WGA Crashes and generally misbehaves RRS feed

• Question

• I posted a question earlier in the year and never reached a satisfactory resoloution. Here is the situation.

WGA crashes all the time on my Dell. I can use Windows MEdiaplayer 11 because it wont even make it past the validation!

I just reinstalled windows from the Dell recovery CD this morning and already WGA is crashing on me. Here is what I have installed.

Win XP with SP2 slipstreamed from Dell recovery CD.

Drivers.

Office 2003

Widnows update

Thats when the WGA problems cropped up.as soon as windows update finished I started getting frequent WGA crashes when I would try to do anything that requries WGA to run, like launch Media Player or download files from Microsoft.com.

Since the above I have installed Firefox and SecureRemote as I do have to work sometime.

From the diag tool....

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 3g4CZGFEDgbKmn/oB4pa2FZsssU=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {563DDEBB-024E-4784-BCE2-F96A8AEE7F55}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-282-80041004_025D1FF3-170-80041004_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.1
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{563DDEBB-024E-4784-BCE2-F96A8AEE7F55}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-507921405-1715567821-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 8400               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Version>A09</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060707000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>D47030870184E06D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>28B3C7AD426DDF3</Val><Hash>iDiQGvlTQ8T3HGj8cxZ9RHS8YjY=</Hash><Pid>70145-761-2550054-57668</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, July 5, 2007 7:28 PM

Answers

• Richard,

I researched your old Forum request and attempted to look up the SRX number but I can't find this information in our database. Would it be possible to ask you to resubmit the request? In turn I apologize for this. All looks fine with the info you submitted on the diag report. Tell me what did the customer help line try for troubleshooting when you submitted the request? Let me know if you would be willing to submit again. Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 5, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Hello Stephen,

The old SRX # was SRX1031097443ID. I eventually gave up out of frustration. Both from the fact that nothing we tried made the situation any better and due to communication issues I had with the person on my ticket. She tried but I felt like we just werent on the same page.

My main frustration comes from literally this is a forma reinstall, install the broadcom nic driver, the ati video driver and then do windows update leaving IE7 and WGA till after everything else was installed and I had rebooted. Then when I finally try WGA the WGA setup window appeared I clicked next to work my way through it and it crashed, funny thing was, after I submitted the crash report the WGA window advanced to the last screen.

Please let me know how to proceed and  I will be happy to I'd like to be able to use this machine again without all the problems WGA has brought me. I've got a good grasp of windows and troubleshooting (being a former MS MVP) I just need to know what you want me to do.

Thanks
    Richard Ahlquist
    Friday, July 6, 2007 5:00 AM
  • In an attempt to get a premptive strike on this today I formatted and reinstalled XP again using the Dell proviced OS recovere CD with Service Pack 2 built in.

Then I installed my broadcom driver so I could get online.

Then I did windows update, got the 3 item up date that comes first (windows installer WGA and something else) rebooted.

Then ran windows update again and chose Custom and chose every critical update and every optional software update. It downloaded 88 updates, when it got to the WGA util it displayed the screens but during the WGA install it crashed ( Fault bucket 462601995. ) after I let it send the report to MS IE crashed ( Fault bucket 462602629. )and aborted me out of my update process.

I then rebooted and WGA crashed on login

The error from event viewer for the WGA crash is;

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: DrWatson
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4097
    Date:  7/6/2007
    Time:  8:30:06 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: UAMIS013682
    Description:
    The application, C:\WINDOWS\system32\wgatray.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 07/06/2007 @ 08:30:06.718 The exception generated was c000001d at address 01240DA2 (<nosymbols>)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data: <removed due to length>

So as you can see thats a very clean install and I still get the WGA crash issue. Obviously something is very wrong.

Friday, July 6, 2007 12:49 PM
  • Stephen,

I took the time to check my CD key and found that the reinstall which never prompts for a key uses a Dell volume key. So I followed the instructions in this thread http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=420092&SiteID=25 to change the key to match the one on my COA on the side of my tower. When I tried to do this it told me the key couldnt be activated online and was invalid and that I should contact MS. So I contacted Dell and let them know about everything that was going on and they are providing me with a replacement CD and KEY. As soon as it gets here I will reinstall with that and get it activated and let you know if WGA still crashes.

Do you see anything wrong with any of my above methodology when it comes to how I am getting windows installed and updated?

Thanks!

Friday, July 6, 2007 2:36 PM
  • Richard Ahlquist,

The common denominator seems to be that you are using a composite installation CD, the original Dell OS Reinstallation CD plus SP2 slipstreamed into it.

