Live Mesh running as a service? RRS feed

• Question

• I saw the suggestion item for "Live Mesh software support of Server SKUs" and I'm not sure exactly what support that's requesting.

What I'd very much like to see is support for running the Live Mesh client on a machine as a service (i.e. with no user logged in). I have a couple of very cool ideas I'd like to persue but it really requires that the client be running on an unattended machine (a "server" even if it doesn't happen to be a server SKU).

I saw some talk about people running Live Mesh on Windows Home Server, but it's not clear if there's a user continually logged in or not in that situation. Has anyone played with trying run Live Mesh as a service using SRVANY or some similar trick?
    SBussinger
    Friday, February 20, 2009 7:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Live Mesh already does run as a service - that is the component that listens for a Remote Desktop connection. However, a user must be logged in for the client to run and sync data.
    The reference to support of server SKUs in the suggestion is because Live Mesh is currently not officially supported to run on a Server Operating System, though it can be done.

What service do you want running? Do you want data to Sync with no user logged in?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 20, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Syncing data with no user logged in is precisely what I'm requesting.

Having the remote desktop running as service makes sense for lots of reasons (like UAC prompts for instance), but I don't really think of that as a major part of Live Mesh yet. The file syncing is the part that gets me excited. I'll have to play with the remote access and see how it goes.

Thanks!
    SBussinger
    Friday, February 20, 2009 10:14 PM
  • sbussinger said:

Syncing data with no user logged in is precisely what I'm requesting.

Having the remote desktop running as service makes sense for lots of reasons (like UAC prompts for instance), but I don't really think of that as a major part of Live Mesh yet. The file syncing is the part that gets me excited. I'll have to play with the remote access and see how it goes.

Thanks!

SBussinger

Hi,

We've seen this request a few times.  Please go ahead and file a suggestion feedback item through Connect, then post the Feedback ID in our Suggestions sticky so that others can vote for it!

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:54 PM
  • I've now created a Connect item suggesting support for file syncing with no logged in user:Allow file syncing without user being logged in
    SBussinger
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Thanks for filing the suggestion and for providing the link here.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:58 PM