Cannot restore computer with restore disk - seems the LAN card gets turned off during disk boot up and then can't find server RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore a gigabte MB  machine which seems to have had a bad C: drive. I replaced the C drive with a duplicate Seagate 1T drive and tried to restore it using a Windows Server restore disk.  During the disk boot up, the lights that had been blinking on the ethernet card stop blinking. When the boot up is complete, the server can't be found. (seems like the network isn't connected). 

During boot, it finds the Lan card and the hard drive. 

I saw a note that says that if you are trying to restore a 64bit machine with a 32bit Restore disk, that you might need to obtain a 32 bit version of the network drivers. This doesn't seem to make sense though because at boot time how would it even know what machine I am trying to restore. I never get to tell it because the ether net does not seem to be working (turns off during DVD boot?)

The machine I am trying to restore is a W7 64bit machine. But how would restore know that if it can't connect to the server. 

I have used restore on other machines and not had this problem.  Any suggestions?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:57 PM

All replies

• Correct, you need the 32bit drivers because the restore disk is the one doing the system restore. It is based on Vista 32bit, thus you will need those drivers to work correctly for your network card
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:13 PM