Previous experience with Dell OS Reinstallation CDs, which need a special procedure to slipstream, leads me to think that this may be the problem, since the WGA Notifications update installation uses the same installer as SP2.

Can you try to do another clean installation, this time using your original, not slipstreamed Dell OS reinstallation CD?  Install using this, then just let Windows update feed you the necessary SPs and updates.

BTW, the fact that the Dell CD uses Dell's standard deployment Product Key should have nothing to do with the issue at hand.  Changing the PK to the PK on the CoA will work, except that the PK on those major manufacturer computer's CoAs have been removed from the automatic online activation database for quite some time now.  You have to do a telephonic activation.

Friday, July 6, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Hi Dan,

When I said the CD is slipstreamed, I meant it came that way from Dell, it is the original CD.  The CD Label reads;

Operating System

Already installed on your computer

Reinstallation CD

Microsoft Windows CP Professional

Including Service Pack 2

So it isnt one that I had built.

Why the need for the telephonic activation on those COA? Thats a major Pain. Its honestly getting to the point where it would be easier to pirate this software than to be an honest user and have to jump through all these hoops.

Regardless I highly doubt my WGA problems are at all related to the CD Key, but I know how some folks when troubleshooting like to eliminate all the possibilities. So I can either call and activate or wait for the new CD Dell is sending with its new key.

What steps then?

Friday, July 6, 2007 3:37 PM
  • Hi Richard,
    I've been in similar circumstances and on rare occasions, it's something unrelated or "last thing that makes sense" usually turns out to be the culprit.

While you're waiting for your replacement Dell CD/KEY, I'd recommend trying the following:
    a) If you have a floppy drive on your Dell, you can try making a memtest86+ floppy image, boot off this floppy and let this run overnight.  I've had systems with flakey memory that will run the system perfectly fine, but only really manifest when doing patches and such (as these are usually decompression + lots of data read/write I/O).   You can also make a memtest86+ bootable cd if you have access to another pc with cd-burner as you can also download a bootable ISO image.  Use a web-search engine for Memtest86+.   Bottom line is- if a PC can get 6-10 complete passes through a fresh booted Memtest86+, memory is pretty reliably tested.  

b) If you have access to another NIC card/PCI NIC, this would be the second test once you have ruled out memory.  An older/flakey NIC card can cause it's checksumming and flow control to allow small errors in transferred files, thus also corrupting patches/updates. 

I've seen issues such as the above bypass crc/checksumming and the update process before.  They are indeed longshots, but assuming your CD image is good, I'd check out the two above if you have down time before your new CD arrives.

Good luck!
    Friday, July 6, 2007 11:19 PM
  • Phil,

Here are the System and Application portions of my event logs exported from my system ( download them at http://pcsites.com/system.zip ). I have my new CD from Dell and will be trying reinstall today. We will see if there is any appreciable difference in the outcome.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I will post back what results I get regardless.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:16 AM
  • Well the new Dell CD didnt have much of an affect if any. Formatted, installed, Windows Updated first 3 pieces to update windows update. Ran windows update to download 88 patches (will paste list at end of message) one patch failed during download, IE7 failed during install. Kept rebooting and running windows update until I was 100% up to date.  WGA crashes after login. At one point during the update progress it even bluescreened when rebooting.

My new event log from this mornings install is at http://pcsites.com/system2.zip

So whats the next suggestion, while waiting I will get out my memtest (on ultimate bootcd) and run it. I may be able to install another Nic I have plenty of 3Com 905C laying around but I think the broadcom in this dell is built into the motherboard so I dont know how well I will be able to disable it (other than unhooking the cable).

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:17 PM
  • Phil,

I've uploaded new crash logs to http://pcsites.com/user.zip it has two crashes only related to WGA. Dont know if it will be helpful or not but last week I did install the xp sp2 debug symbols.

Monday, July 16, 2007 11:24 AM
  • Any word guys?
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:28 PM
  • Ack! (Again) Sorry for missing the reply. Its a good thing I have this post bookmarked Smile. I didn't notice the new drop of the DrWatson logs.

We're looking at the dump, and it looks like the file "LegitCheckControl.dll" (used by WGATray.exe) is crashing upon checking license status (normally we check once and leave it be, but it hasn't "checked" all the way through without crashing yet - which is why it is doing that repeatedly).

Quick question - have you unregistered licdll.dll?

