Port Control!!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

It would be really nice to have the ability to change to port that WHS runs on from the setup interface. This really needs to be there due to the fact that you are supposed to be running this server without keyboard and monitor.  It should be under an advanced tab, for people who don’t know what they are doing with port settings, With lots of warnings.
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 2:29 PM

All replies

• Scott, you should post this as a suggestion on Connect. However, I'm not sure I see the need, and I'm not sure it's technically possible at this time because the connector uses HTTP at some points.

Need: A technically unsophisticated user will likely never need to do this. They aren't running servers on their network now, so there's unlikely to be a conflict. And a technically sophisticated user (enthusiasts) should already know how to configure this through Remote Desktop, and should understand the risks involved.

Connector: The connector uses HTTP to communicate with the server at various points though I don't recall off the top of my head which ports it uses. I'm pretty sure that users who have tried moving the default web site off of ports 80 and 443 have found that they can no longer install the connector on additional client PCs, though.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 4:22 PM