presence shown as Offline to All users , cant ping anyone, have to relogin every 5-10 minutes. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i am facing a strange problem with my Microsoft Office Communicator 2007.

after every 5-10 minutes,. my status is shown as Offline to others, and no one can contact me, nethier can i ping anyone,

i have to sign out and sign in again to gain access. my outlook 2007 works fine.

is there any 3rd party software that Office Communicator is not compatible with ? or any software that could cause this to happen?

any kind of help would be really appreciated.

Friday, October 31, 2008 9:13 AM

All replies

• Try to install the latest communicator hotfix and see if it makes a difference.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ad57f8f-78f7-45f6-a8c0-805936f46645&DisplayLang=en

Greetings,

Tonino Bruno

Friday, October 31, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Are you the only user that is having this problem, or are stating that all OCS users appear offline to each other? Does this happen while connected internally, externally, or both? What type of deployment are you using (Standard, Enterprise)?

Take a look at the event log on your workstation and the Front-End (or Edge if external) server and see if there is anything related.

If it's just you then I'd guess your workstation is having physical network connectivity issues (software or hardware).  Is the workstation on a WiFi network?  You'll find that OC is more connection sensitive then most other application.  you could also try to use Windows Live messenger or another IM client at the same time to see if the problems extend to both applications.

Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:56 PM
  • I was the only person having this problem,

the problem was even when i connected internally, on LAN and WiFi

i had a VPN software for connectivity to a customer network.

i have uninstalled that, now the problem doesnt seem to occur.

also to be on the safer side, i also installed the hotfix suggested by Tonino Bruno

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ad57f8f-78f7-45f6-a8c0-805936f46645&DisplayLang=en

thank you all for your help.

Monday, November 3, 2008 4:08 AM
  • Sounds like the VPN client was the issue, as you were probably connecting over the tunnel to the internal OCS front-end server even when remote.  That type of connectivity can sometimes cause issues due to the sensitivity of the OC client.

Here's a tip: install client VPN software in a Virtual PC or VMware guest, not on your actual host.  I use this routine for connecting to multiple clients so that I'm not messing up the my host computer with additional VPN clients that may not play nice together.

Monday, November 3, 2008 2:34 PM