Client computer won't go back to sleep after WHS backup RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched, but have not had luck finding anything (or I don't know what to search for!). I have three Vista computers in the house. They all wake up from S3 state in the middle of the night and perform a proper WHS backup. However, one of the three (w/ a recent install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit) won't go back to sleep after the backup. The other two go to sleep almost immediately after the backup has completed. Within 30-seconds after the HomeServer (in the Application Log file) reports that the Backup Set # has completed, Kernel-Power (in System Log file) enters sleep. This tells me that the WHS Connector driver is putting the computer to sleep, versus anything I have set in my Power Options (ie. Sleep After xx minutes of idle).

What could be preventing my computer from going to sleep? In the power options, I've set all that I know of, including allow computer to sleep if sharing media. There are two problems that I see, both of which might be related: 1) Why doesn't the WHS Connector put the computer to sleep after the backup is complete and 2) Why won't the computer go to sleep on it's own after reaching a the Sleep After Idle timeout?

If I get back onto the machine in the morning (since it's been on all night since the backup), tinker around with it, then leave it idle, it will put itself to sleep. Perhaps my interaction takes it out of whatever state the WHS put it in? If I wake the computer up on it's own during the day, then leave it idle, it will go to sleep on it's own.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The WHS Connector only uses the existing power options, so in theory, should put the machine(s) back to the state they were in previously.
    However, power option settings are implemented differently, depending on the manufacturer and this can cause some problems as you've found.

There is a small program called Toff, which can force a computer into a power down state at a preset time or after a period. I've used it on a couple of computers, which had exactly the same problems as you are seeing.
    One of these computers, I found, after a couple of weeks, was that it had reverted to doing what it should do, so I removed Toff, and it's been fine since.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:31 PM
  • bondisdead said:

I've searched, but have not had luck finding anything (or I don't know what to search for!). I have three Vista computers in the house. They all wake up from S3 state in the middle of the night and perform a proper WHS backup. However, one of the three (w/ a recent install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit) won't go back to sleep after the backup. The other two go to sleep almost immediately after the backup has completed. Within 30-seconds after the HomeServer (in the Application Log file) reports that the Backup Set # has completed, Kernel-Power (in System Log file) enters sleep. This tells me that the WHS Connector driver is putting the computer to sleep, versus anything I have set in my Power Options (ie. Sleep After xx minutes of idle).

What could be preventing my computer from going to sleep? In the power options, I've set all that I know of, including allow computer to sleep if sharing media. There are two problems that I see, both of which might be related: 1) Why doesn't the WHS Connector put the computer to sleep after the backup is complete and 2) Why won't the computer go to sleep on it's own after reaching a the Sleep After Idle timeout?

If I get back onto the machine in the morning (since it's been on all night since the backup), tinker around with it, then leave it idle, it will put itself to sleep. Perhaps my interaction takes it out of whatever state the WHS put it in? If I wake the computer up on it's own during the day, then leave it idle, it will go to sleep on it's own.

Hi,

If you have any peripherals attached to the client that you don't use, please try removing them. Also please check that you are using the most up to date BIOS and drivers for the client that is experiencing this problem.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

bondisdead said:

I've searched, but have not had luck finding anything (or I don't know what to search for!). I have three Vista computers in the house. They all wake up from S3 state in the middle of the night and perform a proper WHS backup. However, one of the three (w/ a recent install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit) won't go back to sleep after the backup. The other two go to sleep almost immediately after the backup has completed. Within 30-seconds after the HomeServer (in the Application Log file) reports that the Backup Set # has completed, Kernel-Power (in System Log file) enters sleep. This tells me that the WHS Connector driver is putting the computer to sleep, versus anything I have set in my Power Options (ie. Sleep After xx minutes of idle).

Hi,

If you have any peripherals attached to the client that you don't use, please try removing them. Also please check that you are using the most up to date BIOS and drivers for the client that is experiencing this problem.

Thank you

I have the most up to date BIOS and drivers. It is a new motherboard, the Intel DG45ID (G45 chipset). I do have Gyration & Logitech dongles installed, so I will try and remove those and see. I really hope that is not it, as that will make my HTPC somewhat useless! But just to understand correctly, the Connector driver should put the computer back to sleep, yes? I need to figure out whether it's actually doing that, and if so, what is preventing it from occurring. It is strange that the computer will go into standby by it's own, just not after the WHS has done it's thing.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:39 PM
  • bondisdead said:

I have the most up to date BIOS and drivers. It is a new motherboard, the Intel DG45ID (G45 chipset). I do have Gyration & Logitech dongles installed, so I will try and remove those and see. I really hope that is not it, as that will make my HTPC somewhat useless! But just to understand correctly, the Connector driver should put the computer back to sleep, yes? I need to figure out whether it's actually doing that, and if so, what is preventing it from occurring. It is strange that the computer will go into standby by it's own, just not after the WHS has done it's thing.

For Vista, the backup software does not send the machine into S3.

Here's what the developer had to say the last time I asked him about it:

Vista’s power management code handles that. If the machine was automatically awakened, and no user interaction events have occurred, Vista will try to resume the previous sleep mode within 2 minutes after backup finished. If any user interaction events (like moving the mouse) have occurred, then your configured power-management policy applies.

Technically, the connector is not putting your machine to sleep, Vista is and it would appear that after installing the connector and running a backup, something is leaving your machine in a state where it cannot enter sleep. This would be where the bug is exposed.

