardware. I don't want to waste money on a hardware upgrade for the home server to find out it wont help.

FYI Jonas, WHS 2011 will only use half your RAM, 8GB.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Tested my Media Library on an i7 2600K, 16GB RAM (thanks indeed - 8GB used only).

I could navigate the Media Library using the web interface with a decent/good speed. It's not yet 100% stable or perfect but at least I'm not waiting 5-10 seconds for every screen. So it seems like I have to get rid of my old Atom server...

Friday, June 24, 2011 12:38 PM