none
Why can't I simply ask a question in a forum? RRS feed

• Question

• http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/nb-NO/regexp/threads

On multiple occasions when I've tried posting a new question, I've been left staring at the screen trying to figure out how to simply post a question? I came here and right off the bat saw the 'Ask A Question' button. But at the URL, I simply didn't see it and can't figure out how to ask a question. This shouldn't be rocket science!

David H

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:56 AM

All replies

• So I just figured out that the thread is locked, but...

1) Why isn't there an alert on the page that says that the forum is 'Locked' and that new posts are not allowed?

2) When I googled around for an open form I found this text in the results 'This forum has been locked and set to read only mode. Regular Expressions.
    Discuss and ask questions concerning the usage of..." Why doesn't that appear at the top of the forum in plain sight?

3) If the forum has been replaced, why isn't there a link to a alternate forums wherein I can ask my question?

David H

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:00 AM
  • Agreed it doesn't really stand out but it is there. This Forum Has Been Retired The dropdown now links to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxbcl/threads

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:37 AM
  • Agreed it doesn't really stand out but it is there. This Forum Has Been Retired The dropdown now links to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxbcl/threads

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Well, now that you point it out, it is rather obvious. However, I'm not really too concerned with the 'Announcements' and just ignored them. I'm assuming that the forums are ASP.NET and thus have to ask the question why can't there be something like this added to one of the events. Where Label Advisory is a label with its visible property set to =False in the markup and its text set to "This forum has been retired and is now locked. New posts are not allowed." With of course the font color being red.

if e.item.dataitem("status") = "locked" then

Dim LabelAdvisory as Label = CType(e.item.findcontrol("LabelAdvisory"),Label)

LabelAdvisory.visible = true

end if

David H

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:58 AM

On multiple occasions when I've tried posting a new question, I've been left staring at the screen trying to figure out how to simply post a question? I came here and right off the bat saw the 'Ask A Question' button. But at the URL, I simply didn't see it and can't figure out how to ask a question. This shouldn't be rocket science!

David H

You could ask Regular Expressions questions in a forum relevant to the language you program with.

For example if you want to know how to use Regular Expressions with visual basic, you could ask in the Visual Studio Languages>Visual Basic forum, and answers will provide examples in that forum's language.

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles
    *This post does not reflect the opinion of Microsoft, or its employees.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:26 AM

David H

U can just ask this question here: .NET Framework Class Libraries

If asp.net, plz ask here:

www.asp.net

帮助一起改进论坛质量?提交你的意见于此。
    我的博客园
    慈善点击,点击此处
    和谐拯救危机,全集下载,净化人心

Monday, January 21, 2013 1:17 AM
  • The problem with retired forums is that if you land on an interesting thread using Google Search, there is no way to vote or ask additional question. I'd rather see threads from old forums moved to right forums.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:41 PM
  • The problem with retired forums is that if you land on an interesting thread using Google Search, there is no way to vote or ask additional question. I'd rather see threads from old forums moved to right forums.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Yes, and not even a moderator can move threads from a locked forum =(

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles
    *This post does not reflect the opinion of Microsoft, or its employees.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:42 PM