Developing with Microsoft AutoRoute 2011 or similar RRS feed

• Question

• Good day all,

We are developing an ASP .NET MVC web application that needs to calculate the distance by road between two points (represented by UK postcodes). The calculation we use needs to be the same, or close, to that currently being used by our potential clients, so that we can reassure them there would be no major change in results. Our clients currently calculate these distances using the soon to be deprecated Microsoft MapPoint. I understand there is now Microsoft Bing Maps and Microsoft AutoRoute 2011 to replace this.

• If we buy a copy of Microsoft AutoRoute for our sever, is there an API through which we could access its functionality using C# .NET
    • Or does anybody know of another way to utilize the functionality in AutoRoute programatically instead of on-screen?
    • And, would this cost money in addition to that spent on the AutoRoute licence?
    • I am simultaneously researching the cost of an enterprise licence for Microsoft Bing Maps, which I suspect might be more developer friendly than AutoRoute; I presume they use the same data and algorithms, is that correct?

Many thanks for any insights you would be willing to provide.

All the best

Ben

• Moved by Lie You Friday, October 7, 2011 2:44 AM Microsoft AutoRoute 2011 related (From:Visual C# General)
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hello Ben,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

I'm not familiar with Microsoft AutoRoute 2011, so I suggest you to post it to the following more efficient category for better solution.

AutoRoute, Streets and Trips, MapPoint Forum

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Rocky Yue[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, October 7, 2011 2:44 AM
  • It is the MapPoint Web Service that is being depracated.

The desktop application is not. It is actually the big brother of AutoRoute (and Streets and Trips) it adds some more functionality, demographics, and a COM programming interface. So really you want to be looking at Bing Maps or MapPoint (desktop). Even though I specialize in MapPoint (desktop), for a web application, I would seriously consider using Bing Maps over MapPoint.

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com
    Friday, October 7, 2011 1:27 PM