Is WHS 2011, still a viable solution to back ups and storage. (hardware failure, should I rebuild?) or move to Server 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• I first build my WHS back in 2012( https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4e6d2fa5-587c-466c-ad80-dc52a64c0b66/can-not-install-home-server-2011-via-usb-dvd-or-usb-boot-drive?forum=whs2011#bc32f05f-8b21-44ec-a612-252e096bacc8 ) and have had some good use for it, getting back ups of my notebooks, steaming some music and/or movies and overall storage. But most recently, it basically failed to turn on, I know that the issue is most likely the motherboard, as it is a old, very old, Intel 975X.  Now, I have considered changing the board and see if maybe it will load up, but I know with a complete Hardware change, it may fail to boot (load). I can not locate my original installation disc, I am will to purchase another one, but my overall question is it still worth some use.

Looking at going to : Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

Christopher Espinoza MCDST(XP), MCITP(Win7)

Friday, April 24, 2015 6:14 PM

Answers

• Depends on what you mean by support. WHS2011 will continue to receive security fixes until 2021 or thereabouts. It is just that no new features and other bugfixes will be supplied and God knows we used to get these all the time until now (not!). It seems that W10 clients will connect, so that is good. So, I would not say WHS 2011 is dead, I would say it has almost reached maturity and will only die around 2021 and suddenly (would not want to have RDP and RWA without security fixes, but if you close the Server up you could go well past that).
    • Proposed as answer by Susie Long Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, May 6, 2015 3:19 AM
    Friday, May 1, 2015 6:06 AM

All replies

• Unless you just feel the need to spend 400 bucks for essentials, I would stick with home server. Of course if you could get yours booted it would save a 60$ trip to ebay for Home Server Software

Grey

Friday, April 24, 2015 11:38 PM
  • Different viewpoint from me. If/when my two WHS2011 Servers fail me I will be torn as to the way ahead. It has served me well and there is no better backup system for multiple computers. However, support from Microsoft ends next year (not sure of the actual date) so in effect it is dead. I use W8.? as a media server (music and video) but I have not identified a different backup solution.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, April 25, 2015 12:38 AM
  • Depends on what you mean by support. WHS2011 will continue to receive security fixes until 2021 or thereabouts. It is just that no new features and other bugfixes will be supplied and God knows we used to get these all the time until now (not!). It seems that W10 clients will connect, so that is good. So, I would not say WHS 2011 is dead, I would say it has almost reached maturity and will only die around 2021 and suddenly (would not want to have RDP and RWA without security fixes, but if you close the Server up you could go well past that).
    • Proposed as answer by Susie Long Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, May 6, 2015 3:19 AM
    Friday, May 1, 2015 6:06 AM