Consider removing the USB peripherals a temporary step in narrowing down the offending device and not a permanent solution. If you discover that they are what is causing your machine to refuse S3, you may want to contact the manufacturer of your motherboard and see if there is a patch.

Thank you

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:14 PM
  • Hi,
    The Connector software itself, doesn't put the computer back to sleep. It just calls the powercfg which should pick up your settings.
    It could be worthwhile running through the steps in this blog, it shows how to query attached devices for their state.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:15 PM
  •  I have noticed also that the one of my clients do not always go back to sleep after the backup.  It is successfuly powered on, and hte backup completes successfuly but then it never powers off.  When I have noticed this, I see that my wife has left Outlook open and some other IE windows.  My initial tests have shown that when I check her computer before going to be and I close the applications she loves to leave open, the computer comes on backs up and then powers off after it is done and the timeout occurs.  The problem with this experiement is that sometimes I don't get around to closing the apps and it works just fine.  I check it in the morning and sure enough the apps are open.  So I don't have conclusive evidence, but, closing the apps works when I do it.

Michael
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Colin Hodgson said:

Hi,
    The Connector software itself, doesn't put the computer back to sleep. It just calls the powercfg which should pick up your settings.
    It could be worthwhile running through the steps in this blog, it shows how to query attached devices for their state.

Colin

Thanks for the link/blog. Very good information, and useful for debugging other issues. Fortunately, I have no problem manually putting the computer to sleep and waking it up. It only seems to be a problem automatically putting the computer back to sleep. I've gone thru the various log files, and it was working about 10-days ago. Right after the backup completed, the PC went back to sleep. Since the A/V receiver that the PC's HDMI audio/video output was connected to was off, and no activity was occurring on the connected remote/keyboard, the PC shut down. This is as described in a few posts above. But something happened where it stopped working. Initially, it would go to sleep after the powercfg sleep timer was triggered, then later it wouldn't go to sleep at all. I will have to go back and see what has changed. Quite a bit, to be honest, as I'm configuring a HTPC with Blu-Ray!
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:34 PM
  • Good Luck!
    If you can pin it down fully, let us know, as this problem comes up now and again.

Colin
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:37 PM
  • Well I had good results yesterday, but back to the same problem this morning. :-( I went thru the log history, and determined the date of the last clean backup. I used the wonderful WHS restore function to put the computer back to that dates. I ran windows update, reactivated windows, downloaded Symantec updates, etc. The following night, the WHS backup was completely clean. Computer powered up, a backup was performed, then the PC goes back to sleep. Fantastic! Last night, I watch a movie, then put computer to sleep. This morning? PC is back on!! Back to normal activity, where computer won't go to sleep due to inactivity. I'm starting to believe it's a motherboard problem, as I have not problems with any of my other computers.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:52 PM
  • bondisdead said:

Well I had good results yesterday, but back to the same problem this morning. :-( I went thru the log history, and determined the date of the last clean backup. I used the wonderful WHS restore function to put the computer back to that dates. I ran windows update, reactivated windows, downloaded Symantec updates, etc. The following night, the WHS backup was completely clean. Computer powered up, a backup was performed, then the PC goes back to sleep. Fantastic! Last night, I watch a movie, then put computer to sleep. This morning? PC is back on!! Back to normal activity, where computer won't go to sleep due to inactivity. I'm starting to believe it's a motherboard problem, as I have not problems with any of my other computers.

Hi,

Sorry I haven't touched this thread in awhile.  I'm in the process of reviewing older threads and I caught this post.

... I've also been on vacation.

You are probably correct that this a motherboard problem but I noticed that you watched a movie. Did you have to install a codec in order to watch this movie and/or did you update the video driver to watch the movie?

If you roll back the video driver or uninstall the codec, does the machine go back to sleep?

Thank you
    Monday, October 27, 2008 4:53 PM
  • Bondisdead - this might be the same problem I had a little while ago.  What I found was that my Vista client machines would go to sleep fine automatically after booting up, but once I initiated media streaming from the WHS machine (eg. movies, music) the Vista clients would not put themselves to sleep.  Was that movie you mentioned streaming from the WHS?

The only solution to this I found was to install the MST application http://slicksolutions.eu/ .  It's excellent, and should help your machine put itself to sleep after media streaming from the WHS box.  There are a couple of things to know.  You need to check all the boxes on the MST setup tab (I think "eHome") - one of them says something like "treat all unscheduled resumes as guide update or recording"  Tick the three boxes there (sorry I'm not looking at it right now).  Otherwise the WHS backup of your clients will fail (MST will put the machine to sleep in the middle of the backup).  Also, don't set MST to reboot the machine (leastways not daily) because it seems to choose the middle of backup time out of preference to reboot! 

MST seems to do the trick for me, but the developer is also trying to see if he can add some WHS-specific functionality.

A couple of other thoughts - Michael Harrelson mentioned some apps which will keep a Vista machine from goint to sleep.  I'd add another to the list, minilyrics (just in case you run it).  I've sometimes wondered if myMovies has caused me problems too, and I'm looking forward to the new myMovies for WHS due in the next couple of days.  Open dialogue boxes of a range of descriptions seem to prevent sleep.  That's why MST reboot option is often useful.

Good luck.
    • Edited by emuu Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:10 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:43 AM
  • I cant configure vista to wakeup when it is time to backup WHS.  It is plugged in.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 5:55 PM
  • I have the same issue with Windows Update on a Vista laptop.  I have since reverted not to let the system do an automatic update.  But I sure would like to go back to automatic updating and have the laptop go back to sleep after updating.
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 12:58 PM