Redo Windows Home Server 2011 with new hard drives RRS feed

• Question

• I picked up Three 3TB Western Digital Red Drives and would like to use them to replace the four 2TB Western Digital Green Drives that are in there now mainly because I am unhappy with the performance of these drives.   My question is if there is a good step by step procedure to follow to make sure I get a full back up of the server settings and data.  I have a 2TB USB drive I can use for that and was going to offload some of the media data to my desktop temporarily so that it should be able to get a full backup on that USB drive. 
    Monday, February 25, 2013 2:36 PM

Answers

• I would suggest using your external drive to do a backup of your current server (with as much data as you can fit) at least the primary disk which has your OS and first data partition - use the Dashboard to set that up. Then boot your server from the installation DVD and do a server restore to the disk you want to use in your new server - I would leave all other disks disconnected during this activity. Be aware that 3TB disks do not fit that well with WHS2011 as it will create a maximum partition of 2TB and, using the inbuilt Server backup, you will only be able to back up a maximum of 2TB.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, March 4, 2013 7:04 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 9:29 PM

All replies

• I would suggest using your external drive to do a backup of your current server (with as much data as you can fit) at least the primary disk which has your OS and first data partition - use the Dashboard to set that up. Then boot your server from the installation DVD and do a server restore to the disk you want to use in your new server - I would leave all other disks disconnected during this activity. Be aware that 3TB disks do not fit that well with WHS2011 as it will create a maximum partition of 2TB and, using the inbuilt Server backup, you will only be able to back up a maximum of 2TB.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, March 4, 2013 7:04 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 9:29 PM
  • I can make another partition out of that extra TB though right?  

Also is that for all drives in the system or just the primary drive?   So if I have three 3TB drives I will end up with three 2TB Partitions and three 1TB Partitions? 

• Edited by BOBIROC Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:55 AM Added information
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:13 AM