Live OneCare keeps losing my external HD RRS feed

• Question

• Every few months OneCare can't find my external HD so therefore won't backup my 3 pcs.  I can access the HD from within "My Computer", even access the OneCare backup folder.  It just seems OneCate can't.  I believe last time this happened 'support' said I needed to delete and restart the backups.  That is becoming intolerable.   Any other ideas?
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 10:44 PM

Answers

• I agree that it is a pain. When this happens, the most likely cause is that the drive location has changed - perhaps being plugged into a different USB port. If the drive is not moved and this happens, something may have changed in OneCare's database. It is also possible, since you are using Centralized Backup, that permissions are somehow getting changed on the backup drive. Support is correct that the easiest way to resolve this is to reset the backup plan and then delete the old backups after performing a new/full backup.
    I suggest beginning to look for an alternative backup solution as the replacement to OneCare, which you will transition to when your current subscription expires, will not have backup as an option. The new program, due for release later this year is free. Your OneCare subscription will be fully supported through its end of life, but renewal will not be possible at that time.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:06 PM

All replies

• I agree that it is a pain. When this happens, the most likely cause is that the drive location has changed - perhaps being plugged into a different USB port. If the drive is not moved and this happens, something may have changed in OneCare's database. It is also possible, since you are using Centralized Backup, that permissions are somehow getting changed on the backup drive. Support is correct that the easiest way to resolve this is to reset the backup plan and then delete the old backups after performing a new/full backup.
    I suggest beginning to look for an alternative backup solution as the replacement to OneCare, which you will transition to when your current subscription expires, will not have backup as an option. The new program, due for release later this year is free. Your OneCare subscription will be fully supported through its end of life, but renewal will not be possible at that time.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:06 PM
  • The drive location is still in the same location and the drive letter is also still the same.  It is there strictly for backup so I have no need to move, remove, replace or generally even think about until WhoCares ooops OneCare does something with it.  As to an altenative I just renewed in May so I have almost another year left in my subscription (for whatever it's worth).  I have the backup program that came with my external drive but I chose not to use it thinking, unwisely apparently, that the integrated MS package would be the best.
    As to the "easiest way" I have a 2TB system.  My current backup says it should take approximately 7 minutes to do the incremental backup.  Would you like to give me an idea of what a new backup would run in time, excluding the time to get rid of the "Do Not Delete" files that are part and parcel of yor backups?
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:06 PM