How to fix File Conflicts ("Cannot create a file when that file already exists") RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have been using WHS for about a month.

Now I have just got one File Confict error: "Cannot create a file when that file already exists".

I have searched high and low - can't find any suggestions for fixing the error.

Regards,
    Leigh
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:18 AM

Answers

• Leigh Wardle said:

Hi all,

Now I have just got one File Confict error: "Cannot create a file when that file already exists".

Regards,
    Leigh

Hi Leigh,

This is a known bug related to file names which resemble 8.3 file names. Please rename the file. 

Thank you 
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Leigh,
    did you check already this FAQ?
    This explains various situations, in which file conflicts occur and how to resolve them.

On top of the already recommended solutions (if the files tombstone is not listed below d:\shares anymore on the server), check also the hidden folders D:\DE\shares and C:\fs\<volumemountpoint>\DE\shares for occurences of the file and delete such files there.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Leigh Wardle said:

Hi all,

Regards,
    Leigh

Hi Leigh,

This is a known bug related to file names which resemble 8.3 file names. Please rename the file. 

Thank you 
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:56 PM