none
I reinstalled windows and i cannot validate... RRS feed

• Question

• the overview of the situation : i reinstalled vista after having some viruses and a rather cluttered hard drive, i could not validate when i installed and thought "oh, it will just validate itself automatically like it did last time" and now i am being prevented from using my computer at all, i constantly get an error saying it is already in use, yet that windows has been uninstalled...
    i NEED help... i need to use this computer for my college work etc.
    is there a way around it? i dont want to have to buy a new copy of windows just so i can use the one i bought and used already..
    this is extremely agravating to me, so excuse me if i sound a little aggressive.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:04 AM

Answers

• first of all i'd like to thank you for your replies and the help you have given me on this problem.
    for how i fixed my problem.. my brother is a certified microsoft.. i can't really remember what title it was, but he knows alot about the microsoft vista xp and to some extent windows 7 operating systems, so i asked him what i should do.
    he said (as Carey had suggested to me) to call microsoft and tell them about the problem and that i had reinstalled vista, but before i reinstalled didn't get an error with my key.
    (this is just a heads up to those who may reinstall anytime soon)
    now, the first time i called i had only followed the instructions, typed in the numbers requested, and got told to contact acer (the manufacturer of my computer) to no avail.
    however the second time i called microsoft, i explained to them the situation, and that i had reinstalled vista etc, i was put straight through to customer services where i was able to recieve a new product key.
    although inevitably i did have to reinstall, having to borrow a friends installation CD because i had installed the wrong OS, i assumed it was home basic because i saw it on the login screen (or what i thought was home basic), anyway, my product key was for home premium. and because the key was already in use when i had reinstalled, it did not automatically choose which OS it was going to be installing.

Thanks for your help,
    Ash.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:01 AM

All replies

• You can reactivate your Windows Vista installation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Carey Frisch
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:13 AM
  • part of the problem is how i am presented with my computer as i log in;
    it just loads slui.exe (the activation window) and gives me the options:
    "acivate windows online now"
    "access your computer with reduced functionality"(This will also allow you to buy a product key online)
    "retype your product key"
    "show me other ways to activate"
    i have tried all of these methods, all of them don't work, although with the "access your compuer with reduced functionality" option let me run firefox to come here, and managed to run task manager to run explorer etc so i can access my computer again. however, i am constantly given the error "not enough quota space" whenever i try to run something other than firefox. and after 30 minutes of logging in, i automtaically get logged out (presumably by slui.exe because it has a "timer" of some sort.)

i tried to call microsoft with the phone activation, i followed all of the instructions, and was told to call acer (my computer manufacturer) since they were unable to verify my key.
    i tried to call acer 4 times, and got no answer.

there must be something i can do to stop this? i uninstalled my last installation of vista so my key should not "already be in use" like.. i don't know, perhaps you guys at microsoft didn't get the "message" when i uninstalled vista that the key isnt being used anymore, if that is the case i don't have any of the things from when i got the laptop (for christmas two years ago) ie, the box, driver disk  and more recently the installation disk for vista. so reinstalling is not an option i can take sadly.
    although i am able to take a picture of the "product key" on my computer if any doubt about my key being counterfeit.

sorry if i am blabbering on, but this is kind of an urgant situation i have at the moment.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:42 PM
  •   In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1)    Login to Vista and click the option that brings up an internet browser.

2)    Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3)    A window will come up asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”, Select “Run”

4)    When the program runs, click the “Continue” button, then click the “Copy” button.

5)    Return to this thread http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/71D376DE-85AB-4A4E-BAFB-9236367D82D9.

6)    In a reply post, paste the Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:12 PM
  • first of all i'd like to thank you for your replies and the help you have given me on this problem.
    for how i fixed my problem.. my brother is a certified microsoft.. i can't really remember what title it was, but he knows alot about the microsoft vista xp and to some extent windows 7 operating systems, so i asked him what i should do.
    he said (as Carey had suggested to me) to call microsoft and tell them about the problem and that i had reinstalled vista, but before i reinstalled didn't get an error with my key.
    (this is just a heads up to those who may reinstall anytime soon)
    now, the first time i called i had only followed the instructions, typed in the numbers requested, and got told to contact acer (the manufacturer of my computer) to no avail.
    however the second time i called microsoft, i explained to them the situation, and that i had reinstalled vista etc, i was put straight through to customer services where i was able to recieve a new product key.
    although inevitably i did have to reinstall, having to borrow a friends installation CD because i had installed the wrong OS, i assumed it was home basic because i saw it on the login screen (or what i thought was home basic), anyway, my product key was for home premium. and because the key was already in use when i had reinstalled, it did not automatically choose which OS it was going to be installing.

Thanks for your help,
    Ash.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:01 AM
  • Hello Ash,

I can not tell from your last post if your issue is resolved or not.

If the issue is not resolved, please follow the steps I provided in the above post. This will give me most of the information needed for me to suggest a resolution.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:43 PM
  • issue assumed resolved
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:16 PM