Drivers for motherboard? RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to put my WHS together, i have got this new motherboard (MSI K9N6SGM-V,  Socket AM2,  DDR2 533/667/800, SATAII, SATA RAID).

I received 2 driver CDs with the motherboard, one for Windows XP and one for Windows Vista.

Which disc do i use to install the drivers??

Many Thanks

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

since Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003, the Windows XP drivers should fit.

You can also check, if the maker of the chipset is offering drivers directly for Windows Server 2003.

If a driver rejects to install, you can try to execute the setup tool of that driver in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode. To do so, right click the installation file, select properties and go to the compatibility tab to change the settings.

Be aware, that not each driver may work properly with Windows Home Server.

In this case you will see random crashes or non working devices.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

since Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003, the Windows XP drivers should fit.

You can also check, if the maker of the chipset is offering drivers directly for Windows Server 2003.

If a driver rejects to install, you can try to execute the setup tool of that driver in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode. To do so, right click the installation file, select properties and go to the compatibility tab to change the settings.

Be aware, that not each driver may work properly with Windows Home Server.

In this case you will see random crashes or non working devices.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:43 PM
  • Thanks Olaf.

Has anyone else had issues when trying to install drivers please??

Thanks Again ppl

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:36 PM
  • Olaf,

I would defenitely try to find drivers that support Windows 2003, especially for the chipset and NIC. If Windows 2003 drivers are unavalible try to use the default drivers suplied by WHS or (when not available) try drivers supporting Windows XP.

Note that using the correct drivers is crucial for stable WHS server operation. Unstable or faulty drivers may result in server instability and/or data loss when running Windows Home Server. At least find drivers supporting Windows 2003 for:

• Chipset support
    • NIC (network controller)
    • SATA

You may need to have the SATA drivers available when installing WHS. Once installed you can manually update the drivers for the chipset and NIC. Video drivers are of less importance (you can use the default or XP drivers for the video chipset) as you will use the WHS and/or RDP form administrative maintance of the server.

Theo.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:35 PM