Why AnitVirus or Spyware issues Red rather than Yellow RRS feed

• Question

• Why is it that when there is an issue with your AntiVirus software it is a Red status warning in WHS?  I find that on my clients that sometimes Vista doesn't seem to get the correct AV status from McAfee and the warning is not really valid but I get the "Red" icon which always puts the fear of God into me until I can check it out.  I find this weird when a failing hard drive, which is much worse IMHO is only worthy of a Yellow warning.

And why can't you shut this AV/Spyware warning off permanently?  I will disable this on one of my PCs and it will come up again in a few weeks/month.

Does WHS also check to see if you have AV software running on WHS itself?  I don't think I do and I don't know that I have ever seen any warnings.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:14 AM

Answers

• Why is it that when there is an issue with your AntiVirus software it is a Red status warning in WHS?

Because without an up-to-date A/V, your network is at risk.

I find that on my clients that sometimes Vista doesn't seem to get the correct AV status from McAfee and the warning is not really valid but I get the "Red" icon which always puts the fear of God into me until I can check it out.

In that case, you should call McAfee and find out why that is happening (I can't believe Vista is not supported by now).

I find this weird when a failing hard drive, which is much worse IMHO is only worthy of a Yellow warning.

Actually that is correct.  A failing hard drive creates a warning (yellow icon).  A failed hard drive creates a health risk (red icon).

And why can't you shut this AV/Spyware warning off permanently?  I will disable this on one of my PCs and it will come up again in a few weeks/month.

IMO, that would be a bad design (too many novice users would just shut it off and disregard the notifications without understanding the risks).  Frankly, you should fix the problem, not permanently hide it.  However, if you feel that strongly about it, you can always post a suggestion on Connect.

Does WHS also check to see if you have AV software running on WHS itself?  I don't think I do and I don't know that I have ever seen any warnings.
    No, it doesn't.  But considering the code base is Server 2003 (which is basically XP Server), it's not a big surprise (because the health monitoring doesn't work on XP either).
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:58 AM