Can't print to local printer with OneCare installed RRS feed

• Question

• First, I promise that I have tried searching through the forums for help before posting Smile

I'll state my problem, which is pretty simple, then post details below.

When OneCare is installed, (with Print and File Sharing enabled), I can not print using my locally connected printer (USB), much less share it on the network. It acts like it is going to print but nothing ever happens. (One funny thing is, when you open the little spooler/print job window, the print job appears for a split second then disappears.
    Also, the Print Spooler service is set to automatic and is always running when I check it.

If I un-install OneCare, the problem goes away and I can print normally and other computers on the network can see and print on my printer.

Any help with this would really be appreciated. I'm sure it's a simple solution but I just can't get it to work ( tried allowing it through the firewall, etc.)

One last thing, my printer or it's related software rather, is not listed in the (OneCare) firewall's allowed list, however, when I un-install and re-install OneCare, the very first thing upon reboot is OneCare warning that a (printer related file) is attempting access. I always allow it, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.
    Thank you,
    Hugh

Printer:
    -Lexmark 1300
    -Vista 64-bit driver (newest)
    -Connected directly via USB

-Vista Home Premium 64-bit with all updates

OneCare:
    -Version  2.0.2392.4

"I Hope I Didn't Brain My Damage"

Sunday, December 30, 2007 9:23 PM

Answers

• That's an unusual problem and I understand why you didn't find anything related on the forums as I've not seen it before either. It sounds like a driver problem, though it sounds like OneCare is blocking it from functioning properly. If you disable to OneCare firewall, does it work?

I recommend contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 9:58 PM

All replies

• That's an unusual problem and I understand why you didn't find anything related on the forums as I've not seen it before either. It sounds like a driver problem, though it sounds like OneCare is blocking it from functioning properly. If you disable to OneCare firewall, does it work?

I recommend contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 9:58 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, Steve.

I submitted a request to OneCare support as per your instructions.

As to whether disabling the OneCare firewall would allow access to the printer, no, I tried getting the OneCare firewall to allow access to the printer (or drivers) with no succcess so then I tried completely turning off the firewall, which I was sure would work, but it had no effect; still wouldn't work.

Like I said, some of the most odd behavior is that the print job flashes so quickly in the print job little window and then disappears, almost like it had sent the job to the printer and was about to print, except that all other print jobs stay listed for at least several seconds. (or minutes, depending on what you're printing).

After this happens, the Lexmark voice ("Printing has started") nor the Lexmark progress-bar-and-ink-level utility come up and the printer head doesn't budge. 

I kind of like the "centralized utilities" idea of OneCare, but I'll have to get this fixed up somehow before I can really use it.

Thanks again for your assistance,

- Hugh

Saturday, January 5, 2008 10:20 PM
  • You're welcome, Hugh. Please let us know what you find with support. The fact that it also doesn't work when you turn the firewall off, leads me to believe that it isn't that OneCare is blocking anything - which it shouldn't since the printer is local.

Have you tried disconnecting and then reinstalling the printer in Windows?

I also wonder if, because of the new printer sharing features of OneCare, the print spooler service is broken.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:22 PM