file compatability RRS feed

• Question

• Well as usual the geeks at MS have No concerns with us real folks who buy their products. Just tried out S&T 2011, and found out it won't open or import any of my old S&T maps. Since I've spent many many hours building these maps, I have very little use for a program that can't open them.

And I am not about to waste even more time and expense chasing a work around, because I have one, the Old version of S&T I'll been using for years.

What ever improvements there may be in S&T 11, they can't compensate for years of map files. Funny how people who supposedly work with map files don't know that.

And for all you folks who think it's a challenge to constantly chase fixes, look at it this way. The more you fix their sloppy programming, the less incentive they have to do it right in the first place. As for the suggestion of buying several copies of S&T until you get the one that can bridge the file gap, it should be automatic, if you make so many changes to a program that it can't open older files, WELL YOU ARE THE PROGRAMMER, make a bride program to do that. It's your job and you are the one getting paid to do it.

Any way, I'll check back in a few years to see if any one at MS has bothered, but for now I have a real world to enjoy, even if I have to use an old map :o)

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Krashpass,

The program allows for multiple versions to be installed and used on the same computer simultaneously. You could open your file in the old version, open a new map file in the new version, and then copy and paste the items you need between the two windows.

Described here: http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/33-problem-opening-old-file-new-streets-trips-version-solution

Laptop GPS World

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:04 PM
  • I agree - I have so many older ones that I now cannot use.  Had I known this I would have gone with a different vendor's product.  Also, even though it says it will give you coordinates, you can only get once you have a GPS hooked up - how can you get them when it won't recognize a street address????
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:50 AM