Why Microsoft should fear Apple RRS feed

• Question

• I’ll tell you why. Apple has gotten smarter about how it competes with Microsoft. Clearly the underdog, Apple has to make moves that can be seen as both supportive of the Windows marketplace and good for its Mac customers at the same time.

The switch to Intel was just such a chess move. Intel hardware makes it easier for Microsoft to create apps for the Mac. It solves a performance problem Apple had. It creates a better experience for Intel-Mac owners because it better supports Windows applications. The CPU architecture also puts Mac and Windows hardware on an easy-to-understand, level playing field. Perhaps most significantly, though, all these advantages appeal to potentially millions of Mac-curious Windows users because it makes the Mac more familiar.

For the first time in its 23-year history, the Mac is finally able to move fluidly into and out of the world of Microsoft Windows and its applications — both in the workplace and at home. Microsoft’s own Office suite plays a big role in that. Microsoft’s commitment to Office 2008 for the Mac lends additional support.

But the untapped source for the Mac is software designed for Windows. VMware is offering a public beta of its Fusion virtualization product for the Mac; the final release is due this summer. In the meantime, it’s the Parallels Desktop software that has been truly transformational for the Mac.

Parallels isn’t just an easy-to-use virtualization utility for running Windows on the Mac. The company’s Coherence feature lets Windows apps run in an all but invisible Windows instance on your Mac. They look for all the world like they’re running on your Mac, not in Windows. Parallels also makes it easy to switch back and forth between a full-screen version of Windows and your full-screen Mac. And Windows XP runs flawlessly on the Mac in Parallels. (Parallels also supports Vista, but not the Aero interface, yet.)

For people who haven’t tried it recently, the most surprising thing about the Mac in 2007 is that software is simply not a problem. Most average Windows users have no idea how rich a software base the Mac has grown in recent years. With convenient access to Windows applications, as well as access to an intriguing, growing market of Mac-specific software, finding great software that runs on the Mac is easier than ever before.

That insidious Macintosh

OK, so full disclosure: I am a recent Mac convert. But before you chalk me up as an apple-eyed Mac fanboy, I’m not your average Windows-to-Mac switcher. No one knows better than me (well, maybe Microsoft’s accountants) how firm a grip on the computer industry Microsoft has. As a Windows reviewer since almost the beginning of Windows (my first tests were of Windows 2.11), I have no illusions about Microsoft’s market lock.

If the Mac or any other desktop OS were to truly put a dent in Microsoft’s desktop market share, it would take 15 years for Windows to “die.” And that’s assuming Microsoft stood still and did nothing. In other words, it ain’t gonna happen.

I also don’t hate Microsoft. I’m not a fanatic. I’m just someone who recognizes a good thing when he sees it.

source : Via Macworld

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:09 PM

Answers

• nice info.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:14 AM
  • nice one man.. keep it going.. this is what we had discussed in one of your threads before.. Also the architecture of apples os is too simple, that is the reason why hackers dont get a loop hole so easily to hack the os.. Microsoft has to take care now, because Apple is entering its market now, till now Apple was mainly only in Europe, but now it has entered Asia and also India...
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:27 AM
  • for that, you need to consult site of apple.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 6:31 PM
  • hey. . .guys . . .was out of MS studentrockstar forsome time ... now we can resume our great discussions. .. keep  posting. . thnks for replying
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:16 PM
  • well we too missed you here.. so bring up some new hot topic...
    I m sure that while the time you took the break, there must be a lot of new information to share...
    So bring it on
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:40 PM
  •  YOGESH_SAXENA_15fbaa wrote:
    Thanks for the info.

You are welcome guys....Wink

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:04 PM
  •  Varun_Modi_a59ed9 wrote:
    well we too missed you here.. so bring up some new hot topic...
    I m sure that while the time you took the break, there must be a lot of new information to share...
    So bring it on

hey yaar .. i guess this topic isn't that bad .. . can't we just start rt frm here until i get a new topic??

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:08 AM
  • ThanksVarun, for contributing more into it Smile
    Good work is always appreciated.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:39 PM

• Who is saying that MS is not strong, and yes MS do care about the students but it is not that they should misinterpret the power of others.. Google has a lot of hidden potential that we dont know about.. so they should take care of it....
    Friday, April 13, 2007 3:16 AM
  • yea. . .. .MS is strong .. . . but they musn't consider Apple too weak nor google. . .. ..
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:49 AM
    Please dont find this offending but did you ever tried your hand on Apple ???
    It is said that Apple is the most user friendly OS in the world.. Its just that we have not tried our hand on it, we think that it is not user friendly.. my advice, find a showroom near your place Of APPLE and try it out.. you will change your thinking after it..

yea. .. truly.. . . apple is too cool. .. .guys just give a try. .. . its simply awsome.

Friday, April 27, 2007 1:11 PM
  • Dear Friend,

Your are posting such an useful matter. How do you grasp all these.

Do going on with these kind of post. It is very much obsesive to all.

Go on and on.

Regards,

Friday, April 27, 2007 1:52 PM
  • Now Fredrick its nice to see people encouraging but its not enough.. we all share things with each other and thus increase our knowledge,, but i m out of stock now... as only 2 or 3 people were discussing.. so put in some of your knowledge and thoughts and than we can go on and on and on....
    Friday, April 27, 2007 2:07 PM
  •  Fredrick _Sahaya_2d3542 wrote:

Dear Friend,

Go on and on.

Regards,

thanks for the encouragement. .. .. . i liked it. . will try ma level best . ..

Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:40 AM
    Now Fredrick its nice to see people encouraging but its not enough.. we all share things with each other and thus increase our knowledge,, but i m out of stock now... as only 2 or 3 people were discussing.. so put in some of your knowledge and thoughts and than we can go on and on and on....

yea. .. rightly said. . ..

Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:51 AM

All replies

• nice info.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:14 AM
  • nice one man.. keep it going.. this is what we had discussed in one of your threads before.. Also the architecture of apples os is too simple, that is the reason why hackers dont get a loop hole so easily to hack the os.. Microsoft has to take care now, because Apple is entering its market now, till now Apple was mainly only in Europe, but now it has entered Asia and also India...
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:27 AM
  • @ Varun,

you just can't pass any comments about architecture of an OS. architectures are never simple and need lot of time and devotion for designing and understanding.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:54 PM
  • @ sanket
    Man simple word dosen mean simple so simple, sit down and start comparing the OS structures of both Apple and Microsoft, Now microsoft has build OS which would work on any piece of hardware, so it has to be a general one, and so it becomes complex, leaving loop holes..
    Apple has its OS integrated into the hardware, that is the OS are specific to the hardware, they Apple OS cannot be installed on any hardware.. This makes it simpler to design and less loop holes... I think i have made the point clear...
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:09 PM
  • Nice answer Varun.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:13 PM
  • But the Apple has become highly dependent on Hardware. This way, it's not gaining lot of audience. Now its ok that MAC is supporting Intel. Here, there will be the right competition.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:19 PM
  • If MS gets frightened by Apple, then we all should become Apple Student Rockstars Stick out tongue
    Monday, April 2, 2007 4:36 AM
  • Haha Nice one Harshil.. but the culture at Apple and Microsoft are both different, you will get an idea of it once you study about Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple, the ups and downs he has faced..
    As sanket said that Apple has become too stringent with the hardware, but things are changing, with the use of intel, Apple is also changing, lets see if we can get MAC OS which can be installed on our hardware..
    If its available, than do tell me, I would like to try out my hand on it..
    Monday, April 2, 2007 2:55 PM
  • I would surely like to try mac os on my pc; )
    Monday, April 2, 2007 3:23 PM
  • for that, you need to consult site of apple.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Thanks for sharing this info here man !
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 12:40 PM
  • hey. . .guys . . .was out of MS studentrockstar forsome time ... now we can resume our great discussions. .. keep  posting. . thnks for replying
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:16 PM
  • well we too missed you here.. so bring up some new hot topic...
    So bring it on
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Thanks for the info.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:02 PM
  •  YOGESH_SAXENA_15fbaa wrote:
    Thanks for the info.

You are welcome guys....Wink

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:04 PM
    well we too missed you here.. so bring up some new hot topic...
    So bring it on

hey yaar .. i guess this topic isn't that bad .. . can't we just start rt frm here until i get a new topic??

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:08 AM
  • Ya this topic is good, but no one is replying..
    I will give one more point in it.. Well when Apple releases a new upgraded OS, most of the time there are no higher hardware requirements, the new OS can be upgraded on you old pc and it will enhance the usage of the Hardware to the optimum level,,,
    But in new Windows OS, there is always a need for higher hardware requirements, even if you install the new OS in old hardware, it will just slow down the OS..
    This is one of the major differences in Both the Companies...
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:59 PM
  • ThanksVarun, for contributing more into it Smile
    Good work is always appreciated.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:39 PM
  • nice info
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 6:21 AM
  • i don't think tht MS should even bother to think abt APPLE

coz the whole student power is wit MS...as MS does a lot of activitys for stu..

and contests...event and much more....

and more over MS is the only one who cares abt students.....

I m wit MS ...

Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:24 PM

• Who is saying that MS is not strong, and yes MS do care about the students but it is not that they should misinterpret the power of others.. Google has a lot of hidden potential that we dont know about.. so they should take care of it....
    Friday, April 13, 2007 3:16 AM
  • yea. . .. .MS is strong .. . . but they musn't consider Apple too weak nor google. . .. ..
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:49 AM
  • good info dude...but it is like this.....microsoft's os are much more user firendly than apple's.......yes they have problems....u expect them in any os..but is is good to have competiotion so that microsoft always thinks of giving the customers the best
    Monday, April 16, 2007 9:33 AM
  • Please dont find this offending but did you ever tried your hand on Apple ???
    It is said that Apple is the most user friendly OS in the world.. Its just that we have not tried our hand on it, we think that it is not user friendly.. my advice, find a showroom near your place Of APPLE and try it out.. you will change your thinking after it..
    Monday, April 16, 2007 3:25 PM
    Please dont find this offending but did you ever tried your hand on Apple ???

yea. .. truly.. . . apple is too cool. .. .guys just give a try. .. . its simply awsome.

Friday, April 27, 2007 1:11 PM
  • Dear Friend,

Go on and on.

Regards,

Friday, April 27, 2007 1:52 PM
  • Now Fredrick its nice to see people encouraging but its not enough.. we all share things with each other and thus increase our knowledge,, but i m out of stock now... as only 2 or 3 people were discussing.. so put in some of your knowledge and thoughts and than we can go on and on and on....
    Friday, April 27, 2007 2:07 PM
  •  Fredrick _Sahaya_2d3542 wrote:

Dear Friend,

Go on and on.

Regards,

thanks for the encouragement. .. .. . i liked it. . will try ma level best . ..

Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:40 AM
    Now Fredrick its nice to see people encouraging but its not enough.. we all share things with each other and thus increase our knowledge,, but i m out of stock now... as only 2 or 3 people were discussing.. so put in some of your knowledge and thoughts and than we can go on and on and on....

yea. .. rightly said. . ..

Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:51 AM