Recover a MS Money account from a back-up file i"a loose QIFnto my current file via "a loose QIF export" of the file RRS feed

• Question

• I have a printed copy of a January 20, 2016 3:43 AM discussion on "How to Recover a Deleted Account in Microsoft Money".  An account in my MS Portfolio recently disappeared (How? I don't know).  It contains transactions dating back to 1993.  I have followed the instructions suggested by Cal Learner until I got to the second posting where he answers FarMau's next question, which is similar to my own.  I don't know what "a loose QIF export of the ... file" is.  Can anyone please tell me how to do that? Thank you, so much.  LASmith77

P.S. I've heard that Microsoft will be bringing back MS Money!! Is that true, or just a rumor???

Saturday, September 9, 2017 10:39 PM

All replies

• When you do an export, there will be a selection choice of "Loose QIF" or "Strict QIF".

I think Loose is the default. Loose allows longer memo text and maybe longer other things.

Export each account separately. Name the files meaningfully. Import all of the files at once when you import.

File->Export...->LooseQIF->OK.

Sunday, September 10, 2017 4:07 AM
  • Cal, you're wonderful!! I got my *.QIF file containing my lost account onto my desktop!!! But I think I started with the wrong premise. The account I lost was a dummy "brokerage" account in my Portfolio which I set up to hold my Savings Bonds, Bank Certificates, miscellaneous investments I had acquired outside of my regular brokerages, etc. I thought I could import the whole Investment account, bringing the individual securities in with it. However, Money still has the old security names in its memory banks, and wants me to give every holding a different name. I'm going to try exporting a *.QIF file of the cash portion of the account, which should bring in all the transactions except those that didn't go through cash (transfers, splits, etc). If that doesn't work I'll need to export each holding individually (about 30 of them). Can you think of anything better and less time-consuming??? Thank you again, Cal, for knowing so much about MS Money, and rescuing me once more!

LAS77

Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:47 AM
  • You need to export your 30 accounts separately.

If you want to do the QIF export/import, export each of your accounts
    choosing a meaningful name.  I would suggest this: start the name of
    the QIF file for the investment accounts with an number,
    and start the name of QIF files for the cash accounts associated
    with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
    1BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause
    the investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash
    account.  When the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify
    that you want to track the cash transactions.  Then specify that
    the cash transactions account for BrownInvestment was where the
    BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Then File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account if asked.

Of course you will use a different filename for the new file, and
    you will have both versions to choose from when done.  I would also
    set up the backups to make sure they are using different names.

I am not sure that starting the investment accounts with a number is necessary,
    but I would do that.

Many things do not get carried, but you will end up with a clean file. Stock symbols are not carried,
    so you will need to put those in, in the Investment Details.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:58 AM