-phil

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:39 PM
  • Thank you Phil,

No, I have not tried the "regsvr32 /u licdll.dll", should I give that a shot? Did I get the verbiage correct?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:14 PM
  • Actually, instead of that, does it crash also when you try to validate? (www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate Windows)?

If it does, can you zip-and give us a drop of your OEMBios.dat file (located in system32)? It looks like there's some stack corruption going on due to (possibly) the way the image is slipstreamed.

If you prefer, I can contact you directly as well via e-mail if you submit a technical service request (and provide the SR number) at www.microsoft.com/genuinesupport

-phil

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Richard I'll follow-up via e-mail.

Could you double-check that SR#? Is it "SRX1039764590" or "SRZ1039764590"?

Thanks,

-phil

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:50 PM
  •  

Hey guys Ive been having the same problem. My problem started out with core 2 duo reliability issues, I updated and everything was actually getting better until frame work 2.0 and 3.0 was installed with the security updates. These are the errors I am getting

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.3156, faulting module browseui.dll, version 6.0.2900.3157, fault address 0x00041005.

ault bucket 00733296

Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d

Fault bucket 498338052.

Everything is about the same except I can and already have validated and it is not a dell if that helps any. I am not able to get to my computer, my documents, or my network places using the gui. I was hoping to find a fix here I have had nothing but problems with this machine if anyone could help it would be greatly apressiated. Thank you

Sunday, August 26, 2007 7:04 AM
  • I'm having same issue can only get PC to boot in safe mode.   Dell PC w/XP Pro SP2.  What a nightmare.  So many hours lost.

All software from DELL and they are lost even with full access to all our PC's.

This WGA thing is funny why is it bothering us honest folks?  We pay like $300.00+ for just the OS through Dell and now we're down.  

We'll see what happens on the 27th as America will back at work.  Good luck all.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 8:44 PM
  • Zyvoloski, filcro,

You folks should start your own threads and proved the debugging information they request in the post at the top of the forum. Hijacking my thread with generic complaints wont get you as much help as startign our own dedicated threads. Trust me if you have legitimate issues with WGA the group here will work to the bitter end to resolve it.

Richard
    Monday, August 27, 2007 1:32 AM
  • Filcro,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  In turn the tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the “Windows” tab, click “Copy”, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Stephen Holm, MS
    Monday, August 27, 2007 10:55 PM
  • I apoligize for writing in this thread again but I thought this might help some of you viewing this. My problems of many were exactly like the ones mentioned in this thread but then they seemed to get worst. On a fresh install all was well everything worked pretty well. Once updated my system would be very erratic. Keep in mind I had just built this pc and with my rep and ego I guess you could say the first finger I pointed was at microsoft updates because that was when I had the problems. In case it was a hardware issue I ran system tests all checking out ok. Again back to microsoft I even went as far as flashing the bios since there were some fixes for my motherboard. Nothing worked. I installed linux and linux worked rather well so I thought I would give vista a try. I loaded vista all was actually ok until the system check, vista does a more complete system check and my system would crash before it even finished. I had my first idea I went back to the xp instal and used the nvidia ntune to check my system all turned exellent results except for one thing my ram. The ram I purchased was 1 gb of memory pro I believe dell uses the same exact ram that I had. It wierded me that all tests were ok using xp but invidia program saying ram was not up to par. I waited not really believing the results eventually I gave in and I bought 2 dual channel 512mb  sticks of kingston ddr2 667 , because it was on sale 50$ for both sticks that is cheep so I figured if that was the problem or not it was still cheep and who couldnt use more ram. I installed it and took out the memory pro. My system is 100% now that was my whole problem and from the very beginning ram was the last thing I thought it could be. I believe this could be others problems as well not all but its worth a shot again no issues now with anything even WGA. Again I apoligize for cutting into this thread again I just thought this was the best place to put this. Good luck everyone hopefully this will help fix atleast 1 persons problem I know how stressful it can get.

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:38 AM

All replies

• Richard,

I researched your old Forum request and attempted to look up the SRX number but I can't find this information in our database. Would it be possible to ask you to resubmit the request? In turn I apologize for this. All looks fine with the info you submitted on the diag report. Tell me what did the customer help line try for troubleshooting when you submitted the request? Let me know if you would be willing to submit again. Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 5, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Hello Stephen,

The old SRX # was SRX1031097443ID. I eventually gave up out of frustration. Both from the fact that nothing we tried made the situation any better and due to communication issues I had with the person on my ticket. She tried but I felt like we just werent on the same page.

