Moving data between shares RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was trying to move many gigabits worth of music and videos between shares yesterday and it was taking forever! It seems really slow compared with shifting data between, say, my computer and an external hard drive. Is this normal?

Someone told me that I should remote desktop onto the server and move the data there instead, which they said would happen in an instant. Is this safe or recommended to do?

Thanks
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:09 PM

Answers

• It takes a long time from a client computer because Windows is effectively moving the data twice, from the server to the client computer and then back to the server (albeit a different share).

It's unfortunately not considered safe or recommended to log in to the server with remote desktop and do the same thing directly in D:\Shares, though it is a great deal faster. By doing so, you will be interfering with the drive extender functionality, and may possibly experience issues as a result. However, you can log on to the server and use the shortcut to the shares on the desktop there. It won't be as fast as folder to folder moves, but it will be faster than transferring all that data over your network twice.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by crispyduck Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:26 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:30 PM

All replies

• If those shares are on the same drive, then that sounds about right. Going from one drive to another is usually much faster than from one folder to another on the same drive.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:17 PM
  • It takes a long time from a client computer because Windows is effectively moving the data twice, from the server to the client computer and then back to the server (albeit a different share).

It's unfortunately not considered safe or recommended to log in to the server with remote desktop and do the same thing directly in D:\Shares, though it is a great deal faster. By doing so, you will be interfering with the drive extender functionality, and may possibly experience issues as a result. However, you can log on to the server and use the shortcut to the shares on the desktop there. It won't be as fast as folder to folder moves, but it will be faster than transferring all that data over your network twice.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by crispyduck Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:26 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Thanks, Ken, I've done just that and all is fine and MUCH quicker.

Thanks a million :-)
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:25 PM