SyncToy does obviously unnecessary overwrites RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use SyncToy for saving a structure of roughly 220 subfolders and 5000 files.

When I copy the left folder to the right folder and afterwards run an SyncToy-Echo between those folders, I get overwrites of all files at the right folder. This takes endlessly and seems to be completely unnecessary since both folders are identical. Why is this and what can I do to shorten the process? Thank you all in advance.

Saturday, May 23, 2009 9:24 AM

All replies

• Check the attributes of the files in both locations. If they are different, SyncToy will attempt an overwrite. I found that removing read only in the left folder and sub folders attributes sometimes will fix this problem.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Sorry, when I set the check-mark to "exclude read-only files", the same happens. All files are overwritten even if they are already there. Also the attributes of the files are the same, I copied them beforehand.
    Also the copying times are exorbitantly higher. Copying the folder to the USB-stick takes 20 minutes. Doing a first Echo to the folder at the USB-stick with the identical content takes 2 hours and 45 minutes with all the overwrites!!! This makes a functionally exceptionally good tool practically unusable. After the first endless Echo-run however, all seem to work well. Only the changed files are copied afterwards.

Any other suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Saturday, May 23, 2009 4:45 PM
  • I also found out, that those "unnecessary" overwrites only happen if you Echo a folder on the notebook to an identical folder at a USB-stick. If the right folder exists identically also on the notebook, no overwrites are created. Any explanation? If that is a bug, is there a chance that this will be fixed? After all, Saving the latest changes of a large folder is mostly done to an external device.

Again many thanks.

Saturday, May 23, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Hi Chris

From what I understood, you manually copied the files on the left folder to the right folder, and then attempted to run SyncToy-echo between the two. 

When you copy files manually and then try to synchronize these, even though the file names are the same, SyncToy will see them as different because their creation time is not the same (when you copy files manually to a new destination the time properties change).  So what it does it copies a new version of the file named filename.2  (See the SyncToy FAQ question "After SyncToy 2.0 runs, I see rogue .1, .2, etc files appear in my folders.  What should I do?")

Why are you copying files and then using Echo?  SyncToy echo will replicate the exact folder structure/files.  Do you get duplicate names if you synchronize the files with echo the first time (without copying them) and tehn running SyncToy echo again, when the right folder is an USB disk?

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena Microsoft Sync Framework
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Hi -

I do apologize for the inconvenience. You are right that this scenario has a bug in it - we will work on getting a fix out for this in our next release. In the meantime - the only workaround would be to use SyncToy to copy the files over to the right side ( instead of doing this manually yourself).

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Thank you, Maria, for coping with my problem. I was absent for a while.

I copied my files beforehand because this takes only 20 minutes vs. 160 minutes with SyncToy. (Unfortunately, even Synchronizing into an empty folder takes tremendously more time) and I thought, future runs of SyncToy would only copy the changes, which it does.

No, I didn't get duplicate names on the USB-stick. I now do synchronize and take into account the long copying time at the first run. Afterwards, synchronizing the changes only runs very quickly.
    If you would find a way to speed up the first copying, that would be great! Thanks a lot! Christl

Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:41 AM
  • Thank you also, Deepa. It is good to know that this will be fixed. Because apart from this, it's an immensely useful tool. Will we get notified when the next release is out? Thanks again. Christl

Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:11 PM
  • Hi folks

I too get ridiculous overwrites with Synctoy because it READS the time stamp wrongly.

I sync my stuff between my home computer and office computer with my USB Thumbdrive as the transfering device, both are Windows XP.

When I look at my files on my home hard disk and USB Thumbdrive with Windows Explorer, all files on both drives have identical date and time stamps.

But when I run Synctoy in Preview mode, my home hard disk files are listed as 8 hours NEWER while the USB Thumbdrive are listed correctly.

So Synctoy will attempt to overwrite my USB Thumbdrive with my home hard disk file. *sigh*

Please help!
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

If your USB is FAT and your hard drive is NTFS then you might run into time stamp issues because of different formats between the two file systems.  This is fixed in the next version of synctoy.

-Jesse
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Hi,
    I has the same problem and would you please to say when the next version of SyncToy with this problem fixed will be available?
    Mikhail.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Hi -

Liam talks about when we have the next version out at the end of this thread.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/synctoy/thread/71f6f17a-0416-4120-85a0-1b6a1f105920

Thnks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, June 8, 2009 5:58 PM