My main frustration comes from literally this is a forma reinstall, install the broadcom nic driver, the ati video driver and then do windows update leaving IE7 and WGA till after everything else was installed and I had rebooted. Then when I finally try WGA the WGA setup window appeared I clicked next to work my way through it and it crashed, funny thing was, after I submitted the crash report the WGA window advanced to the last screen.

Please let me know how to proceed and  I will be happy to I'd like to be able to use this machine again without all the problems WGA has brought me. I've got a good grasp of windows and troubleshooting (being a former MS MVP) I just need to know what you want me to do.

Thanks
    Richard Ahlquist
    Friday, July 6, 2007 5:00 AM
  • In an attempt to get a premptive strike on this today I formatted and reinstalled XP again using the Dell proviced OS recovere CD with Service Pack 2 built in.

Then I installed my broadcom driver so I could get online.

Then I did windows update, got the 3 item up date that comes first (windows installer WGA and something else) rebooted.

Then ran windows update again and chose Custom and chose every critical update and every optional software update. It downloaded 88 updates, when it got to the WGA util it displayed the screens but during the WGA install it crashed ( Fault bucket 462601995. ) after I let it send the report to MS IE crashed ( Fault bucket 462602629. )and aborted me out of my update process.

I then rebooted and WGA crashed on login

The error from event viewer for the WGA crash is;

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: DrWatson
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4097
    Date:  7/6/2007
    Time:  8:30:06 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: UAMIS013682
    Description:
    The application, C:\WINDOWS\system32\wgatray.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 07/06/2007 @ 08:30:06.718 The exception generated was c000001d at address 01240DA2 (<nosymbols>)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data: <removed due to length>

So as you can see thats a very clean install and I still get the WGA crash issue. Obviously something is very wrong.

Friday, July 6, 2007 12:49 PM
  • Stephen,

I took the time to check my CD key and found that the reinstall which never prompts for a key uses a Dell volume key. So I followed the instructions in this thread http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=420092&SiteID=25 to change the key to match the one on my COA on the side of my tower. When I tried to do this it told me the key couldnt be activated online and was invalid and that I should contact MS. So I contacted Dell and let them know about everything that was going on and they are providing me with a replacement CD and KEY. As soon as it gets here I will reinstall with that and get it activated and let you know if WGA still crashes.

Do you see anything wrong with any of my above methodology when it comes to how I am getting windows installed and updated?

Thanks!

Friday, July 6, 2007 2:36 PM
  • Richard Ahlquist,

The common denominator seems to be that you are using a composite installation CD, the original Dell OS Reinstallation CD plus SP2 slipstreamed into it.

Previous experience with Dell OS Reinstallation CDs, which need a special procedure to slipstream, leads me to think that this may be the problem, since the WGA Notifications update installation uses the same installer as SP2.

Can you try to do another clean installation, this time using your original, not slipstreamed Dell OS reinstallation CD?  Install using this, then just let Windows update feed you the necessary SPs and updates.

BTW, the fact that the Dell CD uses Dell's standard deployment Product Key should have nothing to do with the issue at hand.  Changing the PK to the PK on the CoA will work, except that the PK on those major manufacturer computer's CoAs have been removed from the automatic online activation database for quite some time now.  You have to do a telephonic activation.

Friday, July 6, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Hi Dan,

When I said the CD is slipstreamed, I meant it came that way from Dell, it is the original CD.  The CD Label reads;

Operating System

Reinstallation CD

Including Service Pack 2

Why the need for the telephonic activation on those COA? Thats a major Pain. Its honestly getting to the point where it would be easier to pirate this software than to be an honest user and have to jump through all these hoops.

Regardless I highly doubt my WGA problems are at all related to the CD Key, but I know how some folks when troubleshooting like to eliminate all the possibilities. So I can either call and activate or wait for the new CD Dell is sending with its new key.

What steps then?

Friday, July 6, 2007 3:37 PM
  • Richard Ahlquist,

Ah, OK on the Dell CD with SP2, I was thinking that you had slipstreamed it yourself, and knowing how that can be tricky on a Dell CD I was leaning in that direction.

Other than that, I have no idea why a squeaky clean fresh installation of XP would not run the WGA Notifications installation.

You are repartitioning and reformatting prior to running the Dell CD, correct?

The normal procedure for using the Dell CD does not require the input of a Product Key, and XP automatically activates them over the internet.  It is only when you choose to use the PK on the CoA to install do you have to do a telephone activation.  The reason for this was to help protect the consumer from someone say going thru an office full of Dells, writing down all the PKs and then using these PKs to activate other computers, which would put future activation of those Dells in jeopardy.  A typical Telephon activation takes about 7 minutes.

