"We got Served" - Terry Walsh- contacted Steve Ballmer about the DE removal RRS feed

All replies

• Interesting to read:

(Thanks Terry!!!)

Thanks for the link Leen, it is an interesting read. I had not been to the site for a couple of weeks and appreciate the fact you posted the link here.

Time will tell whether Terry's email will help but given Vail is, from my point a view dead in the water at this point, it cannot do any harm.

Also to echo your sentiments, a big thank you is owed from WHS fans to Terry at the wegotserved site for his very clear email to Steve Ballmer.

Dave

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:32 AM
  • I blogged about the removal of DE yesterday from my perspective (if you're interested http://bit.ly/dLQt8m but it's really just to add to the voices and provide actual real-world experience as to DE's value).  In some ways I feel that supporting and development of WHS is almost an obligation for Microsoft because so many of us rely on them for the things we cherish (photos, media, etc.).

Anyway, I think there are (at least) 2 lessons to glean from other products on the market.  The "niche-ness" of WHS is somewhat perspective-based for a company with such a massive install base.  But, Apple was able to make backup "cool" with Time Capsule.  Steve told everyone to go get one (and even replace their existing wifi router), and people did.  And it just worked.  And nobody seems bothered by the fact that Time Capsule has a single point of failure.

WHS has huge advantages over Time Capsule.  But nobody really knew about them.

So, some WHS marketing was pretty cool, but it wasn't really as effective.  Maybe it was a name choice ("Server" = "Scary" maybe?  why not Windows Backup Box?), or maybe it was "too functional" (e.g. just focus on backups or something).

But somehow, backup has to be cool... because, wow did it ever save my family's bacon 5 or 6 times.  Then people learn about the other cool stuff it does.

The other lesson I see is hardware specification.  Microsoft doesn't have to make the hardware... but the way Windows Phone 7 has been tightly controlled vs. Windows Mobile has lead to a much smoother roll-out.  Perhaps if that could have been applied to WHS, it would be less "niche" as well?

Other things like Xbox integration etc. need some work (on the Xbox side).  But making backup sexy is hard.  

I think if you remove Drive Extender, you've gone back to making WHS just another headache to manage.  WHS needs to "just work" and DE was a big part of that for home users on a budget that could get to Fry's Electronics once every couple years for a bigger hard drive.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:48 PM
  • No problem, Leen. Given the scale of community feedback we saw last week, I figured it was worth sharing.
    MVP - Windows Home Server | http://www.wegotserved.com
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:13 PM