Hard drive question and sync questions RRS feed

• Question

• OK I ran the trial for two weeks and that was enough for me to get busy and buy the full version. Unfortuantly I had my raid card take a dump, no biggie as I had not transferred and deleted files from my other computers. Anyways, dropped everything into a new case, I have two scsi drives 176 each plugged into a backplane that I sawzalled off of an old server I had LOL....should see it I have the damn scsi cable and the power connector running out the back to the top and the two drives sitting in there little cage hot glued to four little square chunks of rubber with a fan blowing under them on top of the unit. Inside I have a 4 port sata card in raid 0 with 4 tb drives and then I have a 4 drive sata cage (3ware) mounted in the drive bays, that gives me another 2TB. A quick note I love this server, I was out of town and had thought I had some pictures of a project on my laptop, I didn't I fired up the tether and dialed home bingo saved my ____! so all my remote access is working, I have 9 computers between my shop and home running various flavours of windows 7. I just installed w7 64 bit on my personal machine, the server didnt even blink.

I installed synctoys but don't like it, I looked at Vice Versa but that program made me wanna puke. I need to be able to have say my documents totally synced with all my computers and do this automatically, say I make a document and save it to my documents on my personal machine I need that to appear in the same folder on the server. Any ideas? I was chewing on the thought well why not just simply redirect "my documents" on all my machines to point to the server? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this vis a vis w7, any ideas?

Lastly, what is the procedure to have a total backup for the server? 100% redundant? I have no shortage of hard drives, I can easily add another sata raid card, and then add another 3ware cage externally say 4tb total for backup. To date all the drives I have added I have had the server add them to the "pool" and all has been well. So any ideas would be welcom on that front too. I also noticed that on my LAN when I am transferring files over to the server either drag and drop or direct save my speed runs around 8 Mbps to 12 Mbps, this is direct wire by that I mean via a router a switch another router and then a switch to the server...should I drop a 1 gig nic in the server? Eventhough I am running 100?

Thanx all I appreciate it.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 6:11 AM

Answers

• I installed synctoys but don't like it, I looked at Vice Versa but that program made me wanna puke. I need to be able to have say my documents totally synced with all my computers and do this automatically, say I make a document and save it to my documents on my personal machine I need that to appear in the same folder on the server. Any ideas? I was chewing on the thought well why not just simply redirect "my documents" on all my machines to point to the server? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this vis a vis w7, any ideas?

I use a 2-stage process. Syncplicity runs on all the PCs (I don't think it will run on the server). It instantaneously & reliably updates the files on all the PCs in real time, whenever one changes.
    For syncing with the server, I use Second Copy running on one of the PCs. It will sync with the server as often as you like.

http://www.syncplicity.com/

http://www.secondcopy.com/
    • Marked as answer by bs953 Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:38 PM
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:59 AM

All replies

• I installed synctoys but don't like it, I looked at Vice Versa but that program made me wanna puke. I need to be able to have say my documents totally synced with all my computers and do this automatically, say I make a document and save it to my documents on my personal machine I need that to appear in the same folder on the server. Any ideas? I was chewing on the thought well why not just simply redirect "my documents" on all my machines to point to the server? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this vis a vis w7, any ideas?

I use a 2-stage process. Syncplicity runs on all the PCs (I don't think it will run on the server). It instantaneously & reliably updates the files on all the PCs in real time, whenever one changes.
    For syncing with the server, I use Second Copy running on one of the PCs. It will sync with the server as often as you like.

http://www.syncplicity.com/

http://www.secondcopy.com/
    • Marked as answer by bs953 Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:38 PM
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:59 AM
  • I would recommend against redirecting your "My Documents" folder (or any other shell folders) to your server, even if you're running a version of Windows that allows you to do so (only the business and ultimate versions of Windows 7 will permit this, I believe). Using a tool which syncs your folders is probably a better solution. There are many such tools; for folders I want to sync with my server I still use SyncToy if a manual sync is acceptable, or robocopy if I want a more automated solution. :)

As for backing up your server, there is no procedure for creating a 100% complete backup other than backing up every hard drive in the server at the same time, using an alternate operating system (Acronis True Image booted from rescue media, other linux live distro, etc.). The tool which Microsoft provides for server backup will allow you to back up your shares, but nothing else. You can find an add-in (Backup DataBase Backup) which will back up your backup database as well, but there's no supported way to back up other system state information.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:48 PM
  • Hi Ken I knew you would jump on this one LOL I was coming to that conclusion on the folder redirect, which then makes the 100% backup a little less critical. I do have a full version of Acronis, I will dig around in that program and see whats up. I can also talk to my rep about it. Thanx that never crossed my mind. As to robocopy, thats a really good idea too, another one that I missed, and also second copy from the other reply above. The whole point here is that I dont want to have do anything manually. Then from this lesson, my best bet is to make sure that my'shares' are the folders that have all my files in them, thus those I can backup. You have a good point there also, I can always reinstall the OS and if i have 'my shares' backed up to another set of drives I should be good to go then? Off I go to look at the suggestions here. I am only running W7 Ultimate on all my machines, gonna torture the laptop today and see how it likes it. LOL the last machine....well one must wonder if I could drop w7 on a Mac? a G3 lol now there is caveat!
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:38 PM