ReadyNAS NV+ dog slow under Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have had a ReadyNAS NV+ for a few years now, it runs swimmingly with Windows XP and any other Windows operating system I have thrown at it but with Vista the performance is apalling.  Something to the tune of 4 or 5 minutes to browse a directory and good luck if you actually want to read or transfer files.  I have gone to the ReadyNAS forum to try and find a solution and a number of people are reporting the problem but no one has come up with a solution.  Could one of you please help point me in the direction of a possible solution? 

PC's impacted

Toshiba A100 (wired or wireless) ran fine under XP lead sled under Vista SP1 for ReadyNAS fine for all else
    Dell XPS 6GB RAM Vista SP1 same issues as Toshiba

Thanks,

Buddy
    • Moved by David DoBell Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:49 PM Post is not realted to Microsoft Interoperability
    • Moved by David DoBell Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:49 PM Post is not realted to Microsoft Interoperability
    Friday, June 27, 2008 12:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Good morning! Thanks for your inquiry. One of our Protocol Support team will be in touch with you soon concerning this. I expect it may be necessary to obtain a network trace (Wireshark or Network Monitor 3 (link below).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=18b1d59d-f4d8-4213-8d17-2f6dde7d7aac&displaylang=en

Regards,
    Bill Wesse, MCSE / Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Escalation Engineer
    • Marked as answer by David DoBell Monday, June 30, 2008 7:41 PM
    Friday, June 27, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Good Morning. Unfortunately this forum is not the appropriate place for your question as the forum is specifically for interoperability issues.

I have been researching the question and it looks to be more of an issue with a specific hardware device and the Vista Operating System. I have most likely found the same forum discussions that you mentioned and it does appear that a number of people are seeing the same problem. I have also been researching to find the best forum/newsgroup where you can repost your question. I have not yet determined this but I should have an answer for you as to where to repost by this afternoon.

Thanks
    John Dunning
    Escalation Engineer Microsoft Corporation
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 3:28 PM
  • Good afternoon. Based on the content of your query I think the below two links are the most appropriate.

Windows Vista Hardware
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=714&SiteID=17

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP1)
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1992&SiteID=17

Thanks
    John Dunning
    Escalation Engineer Microsoft Corporation
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:31 PM
  • I too am having the same issues.

However the links you posted do not go anywhere....! After searching forums I cannot find more information!?
    Friday, July 11, 2008 3:27 PM
  • I'm also having the same issue, network all fine using XP or Linux, as soon as I use my VISTA laptop whether through the wireless interface or the cable the network response from the ReadyNas NV+ is just terrible.  Half the time I end up having to re-boot the laptop.  Hating vista very much at the moment.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:55 PM
  • I'm having also the same issue it just fails under VISTA under XP and other OS systems it works just fine.

please informe my when there is a solotion.

tnks,

Michel

Monday, July 6, 2009 7:53 PM
  • There is an issue with Vista that sometimes gives it hiccups with DNS entries that relate to Samba. You can fix this bug by connecting via the IP Address instead of the DNS entry of your Netgear NAS. For example, my experience was that it would take overnight to copy files over with the DNS entry, but when I mapped to the IP Address it took 5 minutes. That should get you on your way.

--Monty
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:01 PM
  • That worked perfectly for me.  Thanks Monty
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:46 PM