Windows Home Server and Windows 7: Backup hangs - Determining which clusters have changed RRS feed

• Question

• My backups hangs right after I have started it. Backup status says 1% "Determining which clusters have changed" and nothing is not happening. I started backup in the evening and the status was same in the morning, after 9 hours...  It worked just fine before installing Win 7 in Windows Vista. I did not upgraded Vista, Win 7 is fresh install.

Windows 7 Ultimate and MS Home server PP 3.
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 8:18 PM

Answers

• Do any of the computers involved use Realtek NICs? If yes then that might be part of the problem... See my thread of (I think) a similar problem. Also see here
    • Marked as answer by Mika Honkanen Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:19 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:37 AM

All replies

• Have you checked the disk on your client PC?

Open a command prompt and run:
     chkdsk /r
    --
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 11:41 PM
  • I have checked all disks with chkdsk, twice - All seems to be just fine, no problems found.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 8:44 AM
  • Have you done any successful backups with this machine before.  I'm having trouble finding the refernece again but I saw a post from around 7th January that said there was an issues with one particular network driver that could cause a problem with backups.  Try rolling back your network driver to see if that you have the same problem.
    --
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:20 AM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 11:10 AM
  • I have done successful backups with this machine with Windows Vista OS. Now I upgraded it to Windows 7 (clean install) and backups are not working anymore. Now backup has been running 24 hours and it's 2% complete and saying still "Determining which clusters have changed".
    Monday, February 8, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Run the configure backup but this time uncheck the 100MB System Partition and see if you can backup just your main partition. 

--
    Monday, February 8, 2010 11:43 AM
  • Done. Now trying to backup only drive C:, after 1,5 hours 6% complete and status "C: Determining which clusters have changed"...
    Monday, February 8, 2010 1:15 PM
  • and now after 7,5 hours 11% done.... so it's not hanging, but it is VERY slow.... and it still saying "C: Determining which clusters have changed"
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Yes it's very slow. What hardware do you have in terms of storage? How big is your disk?  What software other than Windows 7 have you installed.

If you copy a large file from your HD to a memory stick and back again what transfer speed to you get.  I'm trying to establish if the whole of your disk system is slow or if it's just during the backup.
    --
    Monday, February 8, 2010 8:02 PM
  • It's brand new SATA disk, 1 TB. Windows 7 installed couple days ago, plus Abode PhotoShop, MS Office 2007 and AntiVir antivirus. and of course Chrome, Firefox, Adobe reader etc...

There is about 80GB data on my drive C. Total capacity like mentioned already is 1TB. I just copied 1,74GB file from another internal SATA disk to this one and it took 35 seconds.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 8:18 PM
  • I've had brand new disks go down on me before but I think something is interferring with the backup process and I'm suspecting AntiVir might be the cause - can you disable it and try again. 

Also recently I've seen a few Windows 7 backup problems and I've been pointed my finger at network drivers from Realtek.  If you have a Realtek card you might want to see if trying different drivers remedies the problem.  

--
    Monday, February 8, 2010 9:39 PM
  • It worked just fine before installing Win 7 in Windows Vista. I did not upgraded Vista, Win 7 is fresh install.

Did you use the same computer name for the Win 7 build that was used on the Vista build?  I've had odd back-up issues that were only resolved by going with a different computer name.  Don't know the root cause, but, WHS maybe trying to compare the back-up of the Vista client to the new Win 7 build.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 11:34 PM
  • Good thinking working1.  However, you should be able to delete the previous computer instance from the Windows Home Server Console Backup Tab  and then do a Cleanup Now from the Settings Backup Tab.

I thought client machine keys were randomly generated - but they might be done by an algorithm that would result in the same keys being generated.
    --
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:04 AM
  • Do any of the computers involved use Realtek NICs? If yes then that might be part of the problem... See my thread of (I think) a similar problem. Also see here
    • Marked as answer by Mika Honkanen Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:19 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:37 AM
  • Good idea, but... :-) I'm using different computer name after installing Windows 7...
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:39 AM
  • BIG Thanks to MeWa, I updated my Realtek NIC driver in Windows 7 and now it works well !!

Also thanks to Al West and working1 for your support here !
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:10 AM
  • BIG Thanks to MeWa, I updated my Realtek NIC driver in Windows 7 and now it works well !!

Also thanks to Al West and working1 for your support here !

Quick question - which Realtek driver did you use? From the realtek website?
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:11 PM
  • I fixed my Realtek NIC problem by enabling jumbo packets (9KB MTU).  I was testing driver version 7.012 (released 2/22/2010) with no luck.  After 5 hours I was at 22%, I then enabled jumbo packets mid-backup and went from 22% to finished in under 15 minutes.  Including the backup of a completely separate partition at 50%.
    I like pie!
    • Proposed as answer by Jammrock Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:41 AM
  • I fixed my Realtek NIC problem by enabling jumbo packets (9KB MTU).  I was testing driver version 7.012 (released 2/22/2010) with no luck.  After 5 hours I was at 22%, I then enabled jumbo packets mid-backup and went from 22% to finished in under 15 minutes.  Including the backup of a completely separate partition at 50%.
    I like pie!

I have Jumbo packets on at both ends (7KB MTU) but the problem persists. Can you post your chipset number as well? I am using late 2009 drivers for both my RTL8168 and RTL8169 chipset, have tried the 1/2010 drivers without success.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:31 AM
  • For the benefit of someone who may have the same problem - I tried every combination of driver I could, going back as far as 2007. Finally the only thing that worked were the drivers from Feb 2010 (at both ends), and Jumbo frames turned off.

Performance hit I guess, but it works!
    Monday, March 1, 2010 6:17 AM