Windows Fax and Scan RRS feed

• Question

• Help!!!

My old desktop is about to die, so I purchased a Toshiba laptop through Buy.com.  After I purchased it I realized that several items that I thought I had, I did not.  For example, I did not have an internal fax modem and I only received a starter version of Windows 2010 (Windows and Excel only with limited functionality).  My bad for not asking more specific questions but the description on Buy.com was a bit misleading. Therefore, since I am unemployed I am trying to do everything inexpensively.  Since there was no internal fax modem, I purchased an External V.92 56K USB Fax Modem.  I have not been able to get it to work with Windows Fax and Scan.  Toshiba tells me that this is the wrong modem, even though Toshiba told me this is the modem that I should purchase.  They state that I need to buy a great big ole fax machine and that is the only way Microsoft Fax and Scan will work.  From what I have read on the Window site, it does not sound correct.  Toshiba also told me that the fax modem is for dial up service and I have high speed internet through Verizon.  Although, Toshiba also told me that my Verizon service is not very high speed also.  So, below are the specs for my laptop:

Specs:

Toshiba Satellite C655-S5193 15.6" Notebook, Intel Pentium P6200 (2.13GHz), 4GB DDR3 Memory, 320GB HDD, DVD Super Multi-Drive with Labelflash, Intel GMA HD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Can someone tell me if the External V.92 56K USB Fax Modem that I purchased is correct?  It is listed on Amazon under

StarTech.com External V.92 56K USB Fax Modem (USB56KEM2)

Thank you!!!

Lmaxson

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Monday, October 17, 2011 1:05 PM off topic (From:TechNet Website Feedback)
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:47 PM

Answers