WHS and Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed te Windows 7 beta and tried to install the WHS connector software. It was unable to find the server, I'm guessing that if I put the IP address in the host file, it would work, but I can't find the host file in Windows 7. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:24 PM

Answers

• I logged in as a a regular administrator (my account) and went to the hosts file and tried to edit it. I could open it but could not save in it's proper location. I went to the notepad application, did a right click to runas administrator. I then went to the correct location and added the ip address for my server to the hosts file. I was then able to save the file without problem. I ran the install for the WHS connector software. The connecter software was unable to find the server, by itself, but when I told it to find it manually, it was able to find it and install the connector easily. The interesting thing is that WHS identifies the OS of the Windows 7 as Vista.
    • Marked as answer by TP 2 Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:16 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:16 PM

All replies

• I have had 3 "bootleg" copies and now 2 "legal" copies running with no problems. Make sure you have all fixes on WHS and the most recent copy of the connecter software.
    I dual boot an Acer netbook, XP or Win 7, and both sides are registered in WHS and backup as separate machines.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:35 PM
  • dmillergv said:

I dual boot an Acer netbook, XP or Win 7, and both sides are registered in WHS and backup as separate machines.

The recommended way to deal with a multi-boot computer is to install the connector on only one OS configuration, the one you will use the most. All partitions will be backed up just fine, including alternate boot partitions.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Ken,
    Thanks for the info. When 7 goes to RTM, and I buy a copy, I will follow your recommendation.
    I am just playing now. I also control when backups are done. My server is set to shutdown at 10PM.
    I am using a batch program, I think created by you, on each client, that does the backup and then shuts down the machine.
    D i c k Miller
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Yes, probably created by me. I'm glad it's working for you... :)
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:06 PM
  • TP 2 said:

I have installed te Windows 7 beta and tried to install the WHS connector software. It was unable to find the server, I'm guessing that if I put the IP address in the host file, it would work, but I can't find the host file in Windows 7. Does anyone have any ideas?

Can you post an ipconfig /all from both your client and your server?
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:10 PM
  • For the OP: your hosts file is in exactly the same place in Windows 7 as in all previous versions of Windows:

%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:43 PM
  • TP 2 said:

I have installed te Windows 7 beta and tried to install the WHS connector software. It was unable to find the server, I'm guessing that if I put the IP address in the host file, it would work, but I can't find the host file in Windows 7. Does anyone have any ideas?

I can confirm that the connector works on both x64 Windows 7 and x86 Windows 7 ;)

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/
    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:49 PM
  • I logged in as a a regular administrator (my account) and went to the hosts file and tried to edit it. I could open it but could not save in it's proper location. I went to the notepad application, did a right click to runas administrator. I then went to the correct location and added the ip address for my server to the hosts file. I was then able to save the file without problem. I ran the install for the WHS connector software. The connecter software was unable to find the server, by itself, but when I told it to find it manually, it was able to find it and install the connector easily. The interesting thing is that WHS identifies the OS of the Windows 7 as Vista.
    • Marked as answer by TP 2 Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:16 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:16 PM
  • I've had the same problems connecting my Windows 7 tablet to my home server, except that I still haven't gotten it to work.  I tried adding the IP address/name to both the hosts file and the lmhosts file, but the connector still won't find the server.  "That's fine", I thought, "I'll just pop in the restore CD and go back to the image of my vista machine that I made right before installing Windows 7"... The Restore CD can't even find my home server - what's the deal?

I ran the connection toolkit, and it complained about the following stuff:

The Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooter tests are now complete.
    Potential issues are displayed below. It is important to follow the recommendations to resolve potential Windows Home Server issues.

The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server

Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site

Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (ASPX page)

Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (password hint page)

Cannot connect to the server internal Web site over IP address (password hint page)

Cannot connect to the server internal Web site over IP address (ASPX page)

I'm running WSS 3.0 on the server, and I've got a WSS Site Collection being run on port 80.  I've changed the WHS Default Site to another port, but the SSL port is the same (so I get the best of both worlds - my sharepoint site from http:\\me.homeserver.com and my WHS Remote Access page from https://me.homeserver.com).  I recently had to re-install my home server (primary drive failure) so there have been changes on my WHS, but before (in my previous installation of WHS) I had the same configuration  with sharepoint on port 80 (at least, I thought so) without any problems. 

Can anyone help with this?  I tried switching IP addresses back (making my WSS sites respond to a different port and putting the WHS site back to port 80), but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?  I'm really stuck.  I can't get W7 to connect, and I can't go back to Vista because my Restore CD can't find the server! :-(

Thanks!
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:06 PM