Friday, July 6, 2007 4:17 PM
  • So shall I wait for instruction from Stephen on how to proceed with finding out what the problem is?

Heck at this point I'd be willing to make an image and send it to MS if it would do any good.

Friday, July 6, 2007 4:25 PM
  • Additional fault buckets.

Fault bucket 00733296.

Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d.

Fault bucket 462728397.

Faulting application mgadiag.exe, version 1.7.39.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0146083f.

Fault bucket 431019937.

Faulting application wgatray.exe, version 1.7.18.5, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000712.

Fault bucket 462723734.

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x06ae0103.

These are all related to trying to rung WGA or WGA diagnostic app either desktop based or web based.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 7:51 PM
  • Richard:

My deepest apologies for letting this post slip through. Our group thrives on identifying issues such as this and work very hard to minimize any impact on customers.

Stephen did escalate to myself and I will be addressing your issue until full closure (until at least you can run IE7 and WMP11 ..!).

Richard Ahlquist wrote:

Hi Dan,

Operating System

Reinstallation CD

Including Service Pack 2

What steps then?

In regards to the COA sticker, its not necessarily required that you change your SLP image Product Key to match the Product Key on the side of your Dell machine. Its more of a recommended step than anything else.

These COA stickers on the side of machines require telephone activation upon FIRST use because of a long-age anti-piracy method. Our previous research by our legal teams have often found (previously) that would-be piraters would go into stores (such as Best Buy, etc) with Computers on display and rip-off product keys stuck to display model sides. We have since-then required telephone activation to answer a set of security questions to ensure a customer really does own a product key for a specific machine sold from major distributors. Often times, regular consumers never change hardware so the factory image is 100% fine and do not have to use the product key on the side of their PC. 

In regards to the crash logs,

Is there any possibility you have FULL logs from the Event Viewer you can gather from the crash log (whenever WGATray.exe does crash, or WMP11 installation?)

What may be happening is there may be an issue with the slipstream image you're using on your Dell SLP image. Depending on how you configure it, it can cause issues in the licensing files (as SLP images for Dell are designed for specific circumstances from the factory).

We need the FULL logs in order to identify the exact cause.

What may be happening (just as a hunch) is that the slipstream image you're using may have issues with the Dell factory licensing files. As mentioned in another post, you can try unregistering the file "licdll.dll" in the system32 directory by using command prompt to type in "regsvr32 licdll.dll /u" to see if it resolves this issue. This is a very isolated case (which we have documented) that primarily occurs from harddrive issues and drive fragmentation (or even a slipstreamed image that may have some issues depending on configuration).

Thanks, and thanks for your service as a former MS MVP!

-Phil Liu

Program Manager, Windows Genuine Advantage

Friday, July 6, 2007 10:38 PM
  • Thank you for your reply Phil. I do have the full events still stored in my event log but I wont be back into the office until Tuesday. I will provide the logs for any/all of the events you wish. If it will be easier I can save them and zip them and put them on one of my websites with a link in a post here, or I can paste them into messages here. It is your choice, whatever makes the job easiest for you.

As for any slippage of the post, trust me I can understand and am not in the least put off. If it was critical enough of an issue for me I would have become the proverbial squeaky wheel but since its not a machine I watch a lot of videos on and typically only rebooted due to windows update it was only a minor annoyance.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend!
    Richard
    Friday, July 6, 2007 10:58 PM
  • Hi Richard,
    I've been in similar circumstances and on rare occasions, it's something unrelated or "last thing that makes sense" usually turns out to be the culprit.

While you're waiting for your replacement Dell CD/KEY, I'd recommend trying the following:
    a) If you have a floppy drive on your Dell, you can try making a memtest86+ floppy image, boot off this floppy and let this run overnight.  I've had systems with flakey memory that will run the system perfectly fine, but only really manifest when doing patches and such (as these are usually decompression + lots of data read/write I/O).   You can also make a memtest86+ bootable cd if you have access to another pc with cd-burner as you can also download a bootable ISO image.  Use a web-search engine for Memtest86+.   Bottom line is- if a PC can get 6-10 complete passes through a fresh booted Memtest86+, memory is pretty reliably tested.  

b) If you have access to another NIC card/PCI NIC, this would be the second test once you have ruled out memory.  An older/flakey NIC card can cause it's checksumming and flow control to allow small errors in transferred files, thus also corrupting patches/updates. 

