PS2010: One resource gets "An unknown error has occurred" trying to access the Tasks page RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue with one resource that can't seem to resolve. This resource gets an "An Unknown Error has Occurred" when clicking on the Tasks page in PWA2010. The resource can access PWA2010 and all pages except the Tasks page. I've gone throught the following and the resource still cannot resolve this problem.

• The resource is assigned to only one task in one schedule. Checked the one task to which the resource is assigned and see nothing wrong with the task. Other resources also assigned to the same task and can access/update their progress no problem.
    • Checked the resource's user profile and see no problems with the account setup or group/category settings. All other resources with same settings not having any problems.
    • Made minor change to profile to get it to re-sync, still same problem.
    • Did a complete Active Directory Resource Pool synchronization (actually several) and still same problem.
    • Double-checked the resource's AD account active, which it is and able to access all other PWA pages and other apps outside PWA.
    • Built a completely new task, added resource to new task, deleted old task, and repbulish, but still the same problem.
    • Double-checked SharePoint settings and made sure resource in the Team Members group, still the same problem.
    • Tried to unpublish and republish the task in the schedule, same problem.

Any ideas what else to check or look for?

Rick Frisby
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:58 PM

Answers

• hello,

I have the same Issue as Rick VF describes.

I tried all kind of trick and also update database statistics for all project database. with queries which are publish in this forum i tried to find "broken" task but without result. also in ULS logs a cant find anything relevant.

only one workaround which help me to resolve this issue is:

1)Delete enterprise resource from server
    2)Again load resorce pool from AD
    3)Open project where was resource assign (in this moment Project store "origin" resource as Local resource)
    4)Bulid new team - and replace local resource with enterprise resource
    5)Publish

This is only one way how i can fix this problem.

I dont understand what could cause this issue, but think that it was task added to project within timesheets.

Tomas

• Marked as answer by Rick VF Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:51 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Tomas,

Your response fixed the problem! Our database folks did an exhaustive look throught he logs, looked at the database, ran sp_updatestats and exec sp_updatestats and no change. After exhausting all other means, I did as you suggested and

• Completely deleted the resource from EPM2010 using Delete Enterprise Objects
    • Forced an AD Sync in Active Directory Resource Pool Synchronization
    • Re-established all the supplementary information in the users account and ERP
    • Added the resource back into the schedule using Build Team from Enterprise Resources
    • Replaced the local resource (created by Project when the enterprise resource was deleted) with the newly created enterprise resource (note, this only replaces the remaining work, not the actual work)
    • Saved and published the project

The resource can now access the Tasks page in EPM2010 and was able to update progress against the task. Sure wish I knew what caused the problem, but many thanks to you Tomas for your input to help fix this problem.

BTW - Not sure it was a Timesheet issue as we do not use timesheets, but still had the problem.

Rick

Rick Frisby
    • Marked as answer by Rick VF Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Rick,

What do the SharePoint ULS logs show at the time of the error?

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Not much that I can make out. I'm not a tecnical person, so most of the log is jibberish to me. I searched around on it and don't seem to be able to pull up anything indicating the problem being experienced or anything tied to the user having the problem during the reported time (about 9:15 server time). What should I be looking for? I'll be glad to pour through this, just need to know what I am looking for. A key word, condition, etc. would be helpful. Here's log data from close to that time.

Rick Frisby
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Hi Rick,

I have seen this before and this on these occasions was caused by a SQL timeout. It might worth just updating the database statistics on ProjectServer published database then retest with this one user. To update the database statistics open SQL Server Management Studio, connect to your Database engine, click new query, select the Project Server Published database from the drop down menu next to the execute button. Type exec sp_updatestats and click the execute button.

Once this has executed please retest the tasks page.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Paul

Friday, October 14, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Hello,

I have met the same problem on some random resources.

The error message was :

"The 'maximum bytes per Read operation' quota (4096) has been exceeded while reading XML data. Long element start tags (consisting of the element name, attribute names and attribute values) may trigger this quota. This quota may be increased by changing the MaxBytesPerRead property on the XmlDictionaryReaderQuotas object used when creating the XML reader"

• Edited by SoA Friday, October 14, 2011 9:36 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:36 PM
  • hello,

I have the same Issue as Rick VF describes.

I tried all kind of trick and also update database statistics for all project database. with queries which are publish in this forum i tried to find "broken" task but without result. also in ULS logs a cant find anything relevant.

only one workaround which help me to resolve this issue is:

1)Delete enterprise resource from server
    2)Again load resorce pool from AD
    3)Open project where was resource assign (in this moment Project store "origin" resource as Local resource)
    4)Bulid new team - and replace local resource with enterprise resource
    5)Publish

This is only one way how i can fix this problem.

I dont understand what could cause this issue, but think that it was task added to project within timesheets.

Tomas

• Marked as answer by Rick VF Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:51 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Thanks Paul, I'm trying to get that done now. On EPM2007, I had access to both app and DB servers. Now that we've upgraded to EPM2010 for this program and our Enterprise Systems group controls all DB servers on that platform, they won't let me access. When we set this up, updatestats was part of the daily maintenance plan, so I've asked them to not only run updatestats, but verify the maintenance plan is running. Been waiting since the 1th. Things take alot longer under the new system. Go figure :(

Rick Frisby
    Monday, October 17, 2011 4:34 PM
  • I'll pass that one along to my DB folks to see if they can ID that in the logs. Thanks
    Rick Frisby
    Monday, October 17, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Thanks Tomas. I'll try this next if the updatestates doesn't work. I'll delete the resource, resynchronize the ERP, then add from ERP and swap out the resource on the task (as I read, deleting will cause the resource to go local), then publish. Hope that will fix as this resource is getting pretty frustrated (as am I) about now. Thanks again. 
    Rick Frisby
    Monday, October 17, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Hi Rick,

Even if you have the updatestatistics task in the SQL maintenance plan, I would still advise to test running the exec sp_updatestats command then ask this user to test as they do different things.

Paul

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Thanks for the tip. We did check for this condition on app and db server, but didn't find a like condition. 

Rick Frisby
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Tomas,

Your response fixed the problem! Our database folks did an exhaustive look throught he logs, looked at the database, ran sp_updatestats and exec sp_updatestats and no change. After exhausting all other means, I did as you suggested and

• Completely deleted the resource from EPM2010 using Delete Enterprise Objects
    • Forced an AD Sync in Active Directory Resource Pool Synchronization
    • Re-established all the supplementary information in the users account and ERP
    • Added the resource back into the schedule using Build Team from Enterprise Resources
    • Replaced the local resource (created by Project when the enterprise resource was deleted) with the newly created enterprise resource (note, this only replaces the remaining work, not the actual work)
    • Saved and published the project

The resource can now access the Tasks page in EPM2010 and was able to update progress against the task. Sure wish I knew what caused the problem, but many thanks to you Tomas for your input to help fix this problem.

BTW - Not sure it was a Timesheet issue as we do not use timesheets, but still had the problem.

Rick

Rick Frisby
    • Marked as answer by Rick VF Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Another solution seems to work here :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/e543fd11-0aff-455e-844b-58f4b3c0e113

The rebuild of SQL database index could solve the issue.

• Edited by SoA Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:02 PM
    • Proposed as answer by SoA Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:59 PM
  • you're welcome rick :)
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:51 PM