HP MediaSmart + USB-to-HDMI converter RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to the Windows Home Server world.  I am thinking about buying an HP MediaSmart ex470.  Mainly just for storage space to stream content over Windows Media Connect to any of the DirecTV HR-20 HD DVR's around my house (music mainly).  However, I was wondering if it is possible to use a USB to HDMI converter, such as http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=4572 with the MediaSmart so that it could connect directly to an HDTV in my home theater.  Has anyone tried this?  Considering the MediaSmart doesn't have a video card, how would one go about getting WHS to recognize the device as being for video output, copy the driver to WHS and run the installer that way?  Am I crazy to think it possible to stream HD content over this type of device (as in, is USB even fast enough for HD content)?

TIA
    Monday, October 27, 2008 9:39 PM

Answers

• Brian,

Sorry to say, that it won't work. It's something that has been mentioned before and trialled on another forum a few times, without success. There is in fact, a pin header on the HP server where, with knowledge and luck, a VGA connector can be installed, but even then, I would doubt very seriously, whether the HP would have enough grunt to provide an HD output and still be able to do it's judgemental tasks.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:26 AM