Adding a drive with data already on it to Vail RRS feed

• Question

• I think I already read this somewhere, but I can't seem the find the source.

I know in WHS v1 if you add a drive with data on it to the data pool, the drive must be formatted first, and then it is added. 

In WHS v2 is this the same behavior. I seem to remember something saying I could add an NTFS drive with data already on it to the pool without losing the data. In other words, Vail would be able to add the data to the pool, and then do what it needs to do to the drive, and then add the drive to the pool.

Is this incorrect? 

Excessive use of hardware.
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:58 AM

Answers

• I think I already read this somewhere, but I can't seem the find the source.

I know in WHS v1 if you add a drive with data on it to the data pool, the drive must be formatted first, and then it is added. 

In WHS v2 is this the same behavior. I seem to remember something saying I could add an NTFS drive with data already on it to the pool without losing the data. In other words, Vail would be able to add the data to the pool, and then do what it needs to do to the drive, and then add the drive to the pool.

Is this incorrect? 

Excessive use of hardware.

Yes, that is incorrect.  Any drive added to the storage pool is formatted (obviously resulting in complete loss of all data on that drive).

You might be thinking of promoting a "non-default" storage pool to the "default" storage pool, but that is when all drives were part of a previous Vail installation and there is no storage pool in the current Vail installation at all.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:06 AM