I've seen issues such as the above bypass crc/checksumming and the update process before.  They are indeed longshots, but assuming your CD image is good, I'd check out the two above if you have down time before your new CD arrives.

Good luck!
    Friday, July 6, 2007 11:19 PM
  • Phil,

Here are the System and Application portions of my event logs exported from my system ( download them at http://pcsites.com/system.zip ). I have my new CD from Dell and will be trying reinstall today. We will see if there is any appreciable difference in the outcome.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I will post back what results I get regardless.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:16 AM
  • Well the new Dell CD didnt have much of an affect if any. Formatted, installed, Windows Updated first 3 pieces to update windows update. Ran windows update to download 88 patches (will paste list at end of message) one patch failed during download, IE7 failed during install. Kept rebooting and running windows update until I was 100% up to date.  WGA crashes after login. At one point during the update progress it even bluescreened when rebooting.

My new event log from this mornings install is at http://pcsites.com/system2.zip

So whats the next suggestion, while waiting I will get out my memtest (on ultimate bootcd) and run it. I may be able to install another Nic I have plenty of 3Com 905C laying around but I think the broadcom in this dell is built into the motherboard so I dont know how well I will be able to disable it (other than unhooking the cable).

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:17 PM
  • Here is the list of patches that are the main portion of the download when things start to break.

Downloading Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 (update 1 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB873339) (update 2 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Critical Update for Windows XP (KB886185) (update 3 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB885836) (update 4 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302) (update 5 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472) (update 6 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB891781) (update 7 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB885835) (update 8 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428) (update 9 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Update for Windows XP (KB896344) (update 10 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214) (update 11 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859) (update 12 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358) (update 13 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756) (update 14 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591) (update 15 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587) (update 16 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423) (update 17 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Update for Windows XP (KB894391) (update 18 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400) (update 19 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB901017) (update 20 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414) (update 21 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749) (update 22 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725) (update 23 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Update for WMDRM-enabled Media Players (KB891122) (update 24 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 (KB909520) (update 25 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Update for Windows XP (KB910437) (update 26 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706) (update 27 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB908519) (update 28 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019) (update 29 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB911927) (update 30 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows Media Player Plug-in (KB911564) (update 31 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562) (update 32 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531) (update 33 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 (KB917734) (update 34 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB914389) (update 35 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB917344) (update 36 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB918439) (update 37 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB913580) (update 38 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB917953) (update 39 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB911280) (update 40 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Update for Windows XP (KB904942) (update 41 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388) (update 42 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670) (update 43 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683) (update 44 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Update for Windows XP (KB922582) (update 45 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Update for Windows XP (KB916595) (update 46 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB919007) (update 47 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB920685) (update 48 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB923414) (update 49 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB924496) (update 50 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB923191) (update 51 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB924191) (update 52 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB922819) (update 53 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270) (update 54 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Flash Player (KB923789) (update 55 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB923980) (update 56 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB926255) (update 57 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398) (update 58 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB923689) (update 59 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB929969) (update 60 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB928255) (update 61 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB928843) (update 62 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB927802) (update 63 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB924667) (update 64 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB927779) (update 65 of 88)... failed!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB918118) (update 66 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB926436) (update 67 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Update for Windows XP (KB931836) (update 68 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows XP (KB925876) (update 69 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474) (update 70 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Windows Media Player 11 (update 71 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) (update 72 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB925902) (update 73 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784) (update 74 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178) (update 75 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261) (update 76 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Windows Internet Explorer 7.0 for Windows XP (update 77 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168) (update 78 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046) (update 79 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB920213) (update 80 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Update for Windows XP (KB930916) (update 81 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Update for Windows XP (KB927891) (update 82 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB933566) (update 83 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB929123) (update 84 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB935840) (update 85 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2007 (KB890830) (update 86 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Security Update for Windows XP (KB935839) (update 87 of 88)... done!
    Downloading Root Certificates Update (update 88 of 88)... done!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:19 PM
  • Ran memtest for 2 passes. No errors.

Installed 3Com 3C905B-TX, using default windows drivers WGATray still crashed coming into windows.

Suggestions from here?

Update: Currently mid reinstall. I disabled the onboard nic and onboard sound and reinstalled windows, while downloading windows updates it crashed 3 times but didnt fail and continues on, just got to WGA installed click next on the license agreement screen and whammo it crashed just like always. Right when it gets to "Finishing Installation" "Running Processes after install"

Anyway after it finishes I will upload my blasted logs from the event viewer one last time.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Ok last set of logs is at http://pcsites.com/all.zip System is booting at least but we arent getting on too well since WGATray is crashing on every reboot...Tell me what i should do now fellas?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:13 PM
  • Hang on...
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Richard:

My developers are taking a look at the logs. I'll get back to you within 24 hours indefinitely regarding this issue.

-phil

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:04 PM
  • Richard:

It looks like an oddball exception we haven't seen before. Literally, NEVER (out of 500M+ installations!).

Have you submitted the Error-reporting service crash logs (when the item crashes, it allows for events to be sent to MSFT servers)? Our team has to go through those logs for this wierd issue.

If not, please submit a crash log through the error-reporting service.

If so, we're investigating it right now.

-phil

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:09 PM
  • If you mean when the crash happens do I click the button that says something about sending the error log to MS? If so then yes probably over 1000 times I have sent it in the past year.

I'll be happy to provide whatever information I can, however I can. If you need me to download some sort of reporting tool or system scanner just let me know.

This is why I have enjoyed being a beta tester for MS, never know whats oddities are going to crop up.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:07 AM
  • Smile Definitely, thank you very much for being so awesome and helpful!

We're investigating right now. I should (hopefully) have something by end-of-business day today...

-phil

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Thanks phil, I look forward to hearing from you and/or your team.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:35 PM
  • Are thos crickets chirping I hear? Or a dry day in Bothel?
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:03 PM
  • Hello Richard :-),

Phil worked with our developers on your situation. We need the Dr. Watson log/memdump to find out about the crash. 

1.     Ensure that the Log File Path and Crash Dump paths are known to you, so that you can collect the drwtsn32.log along with the USER.DMP file.

2.      Open a command prompt window.

3.      Type drwtsn32.exe.  

Thank you very much Richard and we will get back with you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, July 13, 2007 12:19 AM
  • Ok the new set of logs is at http://pcsites.com/drwtsn32.zip

If you need more data please let me know as I would really like to get this resolved.

Thanks!

Friday, July 13, 2007 11:02 AM
  • Could it be related to a problem with the OEMBIOS.* files?
    Friday, July 13, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Possibly, but our included filescan didn't detect any issues with the OEMBIOS files.

Is there a Dr Watson crash log about the WGATray.exe? The one we're looking at is specific to Update.exe (A component related to Windows Update).

-phil

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:02 PM
  • Richard:

Looking at the log file, it looks like an exception in update.exe (part of Windows Update) that is causing the failure and crash upon reboot while trying to finish installation of programs.

Our developers are taking a look, but additionally I would suggest filing a service request here: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 and be ready to also provide the support-folks your Dr Watson log about the crashing update.exe file.

I'll provide updates as we're investigating on the WGA front-however.  Smile

-phil

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:28 PM
  • Phil,

I've uploaded new crash logs to http://pcsites.com/user.zip it has two crashes only related to WGA. Dont know if it will be helpful or not but last week I did install the xp sp2 debug symbols.

Monday, July 16, 2007 11:24 AM
  • Any word guys?
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:28 PM
  • Ack! (Again) Sorry for missing the reply. Its a good thing I have this post bookmarked Smile. I didn't notice the new drop of the DrWatson logs.

We're looking at the dump, and it looks like the file "LegitCheckControl.dll" (used by WGATray.exe) is crashing upon checking license status (normally we check once and leave it be, but it hasn't "checked" all the way through without crashing yet - which is why it is doing that repeatedly).

Quick question - have you unregistered licdll.dll?

-phil

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:39 PM
  • Thank you Phil,

No, I have not tried the "regsvr32 /u licdll.dll", should I give that a shot? Did I get the verbiage correct?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:14 PM
  • Actually, instead of that, does it crash also when you try to validate? (www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate Windows)?

If it does, can you zip-and give us a drop of your OEMBios.dat file (located in system32)? It looks like there's some stack corruption going on due to (possibly) the way the image is slipstreamed.

If you prefer, I can contact you directly as well via e-mail if you submit a technical service request (and provide the SR number) at www.microsoft.com/genuinesupport

-phil

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Yes it did crash when I tried that, and has all along but not always consitiently. It has also crashed at times when I attempted the diagnostic on that site.

Confirmation number: 1039764590

The oembios.dat has been zipped and placed at http://pcsites.com/oembios.zip

If its easier you can reach me via email using the address

beta

at

pcsites.com

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:14 AM
  • Richard I'll follow-up via e-mail.

Could you double-check that SR#? Is it "SRX1039764590" or "SRZ1039764590"?

Thanks,

-phil

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Phil,

Thats just the confirmation number it gives when you file the ticket the SR # hasnt come yet in email.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:57 PM
  •  

Hey guys Ive been having the same problem. My problem started out with core 2 duo reliability issues, I updated and everything was actually getting better until frame work 2.0 and 3.0 was installed with the security updates. These are the errors I am getting

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.3156, faulting module browseui.dll, version 6.0.2900.3157, fault address 0x00041005.

ault bucket 00733296

Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d

Fault bucket 498338052.

Everything is about the same except I can and already have validated and it is not a dell if that helps any. I am not able to get to my computer, my documents, or my network places using the gui. I was hoping to find a fix here I have had nothing but problems with this machine if anyone could help it would be greatly apressiated. Thank you

Sunday, August 26, 2007 7:04 AM
  • I'm having same issue can only get PC to boot in safe mode.   Dell PC w/XP Pro SP2.  What a nightmare.  So many hours lost.

All software from DELL and they are lost even with full access to all our PC's.

This WGA thing is funny why is it bothering us honest folks?  We pay like $300.00+ for just the OS through Dell and now we're down.  

We'll see what happens on the 27th as America will back at work.  Good luck all.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 8:44 PM
  • Zyvoloski, filcro,

You folks should start your own threads and proved the debugging information they request in the post at the top of the forum. Hijacking my thread with generic complaints wont get you as much help as startign our own dedicated threads. Trust me if you have legitimate issues with WGA the group here will work to the bitter end to resolve it.

Richard
    Monday, August 27, 2007 1:32 AM
  • Filcro,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  In turn the tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the “Windows” tab, click “Copy”, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Stephen Holm, MS
    Monday, August 27, 2007 10:55 PM
  • I apoligize for writing in this thread again but I thought this might help some of you viewing this. My problems of many were exactly like the ones mentioned in this thread but then they seemed to get worst. On a fresh install all was well everything worked pretty well. Once updated my system would be very erratic. Keep in mind I had just built this pc and with my rep and ego I guess you could say the first finger I pointed was at microsoft updates because that was when I had the problems. In case it was a hardware issue I ran system tests all checking out ok. Again back to microsoft I even went as far as flashing the bios since there were some fixes for my motherboard. Nothing worked. I installed linux and linux worked rather well so I thought I would give vista a try. I loaded vista all was actually ok until the system check, vista does a more complete system check and my system would crash before it even finished. I had my first idea I went back to the xp instal and used the nvidia ntune to check my system all turned exellent results except for one thing my ram. The ram I purchased was 1 gb of memory pro I believe dell uses the same exact ram that I had. It wierded me that all tests were ok using xp but invidia program saying ram was not up to par. I waited not really believing the results eventually I gave in and I bought 2 dual channel 512mb  sticks of kingston ddr2 667 , because it was on sale 50$ for both sticks that is cheep so I figured if that was the problem or not it was still cheep and who couldnt use more ram. I installed it and took out the memory pro. My system is 100% now that was my whole problem and from the very beginning ram was the last thing I thought it could be. I believe this could be others problems as well not all but its worth a shot again no issues now with anything even WGA. Again I apoligize for cutting into this thread again I just thought this was the best place to put this. Good luck everyone hopefully this will help fix atleast 1 persons problem I know how stressful it can get.

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:38 AM
  •  

I had an xp home pc which was randomly crashing (BSOD) about every 35 hours +-5 which sounds like a randomized scheduled (invisible to users) SU task.

Since there was nothing consistant in event viewer I was unable to diagnose the cause.

Unable to determine when WGA was initially installed, but got this PC from a relative with quite a bit of spyware

adware and plugins installed, because of its continual crashing.

It had WGA removed using techniques found elsewhere, in April 2007. A shutdown with the offer install updates

re-installed it in Nov 2007. The pc was using a SN found on the internet (changed it to test WGA).

This gets you a boot up with the annoyance popup and the boot screen warming. Also it still did the random

35 hour crashes. Once again, wga was removed using information found elsewhere, and its stopped crashing. Theory is that Kernel is replaced with a version that makes calls to something that can get altered by plugins, spyware, undesirable apps, or wga removal.   It is fixed by wga removal (reg keys and DLLS).

WGA needs serious review. It's main effect here is to waste peoples time and make systems less stable.

I will be reviewing various means SU uses to hide information from users. Take WGA off IE7 and MP11 and maybe I'll let it on my systems.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:16 PM